British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pizza dough (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pizza-dough-427889/)

Muswell Hill Feb 19th 2007 9:07 pm

Pizza dough

Does anyone have a good recipe for pizza dough? Tried many but most were crap.

Anyone?....

Leeds_Lass Feb 19th 2007 9:21 pm

Re: Pizza dough

Not I, I'm afraid I rely on premade from Wal Mart whenever I do pizza, digornio I think do one that's really good. Probably save yourself a lot of hassle...:p

Paul S Feb 19th 2007 9:36 pm

This will make a good 3 or 4 pizza bases (dependant on how big you want them). I normally portion it up and freeze it for whenever its needed.

1 Cup Warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups flour
2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pack dry yeast (or 1/4oz)

I make up a yeast stater with the water, yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup of flour, leave that for 15 mins then add in all the rest and knead for 10 mins or so then leave it to prove much like normal bread.

Lord Lionheart Feb 19th 2007 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill (Post 4423580)
Does anyone have a good recipe for pizza dough? Tried many but most were crap.

Anyone?....

Where in the US are you?
Trader Joe's does pizza dough in a bag, really cheap no frills, its a buck or two.
Roll it out, put sauce, cheese and toppings on and pop in the oven.
I hate the thick doughy commercial pizza's and prefer to roll my own out really thin-crust. I like it as it's the closest thing I've found to the pizza I got in Italy

marriedtothemod Feb 19th 2007 11:34 pm

that is a good recipe for pizza dough. if you want to have a really good crust, form your crust, sprinkle it with oregano (italian seasoning mix) red pepper flakes, garlic, parmasean cheese and bake it for about 5-10 min just until the crust is a very light brown. this helps eliminate that weird chewy texture and makes sure that your crust is cooked all the way through by the time your toppings are done.

Muswell Hill Feb 20th 2007 12:35 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 4424089)
Where in the US are you?
Trader Joe's does pizza dough in a bag, really cheap no frills, its a buck or two.
Roll it out, put sauce, cheese and toppings on and pop in the oven.
I hate the thick doughy commercial pizza's and prefer to roll my own out really thin-crust. I like it as it's the closest thing I've found to the pizza I got in Italy

East coast. No trader joes round here...sadly:(

Muswell Hill Feb 20th 2007 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 4423694)
This will make a good 3 or 4 pizza bases (dependant on how big you want them). I normally portion it up and freeze it for whenever its needed.

1 Cup Warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups flour
2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pack dry yeast (or 1/4oz)

I make up a yeast stater with the water, yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup of flour, leave that for 15 mins then add in all the rest and knead for 10 mins or so then leave it to prove much like normal bread.

Thank you very much. I will be making pizza tomorrow!

Cheers, MH!

Bob Feb 20th 2007 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill (Post 4424317)

I thought Maine was the only place that didn't have one :D

As for pizza....try a bbq base, makes a nice change...that and artichokes are lovely on 'em :)

NC Penguin Feb 20th 2007 12:53 am

Cary but soon in Chapel Hill!:)

NC Penguin

NC Penguin Feb 20th 2007 12:56 am

Originally Posted by marriedtothemod (Post 4424093)
that is a good recipe for pizza dough. if you want to have a really good crust, form your crust, sprinkle it with oregano (italian seasoning mix) red pepper flakes, garlic, parmasean cheese and bake it for about 5-10 min just until the crust is a very light brown. this helps eliminate that weird chewy texture and makes sure that your crust is cooked all the way through by the time your toppings are done.

That first 5-10 mins worth will be in a very hot oven. 425F! That way you don't get a soggy crust when you put your toppings on and continue baking (at the 425F).

I like my pizzas Italian style. i.e. very thin crust.

NC Penguin

Rete Feb 20th 2007 1:13 am

That's what we serve in New York and we don't cook the crust first. Nice and thin and oh so crispy.

Ben Feb 20th 2007 1:26 am

Where are you? I'm on the East Coast and we have Trader Joe here. I've seen them in many other places on the East Coast too.

My pizza dough is very similar to the one already given but for a breadmaker. We split it in two and make two huge ones and they come out nice and crispy if you do a hot oven, or softer in a 400f oven :)

Also make garlic bread pizza and pizza rolls stuffed with ricotta and different grated cheeses with the same dough. come out great. :)

NC Penguin Feb 20th 2007 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 4424422)
That's what we serve in New York and we don't cook the crust first. Nice and thin and oh so crispy.

No. The NY style pizzas are thicker than Italian, generally speaking.

NC Penguin

Maz Feb 20th 2007 2:07 am

You poor sod, you have my commiserations!

And I love your sig, I love Old Hookey! But the best?... Nah. :p Being an East Anglia girl I'm rather partial to Adnams.

Bob Feb 20th 2007 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4424521)
Being an East Anglia girl I'm rather partial to Adnams.

blimey, now there's a drink I haven't had in a while...me ole local use to have it as their cheapo beer...lovely :D