Pittsburgh?

Old Feb 15th 2012, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Lord_GG_Byron will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pittsburgh?

Pittsburgh is a great place to visit with kids. Lived there when I was 5. Lots of childrens museums and places to visit.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Canadian side it is then.

And as an added bonues, we get to tick the box on another country visited!
Oh, but the VIEW from the NY side to the Canadian side is really nice!

As for crossing over, be sure to take proof of right to be/return in USA - visa, green card, whatever. They care mostly that you are going back and not staying!
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Thats good to know - thanks - what sort of age is it aimed at? The Houston one is aimed at pretty broad range, but some that we've been to are more like toddler play areas. The one in Santa Fe won all sorts of awards, but when we went a couple of years ago, it was a big let down.
I'd say 3-12 is probably the key ages but there is a lot of stuff there that I didn't see. I thought it seemed kind of lame when we first got there but after a while and seeing all the different things you can do it was pretty sweet.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito

As for crossing over, be sure to take proof of right to be/return in USA - visa, green card, whatever. They care mostly that you are going back and not staying!
Actually, now, a passport is required!

The passport card is OK for this crossing though.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:45 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito

We've got a bunch of those fancy blue passports - they should work I think
Having said that, I bet I forget them because we'll be getting an internal flight to get there
Old Mar 19th 2012, 2:49 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Update - we spent Spring Break "up there".

Ended up flying in/out of Cleveland for the weekend as it was $200 per head cheaper (Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, Pacific Science center both excellent) then driving down to Pittsburgh for Mon-Thurs. A lot of stuff was closed until April, but had 2 days at the Carnegie Science Center, 1 day at the Childrens museum, another riding the inclines, walking the city and the rivers. Also managed to duck into Primanti's. All excellent. Very surprised with the city - a lot nicer than I'd expected - kind of reminded me of a combination of a few northern mill towns back home, even down to some pretty good curry houses!And everyone seemed to be in a good mood - maybe the unseasonably warm weather(?) - can't believe we took the ski jackets "just in case" - it was shorts and t-shirts all the way!
Then drove up to Niagara for 2 nights on the Canadian side, and I'm glad we did. Buffalo and the area around the NY side reminded me of the set from Mad Max. Views from that side of the falls very limited too. Canadian side definitely the way to go, although the "National Park" element was a bit run down to be honest - they could take some tips from some of the US National Parks. Shame the town had turned into an inland version of Blackpool seafront, but I guess they need to suck the money out of your wallet somehow, and they certainly succeeded in that! Restaurant prices were about double what we'd pay around here - not sure if thats the Canadian norm, or just a Niagara inflation element. But all in all, we had a good time there, and the falls were impressive!

Of the trip, the Kids' unanimous favorites were the Pittsburgh museums, which were "free" as we joined the Cleveland Science museum which has reciprocal rights.

So, some excellent tips guys - thanks a lot!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

And everyone seemed to be in a good mood - maybe the unseasonably warm weather(?)
I went to Pittsburgh airport - actually I should say I got stuck at Pittsburgh airport due to a dodgy connecting flight - and I found everyone there was incredibly friendly and in a good mood. Was taken aback by that; especially as it has the reputation as the epicenter of the collapse of the American steel industry. Everyone I met there was nice, except for one fellow - but judging by his huge mullet and the confederate flag on his leather jacket he was probably from the south.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Carla_California is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is working up in Pittsburgh for a few weeks, spanning Spring Break, so I'm thinking about going up to see her with the kids for a few days. Thing is, that part of the country has never made it very far up my "to go" list, so at a bit of a loss as to whats there! Any ideas what there is to do with 10, 9 and 6 year olds.
Thinking about a drive up to Niagara - is it worth it this time of year?
Is there any reasonable skiing close by?
Or other outdoorsy stuff?
How about any decent (kid friendly) museums?
Any "must see/do" things to fit in?
Thanks
My other half is from Pitt so well familiar. The kids museum is v good. Andy Warhol museum is worth a visit for adults and other than that there is decent shopping in the south side! If you fancy a drive then Ohiopile is a river that you can swim in, nice scenery. Kids seem to like it.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 3:36 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carla_California
My other half is from Pitt so well familiar. The kids museum is v good. Andy Warhol museum is worth a visit for adults and other than that there is decent shopping in the south side! If you fancy a drive then Ohiopile is a river that you can swim in, nice scenery. Kids seem to like it.
Hi Carla,

Don't want to hi-jack the thread but wanted to pop by and say hi and welcome you to the community. Hope you are enjoying it so far
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Niagaras about 3 hours I think - was thinking maybe an overnight.
More like 4hrs and maybe longer if you have kids with you. DC is another option - there's plenty to see and do there. However, why add a long drive to your trip? Why not just research things to do in and around Pittsburgh?
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Actually, now, a passport is required!

The passport card is OK for this crossing though.
Not necessarily.

http://www.dhs.gov/files/crossingborders/travelers.shtm

A US citizen can use one of the following:
- Passport book
- Passport card
- Trusted traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
- Enhanced driver's license
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
More like 4hrs and maybe longer if you have kids with you. DC is another option - there's plenty to see and do there. However, why add a long drive to your trip? Why not just research things to do in and around Pittsburgh?
You're right, it was more like 4 hours. Nice drive though - different scenery to round here. Washingtons about 4.5-5 in the other direction - hadn't realized it was that close. We may try that next time as it looks like my wife is going to be up that way till at least July.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Carla_California
We were staying not far from the Warhol museum, but didn't make it this time - maybe next.
Thanks for the tip on the river - sounds like one for the summer!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:14 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Pittsburgh is statistically one of the safest cities in the US. I was trying to convince my wife to move there instead of Boston. She won.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
That's still day trip territory though :/

But I agree about going to the Canadian side of the Falls as the US side isn't great...it seems everyone says the same
Having been there many times, I'd agree that the Canadian side is the best choice if you're only going to one side. However, you get a different look from the US side - Goat Island is worth a visit.