British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pigs must be flying - I got a job AND a credit card!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pigs-must-flying-i-got-job-credit-card-197627/)

datcha Dec 18th 2003 7:45 pm

Pigs must be flying - I got a job AND a credit card!!

It might be due to the virgin I sacrificed a couple of weeks ago or some hex has been lifted but I've had a double-whammy of good fortune this week!

I had an interview a couple of weeks back for an IT job at a big mortgage company out here in California - the bloody interview was 3 1/2 hours long - and I just found out they are offering me the job! I start next Monday and am absolutely over the sodding moon as I've been trying for ages to get an IT (actually any) job =))

So, as soon as I found out about the job, we headed off to the mall to get some new work clothes for me. And well, I thought I'd try and open an account with the store and amazingly it was approved - the funny thing is I'm still waiting for my secured credit card to come through and now I've got Robinsons May AND Mervyns where previously I'd been turned down by everyone.

Just thought I'd share the good news (and the badgers) and want to wish good luck to all you folks out there still searching.

Cheers,
David.

BritishInOhio Dec 18th 2003 8:05 pm

Re: Pigs must be flying - I got a job AND a credit card!!

Originally posted by datcha
It might be due to the virgin I sacrificed a couple of weeks ago or some hex has been lifted but I've had a double-whammy of good fortune this week!

I had an interview a couple of weeks back for an IT job at a big mortgage company out here in California - the bloody interview was 3 1/2 hours long - and I just found out they are offering me the job! I start next Monday and am absolutely over the sodding moon as I've been trying for ages to get an IT (actually any) job =))

So, as soon as I found out about the job, we headed off to the mall to get some new work clothes for me. And well, I thought I'd try and open an account with the store and amazingly it was approved - the funny thing is I'm still waiting for my secured credit card to come through and now I've got Robinsons May AND Mervyns where previously I'd been turned down by everyone.

Just thought I'd share the good news (and the badgers) and want to wish good luck to all you folks out there still searching.

Cheers,
David.

Nice one mate, I know it's a great feeling getting your first job here after looking and getting knocked back so many times.
Have a :beer: on me!

Poshpaws Dec 18th 2003 9:19 pm

Good luck to you old son..best Chrissie present(s) ever hey?;)

Lion in Winter Dec 18th 2003 9:44 pm

Originally posted by datcha

Cheers,
David.

Congratulations, but I thought Patirck was in charge of sacrificing virgins. :)

Pulaski Dec 19th 2003 1:23 am

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
..... I thought Patirck was in charge of sacrificing virgins. :)
No, he is just responsible for swearing at them. :D

Anyway, congrats on getting the job Datcha, and the credit card too. However very soon you'll be wishing that your credit wasn't quite so good as you'll find your mail box stuffed full every day with too-good-to-be-true, preapproved credit card offers. :rolleyes:

datcha Dec 19th 2003 5:20 am

Originally posted by Pulaski
Anyway, congrats on getting the job Datcha, and the credit card too. However very soon you'll be wishing that your credit wasn't quite so good as you'll find your mail box stuffed full every day with too-good-to-be-true, preapproved credit card offers. :rolleyes:
Thanks all! I'm still in a state of shock =/

Also, I really cannot wait until I start getting all those things in the mail - it'll make me feel like I've really arrived.

Now I'm working I can use my new found credit to buy a big ****off plasma at Best Buy.

God bless Consumerica!

Cheers,
David.

waxwabbit Dec 19th 2003 10:24 am

Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AmerLisa Dec 19th 2003 11:03 am

Congrats Dave! At least I can show my husband that the IT job market hasn't completely dried up and gone away. :D

datcha Dec 19th 2003 2:33 pm

Originally posted by AmerLisa
Congrats Dave! At least I can show my husband that the IT job market hasn't completely dried up and gone away. :D
Thanks! Its been tough tho.... I always knew that between me and the missus (USC) it was I who was gonna have the hardest time finding a position, espesh being in IT.

Since landing 3 months ago I've applied for about 60 jobs, received 10 automated emails, received 4 postcards thanking me for applying, had 3 days of freelance consulting and gotten 2 interviews. So as you can see it was in no way easy. I was almost resigned to the fact that I'd still be looking well into the new year.

Cheers,
David.

PrincessofWales Dec 19th 2003 2:53 pm

Congrats David...must be a great feeling.

3 months is pretty good going in the current climate...getting a job offer seems to creep up on you when you least expect it and boy doesn't it feel good when it does.

I am where you were, out of work but in telecoms which is right up there with IT....I've got lateral skills so hopefully something in another industry will come out....but for now its its frustrating.

Seems employers can demand a 90% resume/applicant fit to their positions these days, whereas in the past 50% would do and you were given the opportunity to learn and grow.

datcha Dec 19th 2003 3:06 pm

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
Congrats David...must be a great feeling.

3 months is pretty good going in the current climate...getting a job offer seems to creep up on you when you least expect it and boy doesn't it feel good when it does.

I am where you were, out of work but in telecoms which is right up there with IT....I've got lateral skills so hopefully something in another industry will come out....but for now its its frustrating.

Seems employers can demand a 90% resume/applicant fit to their positions these days, whereas in the past 50% would do and you were given the opportunity to learn and grow.
Totally agree. I think a large part of the problem is that the hiring process and resume sorting process is being done by NON-technical people who wouldn't know a Vax Alpha from a Sun Solaris and how the whole lot is pretty similar. They do seem to take a cookie cutter approach to resumes also so if it doesn't specifically say on your sheet the things they are looking for, they don't wanna know.

This position came about cos a recruiter saw my resume on his database from another position I'd applied for and thought I'd be a good candidate for the one I just got.

For me I think location has been a big factor also. Being just north of Los Angeles has helped a huge amount.

Even so I'm eternally grateful and it really is the best chrissie present I could've hoped for. Again, good luck to you and everyone else still waiting on that phone call =)

Cheers,
David.

AmerLisa Dec 19th 2003 3:14 pm

My husband works in telecoms as well. In fact he's just handed in his notice to BT today. Worried about the whole current situation and feeling an absolute fool for giving up a good job are up there high on his list of emotions. The things we do for love. :D Anyway, we're hoping that the fact we are willing to relocate just about anywhere in the US (well I have to draw the line at Texas - shudder) will help a great deal. Let's hope so. :)

datcha Dec 19th 2003 4:14 pm

Originally posted by AmerLisa
My husband works in telecoms as well. In fact he's just handed in his notice to BT today. Worried about the whole current situation and feeling an absolute fool for giving up a good job are up there high on his list of emotions. The things we do for love. :D Anyway, we're hoping that the fact we are willing to relocate just about anywhere in the US (well I have to draw the line at Texas - shudder) will help a great deal. Let's hope so. :)
We were in the same boat in the UK - good house, good jobs, good credit, etc. Basically our thinking was that its better to make the move than to sit in the UK wondering forever what would've happened if we had moved.

We came here to the US with no home, no jobs and no cars. We luckily have a small amount of savings and some great friends in California who we are staying with and confidence that we will make it work no matter how long it takes or how it finally works out.

A lot of our friends in the UK were flabbergasted that we were giving it all up but its just the type of people we are probably - a lot of my pals in the UK are just content to do the same things day-in day-out and thats fine - to me there's a big world out there and the next part of our lives together is in Los Angeles. Who knows where things will take us from there =)

Cheers,
David.