Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Physician Moving to Florida

Physician Moving to Florida

Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Axel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to all
Default Physician Moving to Florida

Hi everybody,

I have been a long time silent member of the forum, observing, digesting and utilising much of the important information that is discussed here. I have finally taken the first tentative step to thread, so be gentle!

I am moving to Florida in July 2010, I will be on a H1b sponsered by my hospital, however I have still not put the paper work through yet.

I have 2 initial questions that I would really like some help with:

1. I am planning to marry my finace in Sept 2010, coming back to the UK after July. Does this exclude her ability to petition for a H4, or does she need to be married to me at the time of my H1b Application which will be in the next 2 months?

2. Also I am hoping to go for a Green Card. I was wondering if there are any other physicians on the forum, who may have been in a similar position, and how they managed to get the GC.

Thanks a lot

Axel99:
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physician Moving to Florida

Originally Posted by Axel99
I am moving to Florida in July 2010, I will be on a H1b sponsered by my hospital, however I have still not put the paper work through yet.
What stage is it at right now? Has your employer filed the petition for you?

1. I am planning to marry my finace in Sept 2010, coming back to the UK after July. Does this exclude her ability to petition for a H4, or does she need to be married to me at the time of my H1b Application which will be in the next 2 months?
She can obtain the H4 whenever she marries you. It can be after your H1B is issued.

Rene
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Axel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to allAxel99 is a name known to all

Hey,

Just in the process of gathering the paperwork. Hopefully will be soon, the Medical Dept handling the situation are being a bit slow.

My finace obviously cannot work on H4, but i heared there was a clause that if she enrolled into a school course, then she could work up to 20 hours a week, is that true?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

How exciting for you.

Arer you doing fellowship or residency? There's a "welcome forum" on here where you can introduce yourself and your fiancee.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

I have matched in internal medicine. I am a GP in UK, and my finacee has a beauty salon which she will sell.

It is exciting but little worrying, as I said, with regards to the visa situation and green card!!!
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I have matched in internal medicine. I am a GP in UK, and my finacee has a beauty salon which she will sell.

It is exciting but little worrying, as I said, with regards to the visa situation and green card!!!
If your new employer is sponsoring you, they probably have a lawyer doing the paperwork so let them worry!

Where in Florida are you moving?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My finace obviously cannot work on H4, but i heared there was a clause that if she enrolled into a school course, then she could work up to 20 hours a week, is that true?
If she was on a student visa, she could do 20 hours, on campus work after the first semester. She could study on the H4 but not work.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent. I've sent you a little karma message. (Go to "my profile" and you'll see it there)

Your fiancee will ultimately need us more than you do
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am moving to Palm Beach. I interviewed there and fell in love. My finacee thinks its paradise. I am still working as a GP in the UK trying to earn as much as I can to talke with me, however diff to fit everything in, with organising a big move like this!

Any advise to me regarding the move, any tips that you would have done differently?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Any advise to me regarding the move, any tips that you would have done differently?
wiki is a good place to start and have a search for relocation, medical insurance and other threads, be a little on the general side but a good place to start
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am moving to Palm Beach. I interviewed there and fell in love. My finacee thinks its paradise. I am still working as a GP in the UK trying to earn as much as I can to talke with me, however diff to fit everything in, with organising a big move like this!

Dump everything, take only the essentials and buy everything else. It will be less stressful.

Palm Beach? Mmmm, that's had some serious crime recently with the influx of people moving out of Miami-Dade. But I'm sure you'll be in a good area.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it all. I didn't know physicians could slot straight into the US system if their qualifications were from another country. There are a lot of Chinese doctors working as post-doctoral researchers where my husband is.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Good luck with it all. I didn't know physicians could slot straight into the US system if their qualifications were from another country. There are a lot of Chinese doctors working as post-doctoral researchers where my husband is.

My friend in MA who worked in the hospital ran a boarding house and her renters were doctors from Indian who were interning at the hospital straight from their practices in India.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
He's going to be doing residency, ie as though right out of med school. Unfortunately. Although, the GP etc experience to date will form a fantastic basis for his internal medicine training

By the way, the VA recognizes some previous UK general medicine training. Or will hire without the USMLEs. or something like that.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
My friend in MA who worked in the hospital ran a boarding house and her renters were doctors from Indian who were interning at the hospital straight from their practices in India.
Ah right, it must depend on the country. I know my friend in England was trying to help an Indian relative who had qualified as a doctor in Russia get a job in the UK, but her qualification was not acceptable.

edit: Oh I see Ozzidoc. So he will have to re-train.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.