Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Phone interviews in the U.S.

Wikiposts

Phone interviews in the U.S.

Old Jan 5th 2013, 3:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone interviews in the U.S.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
True, the cheating opportunities are better.

Slow and clear are good reminders (the radio voice).
Sorry, I just edited/ expanded my tips, above.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 3:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sorry, I just edited/ expanded my tips, above.
Thanks. I shall attempt not to be weeded out during the first round. Just have to stay away from the cooking sherry and not ask them the names of their cats.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 8:10 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I shall attempt not to be weeded out during the first round. Just have to stay away from the cooking sherry and not ask them the names of their cats.
A wise decision on the cats. Reminds me of my theory on anyone who has five or more cats.....
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:02 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Try to take as much advantage from lack of visual contact as possible. Wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable. Consider standing up while you talk if you think it might give you more confidence. Make sure you have the freedom to move around too - if that's the kind of thing that helps you think. Consider how you prefer to 'be' physically on other phone calls which you've found difficult or challenging and maybe learn from that.

I'm in the standing up and moving around camp, so because of this I'd set my room up properly beforehand, having my resume, paper and pens for notes, glass of water etc. on a higher and easily-reachable surface (e.g. on the mantlepiece), and have a chair somewhere nearby that I can sit in if I fancy ready (i.e. not have to move it while I'm talking in order to sit down).

Make sure that you won't be disturbed during the call. Can you disable the doorbell? Do you have call-waiting (can that be switched off?) Noise from other rooms would disturb me - can you tell family members to bugger off out for a bit?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 12:18 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Try to take as much advantage from lack of visual contact as possible. Wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable. Consider standing up while you talk if you think it might give you more confidence. Make sure you have the freedom to move around too - if that's the kind of thing that helps you think. Consider how you prefer to 'be' physically on other phone calls which you've found difficult or challenging and maybe learn from that.

I'm in the standing up and moving around camp, so because of this I'd set my room up properly beforehand, having my resume, paper and pens for notes, glass of water etc. on a higher and easily-reachable surface (e.g. on the mantlepiece), and have a chair somewhere nearby that I can sit in if I fancy ready (i.e. not have to move it while I'm talking in order to sit down).

Make sure that you won't be disturbed during the call. Can you disable the doorbell? Do you have call-waiting (can that be switched off?) Noise from other rooms would disturb me - can you tell family members to bugger off out for a bit?
I will actually be in my current office for the interview (no landline at home or office-type space that I can conveniently spread out in, it's a small apt.), but at the end of the day when I won't be disturbed and in any case I'm locking the door - come to think of it I should do that during the day anyway, life would be a lot quieter....

My work phone only flashes a light if another call comes in, so that's ok, and I have plenty of space to spread out the work docs that I might want to refer to.Good point about the standing up, I can be a pacer when thinking.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:53 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

A comment that is probably too late for the OP but for later readers maybe...

After the first phone interview I had I invested in a headset attachment for the phone I was using. It allows much more freedom and a more relaxed approach, I discovered. Also leaves 2 hands free for paperwork and google referencing!
Old Jan 6th 2013, 3:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

Always have a question to ask them at the end when they say "do you have any questions"
Always worth asking who best to get in touch with for any follow up questions, whom you can email. Then write them a thanky email for their time with a follow up line along "if there were any questions that you might want further details" kind of thing.

Gives you the opportunity to fill in blanks they might have but not asked about.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Always have your notes nearby, regarding the job / company / experience for that specific job.

So you can answer What do we do?
What is our mission?
Company History?
Do not answer right away, take time to think of the question.

Rehearse rehearse rehearse, with someone who will not be your friend during the rehearsal.

Good Luck
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:18 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Do a bit of research on the company and product, so you can promote your skills as an advantage to their company needs.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:53 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, LiW - how did it go?

Didn't see this thread at the time but the job I'm in now started with an impromptu phone interview that had them asking to see me in person ASAP at the end of it. I hope yours went just as well as mine did ...
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Hey, LiW - how did it go?

Didn't see this thread at the time but the job I'm in now started with an impromptu phone interview that had them asking to see me in person ASAP at the end of it. I hope yours went just as well as mine did ...
I think I succeeded in not falling at the first fence, but I won't find that out until next week I think, which is the stated timeline for letting those who make it to the in-person interview stage know.

So, fingers crossed.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:33 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
A comment that is probably too late for the OP but for later readers maybe...

After the first phone interview I had I invested in a headset attachment for the phone I was using. It allows much more freedom and a more relaxed approach, I discovered. Also leaves 2 hands free for paperwork and google referencing!
The wired headset is better than a bluetooth headset, my phone battery went from fully charged to shutdown in about twenty five minutes using the bluetooth.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think I succeeded in not falling at the first fence, but I won't find that out until next week I think, which is the stated timeline for letting those who make it to the in-person interview stage know.

So, fingers crossed.
Great! Fingers crossed for you.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:51 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

So, fingers crossed.
Fingers indeed crossed
Old Jan 8th 2013, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Great! Fingers crossed for you.
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Fingers indeed crossed
Now, where the hell is my interview suit? And after two weeks of Christmas in England, will I still fit into it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.