Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Phone interviews in the U.S.

Wikiposts

Phone interviews in the U.S.

Old Jan 5th 2013, 12:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phone interviews in the U.S.

I have a phone interview on Monday as step one to getting a better job, first day back at work after holidays, and not only is it rather important but I've never done one before.

Any experience/advice/thoughts/warnings/derisive comments that might help me? Are they any different from normal interviews apart from the fact that people can't see each other?
Old Jan 5th 2013, 12:22 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone interviews in the U.S.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I have a phone interview on Monday as step one to getting a better job, first day back at work after holidays, and not only is it rather important but I've never done one before.

Any experience/advice/thoughts/warnings/derisive comments that might help me? Are they any different from normal interviews apart from the fact that people can't see each other?

I did my first and only for getting on with the trolley company. It was a bit odd but once I got used to it, I seemed to have more time to answer his questions, does that make sense? After the phone interview, then I had two more interviews, one with the Gen mgr and one with the Ops mgr. All this for 7.50 an hour.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

BritandDutchie is an unknown quantity at this point

same as in person, usually a tad less formal, like with in person, follow their lead
Old Jan 5th 2013, 12:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
After the phone interview, then I had two more interviews, one with the Gen mgr and one with the Ops mgr. All this for 7.50 an hour.
Streets paved with gold. aren't they.

I know it's really just a cheap way of weeding out the early non-contenders, and at least I don't have to get the suit out of mothballs for it, but the piece I don't like is that there will be no visual cues and clues for me to work with and respond to. Can't tell if they are smiling and nodding their heads or staring at each other saying "is she completely mad?"
Old Jan 5th 2013, 12:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One advantage to the phone interview, you can take it a little further with imaging them naked by being naked...if that improves your confidence

One thing though, with voices and no faces, can be harder to remember who's who if on speaker phone, so take more notes.

Have water on hand as these things can go on for a while...find a spot you know has good phone reception and not much background noise if not using a landline.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
One advantage to the phone interview, you can take it a little further with imaging them naked by being naked...if that improves your confidence

One thing though, with voices and no faces, can be harder to remember who's who if on speaker phone, so take more notes.

Have water on hand as these things can go on for a while...find a spot you know has good phone reception and not much background noise if not using a landline.
I don't think I want to see any of them naked. I've seen at least one of them with clothes on and that was quite enough.

More notes and water are good points though.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:00 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I had one, which was followed by a presentation and then a third face to face panel interview, although I did not get that job.

Similar question that you might expect in a face to face, I would recommend getting yourself comfortable and getting some sheets printed off (or on a tabbed sceen) with either CV main points or selling points that you want to remind yourself to get across.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I had one, which was followed by a presentation and then a third face to face panel interview, although I did not get that job.

Similar question that you might expect in a face to face, I would recommend getting yourself comfortable and getting some sheets printed off (or on a tabbed sceen) with either CV main points or selling points that you want to remind yourself to get across.
Yes, I'm doing homework. I like printed better than on screen. I'm locking myself in my office to do the interview, at the end of the day.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:18 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Streets paved with gold. aren't they.

I know it's really just a cheap way of weeding out the early non-contenders, and at least I don't have to get the suit out of mothballs for it, but the piece I don't like is that there will be no visual cues and clues for me to work with and respond to. Can't tell if they are smiling and nodding their heads or staring at each other saying "is she completely mad?"
Does the job require some phone skills, contact with clients, or vendors?

If you know some particulars about their business, let that ooze into the conversation if that is your style, but it doesn't hurt if they see that you have researched them. They will not expect you to understate your ability to contribute to the business, leave the British understatement at home.

Relax and be confident. If they do look at each other thinking you are mad, it shouldn't be a place you want to work.

Good luck with it.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Does the job require some phone skills, contact with clients, or vendors?

If you know some particulars about their business, let that ooze into the conversation if that is your style, but it doesn't hurt if they see that you have researched them. They will not expect you to understate your ability to contribute to the business, leave the British understatement at home.

Relax and be confident. If they do look at each other thinking you are mad, it shouldn't be a place you want to work.

Good luck with it.
Yes, I know this lot and have been working my contacts to soften them up for a while and get a bit of the inside scoop. I work in the non-profit world (apart from my salary I mean) but all the same you are right, they don't do understatement and self-effacement at all at all. I need this move though, it's a substantially better salary.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:51 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know this lot and have been working my contacts to soften them up for a while and get a bit of the inside scoop. I work in the non-profit world (apart from my salary I mean) but all the same you are right, they don't do understatement and self-effacement at all at all. I need this move though, it's a substantially better salary.
more than 7.50 an hour is good sez me,
Old Jan 5th 2013, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Phone interviews for the first round are very common. Often conducted by some drone in hr who has no idea about the technical aspects of the job you are applying for. Most times the drone will just want to walk through your Cv check you are who you say you are.

If they tell you ahead of time the name of people on the call Google them look them up on linkedin so you know their level of knowledge.

Always have a question to ask them at the end when they say "do you have any questions"
Old Jan 5th 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

Always have a question to ask them at the end when they say "do you have any questions"
Good thought. Thanks.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 2:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I've had several and given many. I landed my current role with one, though there was a second face-to-face before I was given an offer.

Tips:
Make sure ahead of time that you have a good phone line - if possible avoid using a cell phone unless you have great signal strength, and sit close to the base station of a cordless phone
Have your resume laid out in front of you
Have a glass of water nearby, and sip from it between questions
Listen carefully, ask for the question to be repeated if necessary
Take notes of key words and facts, such as the names of the interviewers, key parts of questions, etc
Make a special effort to speak clearly and a little slower than usual
Be sure to be somewhere quiet private with minimal distractions
Have any questions you want to ask written out in front of you
If you can type quickly and silently, sit at a computer with Google open - you might be able to find an answer to a question (and you can't do that in a face-to-face interview! )

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 5th 2013 at 3:12 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I've had several and given many. I landed my current role with one, though there was a second face-to-face before I was given an offer.

Tips:
Make sure ahead of time that you have a good phone line - if possible avoid using a cell phone unless you have great signal strength, and sit close to the base station of a cordless phone
Listen carefully, ask for the question to be repeated if necessary
Take notes of key words and facts, such as the names of the interviewers, key parts of questions, etc
Make a special effort to speak clearly and a little slower than usual
Be sure to be somewhere quiet private with minimal distractions
Have any questions you want to ask written out in front of you
If you can type quickly and silently, sit at a computer with Google open - you might be able to find an answer to a question (and you can't do that in a face-to-face interview! )

True, the cheating opportunities are better.

Slow and clear are good reminders (the radio voice).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.