Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Phone insurance....

Phone insurance....

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phone insurance....

We have two cingular cell phones, each is one number apart and when I renewed our equipnet 18 months ago I was persuaded to take out insurance on mine because of my line of work. A few weeks back O dropped the thing and since then it has been playing up, switching off mid conversation, freezing during text typing etc. I took it to a local store who told me that because it was under an insurance policy I had to call a 1.800 nimber. Kate called the number on Friday for me, the new phone should arrive by tuesday PM.

Now here's the thing ! ...... The premium is $3.00 a month and it seems there is a $50.00 deductable, the phone caost was only $85.00 in the first place. It seems I am paying $104.00 for an $85.00 phone And that just with the premiums I have paid so far ! ..... After the thing arrives I will cancel the policy.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:50 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Phone insurance....

We don't have insurance on our phones (Verizon), so when Mrs Texas_Dave's phone stopped working (it paid a visit to the washing machine! completed the whole cycle - I allowed it to dry for 2 days with the battery removed, it worked but the backlight had gone, so you couldn't see the display unless lighting conditions were perfect, ie no bright sun, and we are in Texas). Anyway,I bit the bullet and replaced it. Her father, who bought the original phone from Costco some 8 month previously asked if I minded him trying to get it replaced there. What do you know, they changed it, no questions asked! I'll do all my phone shopping at Costco.

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
We have two cingular cell phones, each is one number apart and when I renewed our equipnet 18 months ago I was persuaded to take out insurance on mine because of my line of work. A few weeks back O dropped the thing and since then it has been playing up, switching off mid conversation, freezing during text typing etc. I took it to a local store who told me that because it was under an insurance policy I had to call a 1.800 nimber. Kate called the number on Friday for me, the new phone should arrive by tuesday PM.

Now here's the thing ! ...... The premium is $3.00 a month and it seems there is a $50.00 deductable, the phone caost was only $85.00 in the first place. It seems I am paying $104.00 for an $85.00 phone And that just with the premiums I have paid so far ! ..... After the thing arrives I will cancel the policy.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Note to oneself ............. Must open a Costco account !

I went to Costco in Milton Keynes in March during a visit, good place.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 2:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler

Pay as you go or Contract.

On a contract they subsidise the phone.

But even so it seems pointless buying Insurance.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 2:38 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Phone insurance = massive con.
Spivs get paid a fortune to sell it and about as useful as payment protection insurance on your credit card.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 2:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
We don't have insurance on our phones (Verizon), so when Mrs Texas_Dave's phone stopped working (it paid a visit to the washing machine! completed the whole cycle - I allowed it to dry for 2 days with the battery removed, it worked but the backlight had gone, so you couldn't see the display unless lighting conditions were perfect, ie no bright sun, and we are in Texas). Anyway,I bit the bullet and replaced it. Her father, who bought the original phone from Costco some 8 month previously asked if I minded him trying to get it replaced there. What do you know, they changed it, no questions asked! I'll do all my phone shopping at Costco.
Take a look through this recent thread in the Trailer Park re. Costco

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385580
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Phone insurance = massive con.
Spivs get paid a fortune to sell it and about as useful as payment protection insurance on your credit card.
Dead right - most policies only give you a replacement phone - which is usually a reconditioned one anyhow. Given the huge number of people who have old phones lying around the house it's a much better idea just to get a replacement SIM and an old unlocked phone to use for the duration of your contract - then get a new subsidized phone when you are out of contract.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:38 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

My first visit here I needed a SIM card for my UK cell phone. As I had been on T-Mobile in the UK I visited a T-Mobile shop here in the US. I bought a replacement SIM card for $35 which had I seem to remember $25 of credit on it (this may be wrong, but it had some credit). The sales guy gave me a free cell phone to go with it, some promotion they had. It was a basic Nokia phone, but never-the-less a fully functioning cell phone. All for just $35!
I'm on Verizon now as we have a family plan, but took the cell phone to Canada and used a Candian SIM card in it for 3 months or so. Verizon doesn't use SIM cards so its not much use here now. Amazing how some companies can afford to give phones away, even when you don't take a contract out with them, yet others 'steal' $100 a month in charges and gripe about replacing a phone before the 12 months is up . . .

Originally Posted by Boiler
Pay as you go or Contract.

On a contract they subsidise the phone.

But even so it seems pointless buying Insurance.