British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Phone Culture (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/phone-culture-879771/)

BrownBandit Jul 2nd 2016 12:21 am

Phone Culture

So this is a weird one and I am curious if others experience the same thing.

People in my office, as well as people in public spaces, seem to use the speakerphone when they are on calls with others. I can hear almost every conversation in my office because it is so loud. I am also currently listening to someone chatting to a friend from the hallway of my hotel whilst using their mobile speakerphone. Also noticed it in a mall as well.

Just curious if this is a norm here and if drives anyone else crazy?

Needles to say, my iPod is getting good use at the office!

Bob Jul 2nd 2016 12:28 am

Re: Phone Culture

I can't say it's the norm around where I am. I've seen it around on the streets of some busy areas, probably when sound is shit otherwise and speakerphone makes it easier to hear.

It is rather odd though.

username.exe Jul 2nd 2016 1:10 am

One or two in my office do that, most don't.

kimilseung Jul 2nd 2016 1:19 am

Getting to be more common, as, people expectations of privacy are plummeting. I dont mind Google knowing when I scratch, but I still feel a bit awkward if my wife talks above a whisper so the next table can hear in a pub.

Pulaski Jul 2nd 2016 3:28 am

People don't use speaker phones in my office but it seems that at any moment throughout the work day there are three people in my office on the phone, and often more people - sometimes it seems to be eight or ten people. Then there are two people who are "walkers", pacing up and down while talking on a phone conference on their wireless headset - it is dämned annoying! :frown:

yellowroom Jul 2nd 2016 11:55 am

Originally Posted by BrownBandit (Post 11991439)
People in my office, as well as people in public spaces, seem to use the speakerphone when they are on calls with others. I can hear almost every conversation in my office because it is so loud. I am also currently listening to someone chatting to a friend from the hallway of my hotel whilst using their mobile speakerphone. Also noticed it in a mall as well.

Just curious if this is a norm here and if drives anyone else crazy?

Not so much in the office, as there is/was an expectation of consideration for others (didn't stop the air-guitarist, the desk drummer, the hummer of Chinese hymns, the social-life juggler....) and most use the wireless headsets when on long business calls. But yes, out and about in public people using their cell phones set on speaker phone, and holding it in a bizarre horizontal manner 6 inches from their face. Don't get it myself.

And yet in cars, people drive with their phones clamped to their ears instead of using either speakerphone or a bluetooth headset. I just file it mentally under "people are wierd".

civilservant Jul 3rd 2016 2:06 pm

I haven't noticed it much if at all, but my boss tends to if he calls me at home since he's usually typing or otherwise using a computer.

Anian Jul 5th 2016 3:45 pm

People tend to stop using speakerphones if you interrupt them with embarrassing/false information. Talking to a guy on the phone with his wife about his new girlfriend, ask if the cream has cleared up his warts, etc. Works best on personal calls, but business calls can work too.

Giantaxe Jul 5th 2016 4:22 pm

In my office speakerphones are deliberately disabled on the company's VOIP phones. Doesn't stop people using Skype on their computers or cell phones with the speaker turned on...

BrownBandit Jul 5th 2016 4:43 pm

Ha ha ha, well I am glad to see I am not alone in this. Thanks everyone for the anecdotes!

Marc_ely Jul 5th 2016 4:54 pm

Not noticed this here.
I do however note that lots of people (particularly women) say... mbye at the end of calls. Like Bye, with an M in front of it. Weird.

Sheepdip Jul 5th 2016 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 11991668)
.......and holding it in a bizarre horizontal manner 6 inches from their face....

Perfect description! Everyone does it around here, even in the car!

SultanOfSwing Jul 5th 2016 9:42 pm

Doesn't happen in work so often, thankfully, but it's one of the most obnoxious things I run into out and about, someone talking on their speakerphone in the shops or wherever. Anywhere public. Nobody wants to hear your inane conversations, please **** off and stay there.

Use speakerphone in the car, use the earpiece like a normal person everywhere else.

dj6372 Jul 5th 2016 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Marc_ely (Post 11994532)
Not noticed this here.
I do however note that lots of people (particularly women) say... mbye at the end of calls. Like Bye, with an M in front of it. Weird.

I'm afraid my wife is guilty of the umbye!

She denies it and calls me a dick!

Or is it umdick.....

Rete Jul 6th 2016 12:18 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11994835)

Use speakerphone in the car, use the earpiece like a normal person everywhere else.

I rarely use my cell phone because I'm hearing impaired. When I do use the cell, I must use it as a speakerphone otherwise I can't hear even with the volume turned to max. So on those rare occasions you can give me all the dirty looks you want and I will not louder the volume on the speaker nor stop speaking.

I know that the comments weren't directly to me or to people in my medical situation but I did want to explain that there is a small percentage of the population that have a legitimate cause to use a speakerphone in public.