British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Phone Cards...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/phone-cards-90674/)

Bob Autrey Aug 2nd 2002 10:20 pm

Phone Cards......

As a construction manager I move constantly. In recent years I've grown to rely only
on a cellular phone. Just found that I didn't need a land line??¿¿

I'm on the road all the time, and recently I've been working in Mexico a lot!

Problem is.... As a result.... I've made all of my calls to my fiancé using an AT&T
Calling Card (The prepaid kind from Sam's). I see that a lot of folks use telephone
records as documentary evidence of a valid relationship. But... I've also seen
messages that mention calling cards - "a pile of them"?

Does anyone know if call records can be easily obtained for a specific card (by it's
user as opposed to law enforcement authorities)?

In the beginning of my relationship with her I was largely unaware of the
requirements to keep all this kind of junk. I've never been one to spend much time
"documenting" my life - kind of the opposite of a bureaucrat - if you know what I
mean? Just never found much need for keeping things like old paid bills?? Anyway....
I used several phone cards then just tossed them. For the last several months,
however, I've taken to reloading the one card.

Anyone experienced in this issue at all?

Bob

Mrtravel Aug 3rd 2002 12:20 am

Re: Phone Cards......

Contact customer service for the card you have been recharging, and ask them if they
can give you a detailed call record.

If anyone else really needs documentation on calls, I don't think a pile of calling
cards without records will help as they don't show where you called.

I use Net2Phone for most calling card calls, and all of the calls are reported on
the website. It is 13.9 cents to Siberia if you use a local number or 18.9 cents if
you use the 800 number. I usually dial it on my cell phone, so any US local number
is toll free and I save 5 cents per minute. At home, I dial 1010275, and pay 11
cents to call Siberia.. I think Moscow is 8 or 9 cents. Those charges show up on my
PacBell bill.

If you don't have the phone records, then have enough other evidence. Not much you
can do, after all, if you don't have them, you don't have them.

I don't even remember if I ever gave the phone records. I know we printed a bunch of
email for the spouse visa in Moscow.

Michael

Just Jenney Aug 3rd 2002 2:54 am

This is slightly OT but a good a place as any to post this.

I found a really good pre-paid calling program online called BigZoo.com (http://www.bigzoo.com). You can make international calls from the US for CHEAP!! Mark lives in the UK, and it only costs me 4.5¢ per minute to phone him -- that's only $2.70 per hour!!

(I should say that I don't have a cell phone (gasp! it's true!), so I don't know what the rates are when calling from and/or to a cell phone. You'll have to check the site to find out.)

What's really great is that I can phone him from any phone with touch-tone dialing -- so if I need to ring him from work, I can do that without it being charged to my employer's bill. So it's very convenient in that respect. Also, BigZoo saves up to three months' worth of phone records, so you just need to remember to print them off from the website every so often.

Check out the site for more details, certain additional fees (75¢ per month membership, 50¢ extra if you call from a payphone, etc.), and what the rates are to call the places you're interested in. I've been using it for a month or so now, and have been very happy with it.

Just thought I'd spread the word!!

~ Jenney

p.s. Just want to reiterate that BigZoo is only good for calls originating in the US!!

rogerpenycate Aug 3rd 2002 11:43 am

Jenney,
Bigzoo is the one I'm thinking of using when I get to the US.
Here (in the UK) I use Swiftcall which is 4p/6c per minute to phone the wife in VA.
I've been using it for a couple of years and it's a great system.