Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Phone calls to the U.K.

Phone calls to the U.K.

Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:40 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Phone calls to the U.K.

Originally Posted by lansbury
I didn't think Orange used geographic numbers I thought they used their own mobile numbers.
Bad example perhaps, as they're a telco, but I was just pointing out that saynoto0870, while an excellent resource, is not exhaustive.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:50 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Bad example perhaps, as they're a telco, but I was just pointing out that saynoto0870, while an excellent resource, is not exhaustive.
I knew what you meant, but I am completing my N-400 and accompanying paperwork the send off on Friday, so have my pedantic head on.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:11 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
I knew what you meant, but I am completing my N-400 and accompanying paperwork the send off on Friday, so have my pedantic head on.
and YAY! Good luck with the process.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:33 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
and YAY! Good luck with the process.
Thanks
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

LucyVet is an unknown quantity at this point

We use Skype too (we have iphones and use the skype app), but we also use a Magicjack to call my parents. You pay $40 for the hardware (a little box you plug into your computer and connect the phone to) and the first year of service, and you get a phone number (choose any area code) with unlimited local/long distance calling. After the first year it's $20/year. So, we got a Magicjack and gave it to my parents in the UK, and now they have a US number with the same area code as us and can make unlimited calls to the US for free, so can call my cell phone any time for no cost.
I call their magicjack number either with our own magicjack (free) or my cell phone (normal US local rate). It's worked great so far, the only catch is they have to be online and their internet service isn't that great, but it still works pretty well.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I use Vonage, it's a landline, but I got our monthly charge down to $19.99 pm, the calls are ALL free, local long distance and to the UK, 24/7. We also use Windows messenger, it's free through the comp, we have web cam, so we can call each other on that and actually see each other too :-)
Old Aug 19th 2009, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Vote for onesuite.

What I particulalry like, is that you can setup the account to recognise your incoming number and realise you have an account... which means no pin numbers. You can have additional numbers, so I've done our mobiles and our land line.

It means whenever I want, I just tap "Onesuite" from the mobile contacts and it immediately prompts me to enter a UK number. Easy peasy and well priced.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 3:28 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Skype.<---- Full stop
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I use Skype. I have two phone numbers, one US and one UK. I also pay a $10 a month subscription. I get voicemail and unlimited calls to 35 countries. I use Skype to Go on my US cell phone. I dial a number and I can use Skype to call people and it doesn't cost a penny extra (except for cell minutes). Love Skype!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
I use Skype to Go on my US cell phone. I dial a number and I can use Skype to call people and it doesn't cost a penny extra (except for cell minutes). Love Skype!
Yep; I have that feature too - very handy.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

newcomer will become famous soon enough

We use Rebtel which is 2c/min to landline in the UK and 18c/min to mobile. I would really appreciate some advice on cheapest way to call UK mobiles from the US as our kids are at boarding school and are not allowed to use Skype because of the school's tight internet controls.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newcomer
We use Rebtel which is 2c/min to landline in the UK and 18c/min to mobile. I would really appreciate some advice on cheapest way to call UK mobiles from the US as our kids are at boarding school and are not allowed to use Skype because of the school's tight internet controls.
As far as I know, I think you are pretty much onto it with rebtel.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 4:53 am
Just Joined

angel uk-tn is an unknown quantity at this point

I use skype on my laptop with webcam. I have been using it for almost 3 years now. It's free to use from PC to PC and I buy skype credits to call landlines, which works out really cheap!!!! It has worked out at 12p to 14p a minute, it's easy to use and the quality is generally excellent.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by angel uk-tn
I use skype on my laptop with webcam. I have been using it for almost 3 years now. It's free to use from PC to PC and I buy skype credits to call landlines, which works out really cheap!!!! It has worked out at 12p to 14p a minute, it's easy to use and the quality is generally excellent.
I think you mean 1.2 to 1.4p a minute to landlines....
Old Aug 20th 2009, 6:25 pm
Another wandering Scot

Walkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really niceWalkingman is just really nice

Another Vonage fan here. Calls to UK landlines are free and you can up your subscription if you're in the habit of calling UK cellphones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.