British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Phone calls (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/phone-calls-286428/)

Dion Feb 24th 2005 8:18 pm

Phone calls

Can anyone give me any advice on what the best mobile package is for international calls (UK)...I have a Nextel but don't get enough minutes and it seems quite pricey...I have also found it difficult to find a good mobile that does international calls...Also can text messages be sent from here to the UK...Thanks for any good advice. :)

Dan725 Feb 24th 2005 8:32 pm

Re: Phone calls

Originally Posted by Dion
Can anyone give me any advice on what the best mobile package is for international calls (UK)...I have a Nextel but don't get enough minutes and it seems quite pricey...I have also found it difficult to find a good mobile that does international calls...Also can text messages be sent from here to the UK...Thanks for any good advice. :)

I'm a fan of T-Mobile, for the reason that they are on the GSM network and you can indeed send texts back and forth around the world. The US does seem to be a bit stone age with cell phones and strategies, seems weird that most of the phones (apart from T-Mobile and Cingular) don't have sim cards, use a proprietry network to the US and don't bloody well communicate with the rest of the world, generally.

Downside obviously, is coverage area, T-Mobile a bit of a spidery network, depends where you live and travel in the US. I think Cingular merged recently with AT and T, so maybe thats an option too, I'm sure they might be text compatible with Europe.

Franklin Feb 24th 2005 8:35 pm

You might want to try and use a pre-paid (or pre-charged) phone card that allows international calls - just ring the "1-800 #" to get the phone card company and pump in the UK number; if you stay within your minutes re: cell/mobile plan shouldn't cost you much at all.

You can find a "phone card" or "calling card" company on Google; just goggle "phone cards" and/or "calling cards". Hmmmmm, I shouldn't use "Google" as a verb ... naughtie.

mediaguru Feb 24th 2005 9:31 pm

If you really want to use a mobile phone for international calls, the best system is to use Gorilla Mobile - www.gorillamobile.com. They are only 5c per minute and charge to your credit card. You just log your mobile number with them and call them using your bucket of minutes. They even have a free trial.
I've used them for over a year and they work brilliantly. Absolutely no hassle, no spam and good quality. Stick them on speed dial.
:)

franc111s Feb 24th 2005 9:45 pm

I use MCI for my HOME phone - about 7c a min to the UK and domestic.

I use Verizon as my Cell Phone carrier but DO NOT call the UK as it's 65c a minute - scam.

However, with MCI, you get a calling card and can call from anywhere in the USA (pay phones, hotel rooms etc.,) to the UK for the same 7c rate and it's billed straight to your home phone at the end of the month. I love this feature.

So, I've programmed my Verizon cell phone to dial the MCI 1-800 number and automatically enter the calling card pin and numbers I want. Works great. Especially at weekends when the cell phone calls are free.

I text my sister and brother-in-law in the UK all the time although Verizon have now added a 15c a message surcharge for international. I think they all do it and I think it's crazy. Maybe the UK is charging them.

I've been with AT&T before and all I can say about Verizon is that it works virtually everywhere I go, all over the USA, driving and flying. I love Verizon.

AT&T might be better (or worse) now they've merged but Verizon has 40 million customers and are part owned by the UK Vodaphone.

Hopefully, if Verizon buy MCI, they will give us low call rates to the UK without needing the calling card.

Last but not least, if you travel to the UK, you can call the MCI operator in the UK (and 0800 free no.) and ask them to colllect call back to your HOME line only. Your home phone is billed the same 7c - works great if you travel on business and family is back in the USA.

Dion Feb 24th 2005 10:02 pm

I've just found out that i've used over 2000 minutes so far this month on a 800 minute plan...the minutes seem to get used for incoming, dialling, engaged lines, almost anything...a lot being mobile to mobile...looks like it'll be cheaper to fly home and talk in person. :rolleyes:

Lesley1020 Feb 25th 2005 12:37 am

Hi! I went with Sprint... got a great deal (I think anyways!) free Samsung picture phone, $35 a month for free evenings and weekends (including long distance) - I pay an extra $5 a month for evenings to start at 7pm instead of 9pm - and $4 a month for their international plan where I get calls to the UK for 5 cents a minute - works for me!! Oh - and also you get 300 anytime minutes...

Here is a link - you just put in your zip code and it will tell you the rates for your area ... http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/co...ageFocus=false

Then I think you just pick whatever regular package you want and then add the international as an extra feature :)

Bob Feb 25th 2005 12:52 am

Here's a thread on calling cards and the like: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...5&page=1&pp=15

And a recent one on lingo:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...2&page=1&pp=15

Somin' different...as for mobile phones, really does depend on where you live, and how you use it, if you don't leave your coverage area much etc...

Lesley1020 Feb 25th 2005 12:59 am

BTW.. I have used it with no problems (and excellent quality) in Texas, MA and Arkansas, and as long as it picks up a Sprint tower - no roaming charges in any of these places - in fact I have roaming turned off permanently on the phone and have had not a problem since day one :)