Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Phoenix, some of you live there right?

Phoenix, some of you live there right?

Old Dec 5th 2015, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phoenix, some of you live there right?

Amazing reduction in bills, Steerpike! Your pre-work bills are much more typical of what I hear people say they're paying, even in smaller properties.

The windows in our new house here in OH are very thin double-glazed, and don't seem very thermally efficient. We'll see how it goes this first winter, then perhaps cost out replacements. Usually we find, though, that the payback time on reduced ultilities is much longer than we're likely to live in the house (3-4 years seems to be our running average), and it doesn't add enough to the value to make it worth it as Americans seem to place thermal efficiencies very low in the list after marble countertops and fancy landscaping.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 3:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just for the sake of comparison, I own a 1,090 SF condo in Mesa. 2 walls are exposed, 2 walls join the neighbors. I am in a ground floor unit, so I have a neighbor living above me. The condo still has the original windows from 1987, but I have a new AC unit from about 1999. I usually keep the indoor temp between 73 - 76 year round. My summer bills are higher with the AC running constantly, but have never gone over $90, and are usually in the $75 - $85 range.

Rene
Old Dec 5th 2015, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Amazing reduction in bills, Steerpike! Your pre-work bills are much more typical of what I hear people say they're paying, even in smaller properties.

The windows in our new house here in OH are very thin double-glazed, and don't seem very thermally efficient. We'll see how it goes this first winter, then perhaps cost out replacements. Usually we find, though, that the payback time on reduced ultilities is much longer than we're likely to live in the house (3-4 years seems to be our running average), and it doesn't add enough to the value to make it worth it as Americans seem to place thermal efficiencies very low in the list after marble countertops and fancy landscaping.
I really didn't care about payback time; the design of my condo is such that the A/C unit is inside the living area, and is noisy. So I wanted to minimize the amount of time it ran. Further - with having windows on 3 sides - I could hear a fair amount of traffic noise and ... worst of all - the constant early morning lawn-mowing and leaf-blowing of the over-jealous landscaping company! The double-pane windows really helped with noise reduction all round.

I got a break on the A/C unit - the original was damaged in that massive hail storm that hit Phoenix (in 2009?) and the condo association was able to get all units in the complex replaced through insurance. The 'replacement unit' was the basic model, so I paid an 'upgrade fee' to get the best possible unit.

I will never again buy a unit that doesn't have the A/C unit placed in such a manner as to be relatively inaudible. I have to turn up the volume of the TV when the A/C kicks in - it's ridiculous (the air intake, and the unit itself, is right by where my sofa sits in the living room). Further ... the design of this complex is such that there is nowhere obvious to put the condenser outside, so they put them on the roof. So when my, or my neighbor's below, unit kicks in, I get the added pleasure of vibration from the condenser on the roof! Lesson learned - when buying a house/condo - make sure you run the A/C and determine if the noise level is acceptable!
Old Dec 5th 2015, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
My condo in Scottsdale is 1,400 sq ft, and when I bought it I replaced the windows and A/C unit with the best possible (most efficient) replacements. Similar to you, I keep the thermostat at 82 in summer (and like it that way). My last year of living there full-time was 2013, and my bills were $37 (Jun), $70 (Jul), $64 (Aug), $53 (Sep). Granted, I traveled a lot so multiply those by 1.25 for a more typical result. A condo is going to be less costly to heat/cool due to having neighbors but the design of my unit is such that I'm an end unit with windows/exposed walls on three sides (and I'm on the upper floor).

The unit is rather old (80's) and not well built/insulated - which is why I replaced the windows and A/C. Before I did that, Jan 2010 bill was $160, and my Sep 2010 bill was $180 (the original heater/ac unit was had electric coil heat, the new one has heat pump). Those figures also were during periods of heavy travel so multiply by 1.25 for more typical values.

Our current place is approx 600 sq feet, heating is base board electric, unsure of the wattage of each, but there are 5 in total and 4 thermostats.

Thermostats are kept at 64/65 most of the day, in the evenings when my wife is home it's at 68/69 for 3 to 4 hours.

First floor, with the outdoor covered car park under us and being an end unit, we only have 1 wall that borders the indoors, the rest are outdoor facing.

In summer 2 window a/c units.

Estimated cost for our current billing cycle is 106 dollars for the 58 days.

July/Aug was running 90 per 58 to 60 day billing cycle.

March/April was the lowest at 62 for the 59 day billing cycle.