Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Phoenix, some of you live there right?

Phoenix, some of you live there right?

Old Jul 14th 2015, 11:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phoenix, some of you live there right?

So I haven't been to Phoenix in a long time, and haven't lived there for 15 years now, so I am way out of touch with the region.

How is the cost of living these days?

Can 2 people making 8 to 10 per hour make ends meet?

(Keep in mind we make about the same in Canada once exchange rates are accounted for.)

Is rent reasonable still?

(We pay 850 in Canada, we would like to pay less.)

I am sending feelers out since we don't have the best opportunities up this way, and the cost of living in British Columbia is frankly getting too high that even having to pay for healthcare in the US, we could potentially be better off since overall everything is cheaper south of the border in most places.

Yes, we could move within Canada but that would take us a long way's from California and my family, and my wife only has her mom whom she is close to, so we would be really isolated anywhere else in Canada, and AZ isn't far from San Diego.

I am aware of the immigration hurdles we would have to go through, and we are not in any planning stages to move, just feeling around to see what is out there and how AZ is doing these days.

AZ specifically because of its closeness to California and closer to family, but without the high cost of California, although I'd prefer California, cost of living there (well in the places I'd want to live) is likely higher then Phoenix region.

It may never happen, just have to feel and see how things are these day's and go from there.....
Old Jul 14th 2015, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phoenix, some of you live there right?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
So I haven't been to Phoenix in a long time, and haven't lived there for 15 years now, so I am way out of touch with the region.

How is the cost of living these days?

Can 2 people making 8 to 10 per hour make ends meet?.
Phoenix metro has a wide range depending on where you live. I think you'd struggle in the trendy areas (Scottsdale and central phoenix) on two minimum wage jobs. Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler may be cheaper but I don't have personal experience there. I'm sure you can find rent that low but it depends on what you want to put up with.

You'll definitely need a car, two if you want to be independent.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Mesa and work in Tempe. Two $8/hr jobs will give you a gross income of only $33K. Two $10/hr jobs will give you a gross income of $41,600.

I live alone in a 2-bedroom, 2-bath, 1,000 SF condo that I bought in 1987. My gross income is $50K and I'd say I'm just comfortable.

I don't have experience in renting. Definitely need 2 cars.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:35 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I have spent a lot of time in Phoenix this year for one reason or another.

For those incomes, is going to be a bit of a struggle anywhere tbh. Over on the west side the cheaper areas like Avondale, Tolleson and to a lesser extent Goodyear might be in your budget.

You need a vehicle. More importantly before you commit you need to be sure you'll be okay living with the heat... I find it very uncomfortable, although the desert scenery is beautiful and the winter months are very pleasant.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised at how little wages have gone up in Phoenix, I was making 8.00/hr back in 2001 when I lived in Tempe and was working for America West, suppose back then it was a better wage.

We will make about 37,000 CAD this year here, about 29k US.

I'd probably myself look into working at the airport again, last time I lived there which was 15 years ago, I was in Tempe, not sure how much it's changed, back then it was reasonably affordable, some places seem affordable still, but I cannot recall where the bad parts of Tempe were.

Doing a quote for my old zip code in Tempe for car insurance, looks like we would pay about 50% less in car insurance, which isn't a surprise, we have super inflated car insurance in BC.

We may also be able to earn more, I don't like to over estimate salary since we are not skilled workers.

I suppose it all boils down to healthcare costs in the end, it's the only thing that will cost us more in the US most likely.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by username.exe
I have spent a lot of time in Phoenix this year for one reason or another.

For those incomes, is going to be a bit of a struggle anywhere tbh. Over on the west side the cheaper areas like Avondale, Tolleson and to a lesser extent Goodyear might be in your budget.

You need a vehicle. More importantly before you commit you need to be sure you'll be okay living with the heat... I find it very uncomfortable, although the desert scenery is beautiful and the winter months are very pleasant.
I lived in the heat there back in 2000/2001 and can deal with it, my wife would need to go experience it though (and we would not move without her visiting a few times to look around) don't think she has experienced anything over 90F or so since that is about the top of the temp spectrum for this region.

It's just been so long since I have lived there, I don't have any idea what it's like today.

I think I paid 575 a month back then for my apartment in Tempe not far from ASU.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I work in downtown Tempe, right on Mill Ave, and I can tell you it has GROWN! There are lots of apartments and condos in the area, all waaaaaay over your $850 range. There are older homes west of the university, but not sure if that's a safe neighborhood. Maybe some affordable apartments south of the university, lots of students living there.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2015, 9:04 pm

Just a quick search online turned up these (near Broadway/Rural): Onnix apartments $894 - $1104 for 2 bed 1 bath, higher for 2 bath. Desert Palm Village $920 - 1180 2 bedroom. San Marbeya $1199 -1346 2 bed 2 bath. Some others in the area but couldn't find pricing online.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2015, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I work in downtown Tempe, right on Mill Ave, and I can tell you it has GROWN! There are lots of apartments and condos in the area, all waaaaaay over your $850 range. There are older homes west of the university, but not sure if that's a safe neighborhood. Maybe some affordable apartments south of the university, lots of students living there.

Rene
I imagine it has.

It's hard to find a place these days with reasonable housing costs, we have the same issue here, and have run out of options to lower rent, Vancouver and surrounds are just out of control both for rent and owning.

We lack the skills to increase our income, so have to seek out lower options for rent.

(if we could get funding for school we would go back and get some useful skills, I am just no longer able to get funding up here, so stuck with my current skill level which isn't much.)
Old Jul 14th 2015, 10:20 pm

I'm assuming one of you is a USC, and you'll be immigrating based on marriage to a USC?

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2015, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'm assuming one of you is a USC, and you'll be immigrating based on marriage to a USC?

Rene
I am a USC. If we went to the US, I'd go first and find employment, get settled and she would come later, we wouldn't be able to move all at once most likely.

May never even happen, just looking at different options.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 2:23 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

What about Las Vegas? It might tick many of those boxes, although I don't know much about rents and costs of living there.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 1:32 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I'd probably myself look into working at the airport again,
When American took over US Airways a lot of those jobs went out the window so I'd be careful on that score.

Why don't you get a job with CBP, they always seem to be hiring more people in Arizona. You'd be an expert after reading all the stuff on here.

In fact - why don't you get a job with CBP at Peace Arch.

What can the qualifications be, the Border Patrol people who stop me at the fixed inspection points don't seem particularly bright.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steve_
When American took over US Airways a lot of those jobs went out the window so I'd be careful on that score.

Why don't you get a job with CBP, they always seem to be hiring more people in Arizona. You'd be an expert after reading all the stuff on here.

In fact - why don't you get a job with CBP at Peace Arch.

What can the qualifications be, the Border Patrol people who stop me at the fixed inspection points don't seem particularly bright.
There is another large airline in Phoenix named Southwest....

As long as AA keeps a hub there, they will need people to work those flights on the ground, be it in house or contract,

As for border patrol, here is their requirements, the ones in bold I cannot meet.

REQUIREMENTS
You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position
Referred for selection prior to your 37th birthday (waiver for Veterans)
You must have resided in U.S. for the last 3 years
You must successfully pass a background investigation
You must successfully pass a polygraph exam
Convictions of misdemeanor crime of domestic violence are disqualifying
You will be required to carry a firearm and have a valid driver's license
You will be required to work regular and recurring shift work
Entrance examination scores prior to December 1, 2014 are NOT valid
You must meet job-related medical, fitness and drug-testing standards

I haven't lived in the US the last 3 years, I cannot carry a firearm due to mental health issues, and I would not pass the medical and fitness requirements and further down the posting they clearly will require good credit.

They also say you need a bachelors degree or a combination of education and experience, that would start you at 39,000 a year.

They seem to need people thought, the posting was supposed to close today but has been extended several weeks.

If I was younger and healthier, I'd certainly try.. The pay range isn't half bad, double what I make right now, and would be a job with the pay we need, but it's never going to happen...lol

I am also quickly approaching the max cut off age wise which is 37.

Funny how the government can discriminate based on age, but they don't allow private employers to do so, seems they should be required to follow the same rules.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 20th 2015 at 4:21 am.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

J
Take a look at Tennessee. Getting two $8 to 10 per hour jobs would not be too difficult and the cost of living here is low. Any large city whether in Canada or US is going to be expensive.

This may be the dumbest thing you have ever heard but if you are a U.S. Citizen are you too old to join US Army? In a short time as a E-4 you would be making much more than you are comtemplating and have a career with good retirement and a lot of educational oportunities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.