Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Philly (couldn't bear the typo)

Philly (couldn't bear the typo)

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:46 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Philly (couldn't bear the typo)

I have a phone interview tonight regarding a job in the suburbs of Phillie.

Whats Phillie like? Although I'm getting older are there heaps of Bars, Cafes, Hot woman etc?

Is Phillie affordable currently I pay $800USD pcm for my 1 bedroom flat in Perth, Austalia.

Whats the best way to get to New York? Is it normal to go to NY for weekends?

Is Phillie safe? Any areas to avoid?

Cheers,

Weebie
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Phillie

jesus... 800 a month in perth... share house with 6 people?

when i was in philly i loved it, plenty to see and do... women not so hot hot but they did the trick
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

BrittanyB is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Weebie

They have something called the 'China Town Bus' which stops in Philly, and will take you into NYC for something like $20. It will also take you to DC and Boston. That is definitely the cheapest way (about a 2.5-3 hour trip), fastest might be train, but that is a lot more expensive.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

It's a great town, plenty to do. Lots of bars, restaurants, music.

My s-i-l has a nice 2-bed apartment in South Philly for $1300 pcm. She's in an OK but not great area. Figure $1500 for an apt in a good part.

Parts to avoid are North and North-East Philly. Center City is perfectly safe but expensive. West Philly is better closer to the universities - it used to be said avoid west of 40th St but these days you could push that 5-6 blocks further west. South Philly is better nearer South St: s-i-l is on Catharine which is the edge of the better parts.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is Phillie affordable currently I pay $800USD pcm for my 1 bedroom flat in Perth, Austalia.
It's hard to say if it's affordable, since we have no idea how much money you have left over after you've paid $800 for rent.

Whats the best way to get to New York?
Train.

Is it normal to go to NY for weekends?
Many people commute daily! It's not something I'd want to do, but lots of folks do it.

Ian
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:19 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I have a phone interview tonight regarding a job in the suburbs of Phillie.

Whats Phillie like? Although I'm getting older are there heaps of Bars, Cafes, Hot woman etc?

Is Phillie safe? Any areas to avoid?

Cheers,

Weebie

yelp.com
is not a bad way to check out a city. Do note that there will always be some bad mouthing of a place.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Any areas to avoid?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Badlands