Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Philadelphia weekend trip - Ideas

Philadelphia weekend trip - Ideas

Old Jun 14th 2015, 5:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Philadelphia weekend trip - Ideas

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Don't think I could manage one of those - haven't eaten red meat since I was 18. I guess Philadelphia is not well known for anything healthy?
Ooops! Never mind!
Old Jun 15th 2015, 4:48 pm
Cambridge / Philly.

NoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond repute

Philly Cheese steak is a bit underwhelming if I'm honest - I got one from Jims on South Street and it was average.

Reading terminal market is great, always eat lunch there when I'm in Philly.

Other good shouts for some food in center city are The Continental ( Continental ) and El Vez ( El Vez ). Both are really fun in a group and quite lively.

Art museum, Franklin institute, a walk along boathouse row are all fairly close together.

Walking around the historic parts is enjoyable. I've never bothered queuing for the liberty bell, just looked at it through the window every time!
Old Jun 15th 2015, 5:54 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

ScottUK1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the cheesesteaks are a rite-of-passage rather than something you're meant to really enjoy. I preferred Pat's over Geno's (they're opposite each other).

Eastern state penitentiary is pretty cool and worth a visit, plus the already mentioned liberty bell, franklin institute etc.

I'd recommend one of the city-seeing tours early on, gets you a better idea of the city and allows you to pick some places you want to explore more (plus its hop on hop off).
Old Jun 16th 2015, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions. We will be doing the bus tour - on and off on the Thursday afternoon to get our bearings and see what we want to see. Both in San Diego and Boston, we did the Duck trip - the amphibious craft thingy that goes in the water and on land. They were fun.

The Philadelphia Pass is $80 for three days and gets you into 40 attractions so the main ones are included as part of that.

Looking forward to a great weekend.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Geezer123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep hearing great things about phillie these days
Old Jun 16th 2015, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geezer123
Keep hearing great things about phillie these days
It's one of my favourite American cities - only the summer climate puts me off! I also feel it's the most American big city I've visited in the US. NYC has its pretensions to be Capital of the World, and DC is the national capital and so in many ways atypical of other big cities. Boston is lovely, but feels, like New England as a whole, just that bit different from the rest of the country.

Philly is almost literally on the Mason-Dixon line, both North and South, and always feels archetypically American to me.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard Philly referred to as Bos-troit - I.E the history and architecture of a place like Boston but with the severe urban issues of Detroit. From what I've seen recently on various site this is no longer the case and it's going in the other direction (gaining population and gentrifying).
Old Jun 20th 2015, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

samiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nicesamiam1066 is just really nice

Going to Philadelphia for a girl's long weekend end of next week. We've already bought the three day pass for the main sights/museums/boat trips. Any recommends for wine/bistro type restaurants, must see and do places?

Is Penn's Landing/Spruce Street Harbour worth spending some time in the evenings? Staying at the Le Meridien on Arch.

Plan is to walk to most places as read it is a walkable city (just got my Fitbit charge HR today!) Also the Arts festival at Manayunk - looks pretty cool?

Thanks for any ideas.
Suggest Fergies Pub on Sanson Street, has Saturday 4 pm free Irish music jam, also has cask beer and good mussels. I love Alma di Cuba to eat, there Lechon Asada is outstanding. Check out the Italian market on Saturdays and Sundays. Independence Hall and other historic sites explain the complications of American Independence. How they ever won still amazes me.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

What a wonderful city. Had a great weekend. The Academy of Fine Arts was beautiful. The Constitution Centre - very interesting (did not queue to see the Liberty Bell). Franklin Institute - light hearted entertainment. Lunch at Reading Market on sat was fun, what a great market - bought some cheeses. Didn't run up the Rocky Steps! Loved all the murals around the city. Wish we had the time to do a mural tour and the mosaic gardens.

Went to a gorgeous Greek restaurant - Estia (needed my fix of taramasalata). Wine and cheese at a lovely little place called Tria, Happy Hours at M Restaurant and the last night at Talula's Garden which was fabulous.

Where shall we go next?
Old Jun 24th 2015, 7:45 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Plan is to walk to most places as read it is a walkable city (just got my Fitbit charge HR today!) Also the Arts festival at Manayunk - looks pretty cool?
My step count has dropped considerably since we got back!!

I second that, it was a wonderful city (the company was pretty good too )
Old Jun 24th 2015, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I missed this thread. I agree that Philly is well worth a visit. I live 2.5 hrs away by car and have been a few times. My wife and I did a day trip with our 13 year old daughter last year and she loved it. We managed the following in one day:

- Liberty Bell (go early to avoid any lines - we got there about 9am and walked straight in and got unobstructed photos)
- Tour of Independence Hall
- Reading Market and had lunch there
- Benjamin Franklin grave
- Carpenter's Hall
- Franklin Post Office
- Benjamin Franklin Museum
- Photo with the Rocky statue and ran up the "Rocky steps" at the art museum (didn't go into art museum on this trip)
Old Jun 24th 2015, 10:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Where shall we go next? .....
Gastonia?
Old Jun 24th 2015, 11:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What a wonderful city. Had a great weekend. The Academy of Fine Arts was beautiful. The Constitution Centre - very interesting (did not queue to see the Liberty Bell). Franklin Institute - light hearted entertainment. Lunch at Reading Market on sat was fun, what a great market - bought some cheeses. Didn't run up the Rocky Steps! Loved all the murals around the city. Wish we had the time to do a mural tour and the mosaic gardens.

Went to a gorgeous Greek restaurant - Estia (needed my fix of taramasalata). Wine and cheese at a lovely little place called Tria, Happy Hours at M Restaurant and the last night at Talula's Garden which was fabulous.

Where shall we go next?
Chicago, Vegas, Vancouver...
Old Jun 24th 2015, 11:39 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Gastonia?
Oh dear ....
Old Jun 25th 2015, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
- Photo with the Rocky statue and ran up the "Rocky steps" at the art museum (didn't go into art museum on this trip)
AAARGH! It drives me crazy that people do this! The Philly Art Museum is a gem. Better than the Met in NYC I reckon, and on a par with the National Gallery in London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.