Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Philadelphia Airport - collecting my dog!

Philadelphia Airport - collecting my dog!

Old May 9th 2012, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Daisydoo66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Philadelphia Airport - collecting my dog!

Hey everyone, I'm new to this website as I'm moving with my American husband to NJ on 14th June this year, (so excited!) but we're flying with BA with our dog and cat. They are both fully booked onto the same flight we're on (thank god!) but I'm worried about how and where to collect them in Philadelphia as they agent we're using doesn't seem to know where we go?

I'm going to want to see them as soon as I'm off the plane so don't want to waste time phaffing around with finding out where to go!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Old May 9th 2012, 8:29 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Philadelphia Airport - collecting my dog!

Hopefully someone will be along who used Phillidelphia. If it helps, our dog was waiting for us at oversized baggage in Houston.

Last edited by Weeze; May 9th 2012 at 8:31 pm.
Old May 9th 2012, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Weeze
Hopefully someone will be along who used Phillidelphia. If it helps, our dog was waiting for us at oversized baggage in Houston.
Thank you, I never thought of oversized luggage! I was told that they would be waiting in the cargo terminal but someone else told me otherwise! It seems to be different rules for different airports/airlines!
Old May 9th 2012, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daisydoo66
Thank you, I never thought of oversized luggage! I was told that they would be waiting in the cargo terminal but someone else told me otherwise! It seems to be different rules for different airports/airlines!
We shipped our cat with BA (using Pet Air UK as the shipping agent) to New York JFK and we had to collect her from the BA cargo terminal - if your shipping agent can't tell you where to collect from (and they really ought to be able to!) then I guess try calling BA World Cargo directly.

If you do have to go to cargo, then the procedure at JFK at least is that you pick up paperwork from the cargo terminal, take that to the US customs office at the airport (which at JFK is at about as remote a location as it's possible to get and still be on the airport grounds), get the paperwork electronically authorised, then return to the cargo terminal, pay a small fee ($40 for us back in Jan 2011) and pick up. Be aware that only a person named on the paperwork can obtain the electronic authorisation from customs.
Old May 9th 2012, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rpjs
We shipped our cat with BA (using Pet Air UK as the shipping agent) to New York JFK and we had to collect her from the BA cargo terminal - if your shipping agent can't tell you where to collect from (and they really ought to be able to!) then I guess try calling BA World Cargo directly.

If you do have to go to cargo, then the procedure at JFK at least is that you pick up paperwork from the cargo terminal, take that to the US customs office at the airport (which at JFK is at about as remote a location as it's possible to get and still be on the airport grounds), get the paperwork electronically authorised, then return to the cargo terminal, pay a small fee ($40 for us back in Jan 2011) and pick up. Be aware that only a person named on the paperwork can obtain the electronic authorisation from customs.
Thnk you for the advice! Will definately check we're listed as the ones to collect (I know my father-in-law is listed as the emergency contact for them on the day). Very much appreciated!
Old May 10th 2012, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

Hi , we collected out cats in Philly when we came over 6 years ago and didn't use an agent but were flying with BA.

It took us a while to get through the immigration bit (queue and questions) and they were waiting for us in the Luggage area (it could have been the oversized bit... but not sure).

It's before you go through customs so have all the paperwork ready (although really they were more interested in what Jaffa cakes were than the cats!).
You could try calling the airport, and be ready to be handed around abit until you get to the right bit.

They were very happy to see us and their water bottles were empty, so either ensure you've still got some from the plane - or find the nearest water fountain (stationed outside the loos usually)

Good luck