Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Phil Collins

Phil Collins

Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:10 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phil Collins

Originally Posted by Manc
my mum has the album
"Phil Collins hits"

I think they put the space in the wrong place of the title myself, but there you go.
At last. Someone fights for truth, justice and decent music. Phil Collins could be locked in a lift for the rest of his days as far as I'm concerned - musak.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:25 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
At last. Someone fights for truth, justice and decent music. Phil Collins could be locked in a lift for the rest of his days as far as I'm concerned - musak.
well when his Hits album came out, it was battling for No.1 in the album charts with the Beautiful South. and Phil won.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

well when his Hits album came out, it was battling for No.1 in the album charts with the Beautiful South. and Phil won.
Just shoot me now.

"Phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust" (repeat, until feel better).
Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:39 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It's all subjective mate. I happen to think the Clash made about two decent songs and the rest was drivel along with the rest of punk. You'd disagree with that i'm sure. You probably think the Darkness and the Streets are fantastic as well...
Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:42 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_2003
the Streets are fantastic as well...
who the funk are the Streets?
Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:45 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

It's all subjective mate. I happen to think the Clash made about two decent songs and the rest was drivel along with the rest of punk. You'd disagree with that i'm sure. You probably think the Darkness and the Streets are fantastic as well...
OK, I've always wondered about Phil Collins - how true is the story of In The Air Tonight? It always put me off him a bit ...

http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/someair.htm

Claim: Phil Collins wrote the song In the Air Tonight after witnessing an incident in which a man refused to come to the aid of a drowning swimmer.

The story has to do with Phil Collins supposedly watching his close friend drown from a nearby cliff, while he stood helpless, too far away to rescue. In addition, supposedly there was a man who could have rescued the friend but just stood idly by. Then, Phil writes a song about the experience and gives the man a front row ticket to the show where he premieres the song. While Phil sings the song to him, the spotlight is on the man in the front row.

Does anyone know the truth?
Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:48 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah a real treat. He's basically a brummy who has been hailed "Britains answer to Eminem". I aquired a CD of his a few weeks ago. This guy raps over what sounds like a casio keyboard in his bedroom. The raps are usually about mundane things like going to the local blockbusters or getting birds. Utter shite.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:52 pm
@matthewb76

Ah a real treat. He's basically a brummy who has been hailed "Britains answer to Eminem". I aquired a CD of his a few weeks ago. This guy raps over what sounds like a casio keyboard in his bedroom. The raps are usually about mundane things like going to the local blockbusters or getting birds. Utter shite.
I'm so glad you weren't refering to the Manics...........then I'd have been pissed.

Britains answer to Eminem?
do we want a flippin answer?
Old Sep 30th 2004, 1:54 pm
Get em out by Friday

Originally Posted by dbark
OK, I've always wondered about Phil Collins - how true is the story of In The Air Tonight? It always put me off him a bit ...

http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/someair.htm

Claim: Phil Collins wrote the song In the Air Tonight after witnessing an incident in which a man refused to come to the aid of a drowning swimmer.

The story has to do with Phil Collins supposedly watching his close friend drown from a nearby cliff, while he stood helpless, too far away to rescue. In addition, supposedly there was a man who could have rescued the friend but just stood idly by. Then, Phil writes a song about the experience and gives the man a front row ticket to the show where he premieres the song. While Phil sings the song to him, the spotlight is on the man in the front row.

Does anyone know the truth?
There is no truth in it. Well acording to him anyway. It was just a track that came from the sessions for his first solo album in the early 80's. He was also acused of racism when it was claimed sussudio was him taking the piss out of chinese people who couldnt say the word studio
Old Sep 30th 2004, 5:47 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

The real question is:

Phil Collins- great drummer, great singer or balding pepperpot*?

* I've always thought that PhilCo looked like a pepperpot. Something to do with the way he dresses or moves.

At least he's out there as the balding man's success symbol

NC Penguin
Old Sep 30th 2004, 5:54 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

I for one, would willing pay to keep Buster in silent retirement
Old Sep 30th 2004, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I think it was after he faxed his wife asking for a divorce
I thought it was after he bought a building housing a homeless shelter, closed it down and evicted the tenants, and then released a single called 'Another Day in Paradise' banging on about 'the terrible plight of the homeless'.....
Old Sep 30th 2004, 7:19 pm

Hmm, not a rapper or fan of, myself, although I did see an interesting new Mexican group who rap with mariachis doing back up (no, really, I did).

But to compare Phil Collins to The Clash is sort of like comparing Andy Williams to The Doors. It may be a relative choice, but it's not a hard one.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:04 pm
elf
Forum Regular

elf is an unknown quantity at this point

Utter unadulterated cow shite
Old Sep 30th 2004, 9:06 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by elf
Utter unadulterated cow shite
not a fan then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.