Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Old Jul 30th 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I guess it goes without saying that you're being totally screwed by your employer?
Well, yes and no. The only thing that sets mine apart from everyone else's that I know of is my having to pay THEIR legal fees. The entire rest of it (no ticket, no moving money, no summer salary) is absolutely standard for postdocs across my field. Of course, it could very easily be argued that we are all getting screwed - I doubt many will claim otherwise - but this really is the only way to pursue a research career. There is no other path.

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I just read one of your previous posts about going unpaid for 3 months every summer, and that sounds a lot like "benching" - a practice that is regularly used by exploitative employers against their H1B visa employees, and one which is strictly illegal.
The 3 months no pay thing applies to everybody across the board, regardless of immigration status (or seniority/tenure for that matter.) It is very well understood when you sign on - again, there is no choice in this (aside from choosing to pursue a different career.) The only way around it is if you personally obtain funding from an outside source. My reading of the benching text indicates that it is for unexpected slow patches where suspending pay is a convenience - I do not think it applies here.

I can see how ridiculous/exploitative this all sounds 'from the outside,' but this really is standard practice across the country (which doesn't make it not ridiculous/exploitative...) Unfortunately, most universities are not in a position to offer us any better a deal. Mind you, this is all still better than Australia, in that there even are postdoc positions in my field (well, more than 1 or 2.) I would have very happily stayed at home if the slightest opportunity existed there.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

sueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by retzie
Mind you, this is all still better than Australia, in that there even are postdoc positions in my field (well, more than 1 or 2.) I would have very happily stayed at home if the slightest opportunity existed there.
Well, thats a surprise, I'd have thought Australia would offered a better oportunity then America ...

Is your partner here with you Retzie, you wondering how they are finding life here?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sueanne
Well, thats a surprise, I'd have thought Australia would offered a better oportunity then America ...
Part of it is specific to my field - it does not fit well into the parameters of the Australian system (which is very project/outcome driven, so does not deal well with 'blue sky' research.) Same goes for most other countries - the US just happens to be blessed with the National Science Foundation.

Originally Posted by sueanne
Is your partner here with you Retzie, you wondering how they are finding life here?
Don't have one of them! @#*&, would I not want to put anyone else through this...