Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

sueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Thank you Charleygirl appreciate your comments
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Sueanne - here is the thread which Honeymommy started....OMG I can't believe it was so long ago! However, it is very relevant to the predicament you are in right now:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227059 (Warning: it's a *very long* thread, go and make a cuppa before starting to read it! )
Does anybody know what became of Honeymommy and her family? I read the story expecting a resolution..but it just stopped

I was really getting into it.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Does anybody know what became of Honeymommy and her family? I read the story expecting a resolution..but it just stopped.
She hasn't posted since November 30, 2007.

Ian
Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

She did a "we're all fine" post here
Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it just goes to show that with the right attitude (even if it's not your chouce) you can make things work for you, wherever you are. Good for HM, I'm glad she was able to make things work for her family, sounds like it's not all gone to the dogs back home. Nice to hear a positive side of England for a change!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
She did a "we're all fine" post here

Ta very much
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

sueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant future

Yes nice to know she settled and hubby is happy in his job....
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
She hasn't posted since November 30, 2007.

Ian
but she last visited back in Feb...was doing well eventually, in the Surrey area.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
All of the costs - attorney fees/filing etc must be provided by the petitioner, not the beneficiary, according to the lawyers that did mine (and my employer happily paid for all of it).
This became an issue, when they discovered that one small filing fee had been overlooked - and I offered to pay for it by check, in order to expedite the process. I was advised that this was potentially a risky move, because I could not be seen by the adjudicator to be funding (in part or whole) my own petition.
Their advice to me was "Don't do ANYTHING that could potentially jeopardise your application - this could".
Lawyer costs they can get you to pay for, that and one of the other fee's, premium processing I think? Can't remember.

But any employer that asks you to pay those fees can't afford to repatriate you so you should know you're going to get bent over at some stage.

Best advice is find another employer and get them to transfer the visa, or as Manc said, scarper.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Lawyer costs they can get you to pay for, that and one of the other fee's, premium processing I think? Can't remember.

But any employer that asks you to pay those fees can't afford to repatriate you so you should know you're going to get bent over at some stage.
Repatriate? They have never paid a cent more than my salary (no ticket, no moving expenses, no visa fees.) For what it's worth, the salary is rubbish also. Yay, academia!

There is clearly a lot of bending over happening already - I only ask about the fee thing because I have heard rumblings about employees not being allowed to pay employer-side legal expenses (as in, not just jeopardise your application, but it actually be unlawful.) I would gladly try to stick it to them if it were true, but I haven't been able to verify this one way or another.

Originally Posted by Bob
Best advice is find another employer
Oh, how I wish for one of them. Unfortunately, without abandoning my research career, the pickings are lean, nigh on skeletal. What was that about turning the clock back?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Lawyer costs they can get you to pay for, that and one of the other fee's, premium processing I think? .[/QUOTE]

Yes Bob, if WE want Premium Processing then we have to pay...but thats ok and up to us. So far my hubby has had 3 wages slips and they 'havent' yet deducted money for his visa costs....maybe they have got
wind of it be illegal or just forgotten....so keeping my fingers crossed no money will be taken off of his salary.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=retzie;8738132]Repatriate? They have never paid a cent more than my salary (no ticket, no moving expenses, no visa fees.) For what it's worth, the salary is rubbish also. Yay, academia! QUOTE]

Thats real bad retzie....at least in 2004 when we came over the company did pay us $2,000 towards our shipping costs. So you have been paying for your own visa ?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by retzie
Repatriate? They have never paid a cent more than my salary (no ticket, no moving expenses, no visa fees.) For what it's worth, the salary is rubbish also. Yay, academia!
Part of the agreement of the visa is that they cover repatriation costs if you get sacked. All that means is they have to pay for airfare to send you home, not your contents.

Lawfully, they can't make you pay visa fee's.

Find another job and transfer the visa and sue the current place is the best bet.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Part of the agreement of the visa is that they cover repatriation costs if you get sacked. All that means is they have to pay for airfare to send you home, not your contents.

Lawfully, they can't make you pay visa fee's.
Interesting. I didn't know that about the obligation to repatriate - I thought you would just be screwed (well, moreso.) Luckily, it would take some breathtaking dereliction of duty and/or criminal activity for me to get fired - there is no WAY they would open themselves up to having to find someone to cover my teaching unless they could not possibly avoid doing so. Mind you, they more than have job instability covered with the fact they have only ever given me 9 month appointments...

Originally Posted by Bob
Find another job and transfer the visa and sue the current place is the best bet.
Oh, don't worry, I have tried. And tried again. And will continue to try. Unfortunately, the field is so competitive that if you don't want to put up with it, there were 600 other people who applied for your job who would happily do so.

Ugh, I hate it when I talk to normal people about academia - I realise what an incredible abusive relationship it is
Old Jul 30th 2010, 2:10 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
Interesting. I didn't know that about the obligation to repatriate - I thought you would just be screwed (well, moreso.) Luckily, it would take some breathtaking dereliction of duty and/or criminal activity for me to get fired - there is no WAY they would open themselves up to having to find someone to cover my teaching unless they could not possibly avoid doing so. Mind you, they more than have job instability covered with the fact they have only ever given me 9 month appointments...

Oh, don't worry, I have tried. And tried again. And will continue to try. Unfortunately, the field is so competitive that if you don't want to put up with it, there were 600 other people who applied for your job who would happily do so.

Ugh, I hate it when I talk to normal people about academia - I realise what an incredible abusive relationship it is
I guess it goes without saying that you're being totally screwed by your employer?

I just read one of your previous posts about going unpaid for 3 months every summer, and that sounds a lot like "benching" - a practice that is regularly used by exploitative employers against their H1B visa employees, and one which is strictly illegal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.