Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Old Jul 25th 2010, 1:15 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Sueanne - how awful to hear of your predicament and I feel so sorry for you and your husband.

Your story is very similar to a poster with the name of "Honeymommy" who lived in California. She was a cancer survivor, had four children and they were in a desperate situation regarding their visas.

They had no choice but to return (reluctantly) to England and she made many posts regarding her experiences. Happily, the family settled very well in the UK again (I believe near Guildford or the Reading area?) and it's worked out well for them.

I think it would help you to do an advanced search on the USA and 'Moving Back to the UK' forums on BE for the posts/threads made by Honeymommy and I'm sure that her experiences will be helpful as you plan your future.

Sending you a big (((hug))) and all the best...
Old Jul 25th 2010, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

sueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant future
Default Re: Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Thanks for that, yes I will certainly search for the post...

Such great people on this site !!!!!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

sueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant future

Manc, just showed my hubby your post.....cheers
Old Jul 25th 2010, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
you can.

mail the house keys back to the bank.
or explain you're gonna bugger off back to England and you're gonna put the house on the market and want a deferral on the mortgage until the house is sold.
The bank will probably shit themselves if they think there's a chance of you walking away. They will negotiate with you if the alternative is them being lumped with a house.

Move back, I am serious, it may be a struggle at first, but at least you'll both be able to work, 4 weeks holidays and both have medical...... and no visa to mess around with.

As I said, it will be a struggle at first, but you're struggling now. so what's a bit of sunshine when you're having a crap time of it?

just my thoughts.
One of the best responses so far, imho.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 3:29 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Sueanne - here is the thread which Honeymommy started....OMG I can't believe it was so long ago! However, it is very relevant to the predicament you are in right now:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227059 (Warning: it's a *very long* thread, go and make a cuppa before starting to read it! )
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

My sister and Bro-in-law live in Pinellas county and they are in the same boat. His work visa expires in a few months and they then have to survive on just her wage. The good news for them is that they do have health insurance and their GC is hopefully less than a year away..but they applied back in 2002. It has been one hell of a struggle for them and they are very close to losing their house.

You are not alone.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

OMG 2002 Warped.......urghh...how could the wife work then...Im not allowed to work on the H4 visa. My hubby was brought over on the H1b visa. The call the H4 visa the 'Devil Visa'. So we have been surviving on
one wage for nearly 6yrs and its very difficult.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Englishmum...when Pauls at work tomorrow I will sit and read through the thread....cuppa and couple of rich tea biccys will be in hand. (Luv my rich tea, family send them over)..emmm
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sueanne
OMG 2002 Warped.......urghh...how could the wife work then...Im not allowed to work on the H4 visa. My hubby was brought over on the H1b visa. The call the H4 visa the 'Devil Visa'. So we have been surviving on
one wage for nearly 6yrs and its very difficult.
She has her own work visa. Originally he came over as a student and she came as a non working spouse with the kids. After a year of boredom she also got a student visa and attended college. At the end of each of their 4 year degrees they were offered jobs with work visa's (separately). His 6 years is up in September, hers will be up in two years by which time we hope they will have their GC's or they will have to leave the US.

They too brought a house thinking the GC would be here before their work visas expired but it has taken much longer than expected. Happily however for the last few months their category has made several large jumps towards their filing date. Just 9 months to go now.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
you can.

mail the house keys back to the bank.
or explain you're gonna bugger off back to England and you're gonna put the house on the market and want a deferral on the mortgage until the house is sold.
The bank will probably shit themselves if they think there's a chance of you walking away. They will negotiate with you if the alternative is them being lumped with a house.

Move back, I am serious, it may be a struggle at first, but at least you'll both be able to work, 4 weeks holidays and both have medical...... and no visa to mess around with.

As I said, it will be a struggle at first, but you're struggling now. so what's a bit of sunshine when you're having a crap time of it?

just my thoughts.
Great advice.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lets hope its good news for them both Warped...yes Mummyinthefoothills, I thought it was great advice too.....
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sueanne
We have been here for 6yrs, still no GC after 3yrs and most likely not until another 1-2yrs. I cant work on this devil visa, my hubby works but the company are struggling so his wages have been dropped 9k per year. They also say he has to now pay for his own h1b visa costs that run out in August. We bought our house at the peak, paying 560k and putting in over 300k in cash after we sold everything in UK...our mort payments were so high we had to refinance so now due to property values our home is valued at approx 270k so have lost everything we worked for all our life...we cant claim homestead, we have to keep renewing our driving licences every year, no medical at the company and the house insurance is a ridiculous price as we live in southwest florida. OH HOW I WISH I COULD TURN THE CLOCK BACK ....
Just feeling fed up and very very peed off - need to get it off my chest !!
Hi, just been reading your post. We are also in a similar predicament - about 60 miles north of Naples. Bought the house at peak, spent over $100k on just upgrades, on it and now the value is a fraction of what we paid. Bills including home insurance are ridiculous. And this heat has us confined indoors also. Visa situation sucks also I can't work on the one I'm on either - although I'm married to a USC and thinking of applying for a GC until this house sells so we can go back to the UK. I wish I could turn the clock back too...

Just wanted to let you know, you're not alone if that's any consolation.
Sorry to hear about your troubles also, I hope you can get things sorted soon

Last edited by ExBritFL; Jul 27th 2010 at 5:33 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry to hear that Exbrit, hope you dont mind but sent you private message !!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Sueanne - here is the thread which Honeymommy started....OMG I can't believe it was so long ago! However, it is very relevant to the predicament you are in right now:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227059 (Warning: it's a *very long* thread, go and make a cuppa before starting to read it! )
OMG what a truly amazing woman.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

sue, similar thing with the house, bought 9 years ago...........
But anyway wanted to say if you do decide to go home or even if not there are a couple of threads 50s 60s moving back... great thread, you need a packet or two of rich tea for that thread an then inbetweenies........ wanting to go but not quite time.
Good luck and I am sorry for the problems you have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.