Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 5:29 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phew, wish I could turn the clock back...

Originally Posted by E3only
the EB3 is the employment based category of the green card, it all depends on what qualifications you have and what kind of experience you have in work to determine which category you can apply for..as I believe there are 10.

and unfortunately this category is in retrogression or it was, maybe things are finally moving now..
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 5:35 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sueanne
Lisag, sorry to hear about your situation, you know exactly how we are feeling at this time then. It wouldnt be so bad if we had youth on our side, we are both in our mid 50's and had saved all our life for our retirement days.
Do you feel happier now being back in the UK ?
thank you, but I didn't worry about it, I'm a 'glass is half full kinda gal' I posted my information here to let you know you are not alone..it has happended to lots and lots of visa holders in the US...and me being one of them.

I saw it as another adventure..I had no problem moving back home and no problem arriving with just the clothes on my back and having nothing to show for my time spent in the US (except for lots of memories and pictures)..

anyway I could go on but the upshot is..a definate YES we're 100% happy to be back. The US was a great adventure, but now we're enjoying this one even better.

At least they can't kick us out of this country..
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

sueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant future

Good for you Lisag....we had serious talks last night, we have decided to give it until Christmas, see if the company sales pick up, if not then bale out
and get back to UK....I must say I do miss the NHS system, we have no insurance here, company doesnt provide it so its always a worry if one of us
dont feel well.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

sueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant future

THANK YOU .....I feel better chatting about our situation on this forum.

Nice to know theres compassionate and understanding people out there.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 5:53 pm
Last orders please...

Good for you Lisag....we had serious talks last night, we have decided to give it until Christmas, see if the company sales pick up, if not then bale out
and get back to UK....I must say I do miss the NHS system, we have no insurance here, company doesnt provide it so its always a worry if one of us
dont feel well.
that sounds like a good plan, I hope the work situation picks up, but if not its always handy to have a plan....just make sure your always in status, thats the most important thing..

just start de-cluttering now..thats the only thing that feels like you never have enough time to do..

Good luck
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

dont feel well.
I don't mean disrespect but you bought a house for 560k? I hope you had insurance then and it's only coz you are up to your neck that you don't have insurance?

If it were that you bought 560k and didnt have insurance then I would be a bit surprised. That would be a case of priority issue?

Again, I don't mean to be not symphathetic but I call it how I see. My prayers of course with you.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

E3, not really sure what your saying.......the company told my hubby and the other guys they were going to get all employees health insurance, had discussions with representatives, it dragged on and on, promises etc but it never happened. Always excuses as to why they couldnt get company insurance

As for us buying a home I dont see anything wrong with that, we planned to be here long time, we have always owned our home in the UK. Wrong decision, we should have rented here. Houses were selling for about this price in this area, yes we have pool and double garage and den but its a typical style home for Naples.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

E3, not really sure what your saying.......the company told my hubby and the other guys they were going to get all employees health insurance, had discussions with representatives, it dragged on and on, promises etc but it never happened. Always excuses as to why they couldnt get company insurance

As for us buying a home I dont see anything wrong with that, we planned to be here long time, we have always owned our home in the UK. Wrong decision, we should have rented here. Houses were selling for about this price in this area, yes we have pool and double garage and den but its a typical style home for Naples.
Now I get you. I understand your predicament now.

About the house – well no, you were not the only one caught. In fact better a house then buying flashy cars. The market fall, nobody saw that coming.

What I meant was, for me insurance comes first before I buy a half a million quid home. That’s just me……may be in UK (or Australia where there is excellent public health care & I am from) it will be different thought process. But insurance here, my research tells me, can put one in a spot where by have to sell oneself to pay off the bills! You have been here for 6 years so could have gone for own insurance? Sure it will be expensive but better a plan than not at all? You been lucky so far you did not need it...touch wood.

For now anyway, I hope it goes well around xmas for you. Economy is getting better but no where near to be comfortable so all the luck with you…may be force be with you!

Last edited by E3only; Jul 23rd 2010 at 6:28 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

We did check for health insurance quotes after the company messed us about.......I have under active thyroid that Ive had for 'years' and we are both overweight, not obese just overweight and you wouldnt believe the prices (we tried many companies)...on the wage my hubby earns there was no way we could afford it. We also really honestly didnt think the GC would be as difficult as this, it was always the intention after being let down by his company that I would work and hopefully earn enough to pay the health insurance for us both. Yes we have made mistakes we shouldnt have taken
a managers word "Oh yeah your be fine, just get over here, no problem, in 2 years your wife can work etc etc etc we can do this for you, blahh blahh blahh........Yep im feeling pissed off and maybe even angry with us for not researching enough about the visa and company. But I do feel better for letting off steam - and as a female thats my prerogative...URRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

E3...not half a million QUID...its was in $$$$
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

We did check for health insurance quotes after the company messed us about.......I have under active thyroid that Ive had for 'years' and we are both overweight, not obese just overweight and you wouldnt believe the prices (we tried many companies)...on the wage my hubby earns there was no way we could afford it. We also really honestly didnt think the GC would be as difficult as this, it was always the intention after being let down by his company that I would work and hopefully earn enough to pay the health insurance for us both. Yes we have made mistakes we shouldnt have taken
a managers word "Oh yeah your be fine, just get over here, no problem, in 2 years your wife can work etc etc etc we can do this for you, blahh blahh blahh........Yep im feeling pissed off and maybe even angry with us for not researching enough about the visa and company. But I do feel better for letting off steam - and as a female thats my prerogative...URRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Hmm, well lack of research is the devil but hey, good luck with it. Past is gone - can't do sh** about it.

All the best.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

it's buy low sell high!!!

I made the mistake of not selling GBPs for dollars at the peak of 2 dollars to the pound.

One thing you could do is use your home as collateral to buy a couple of efficiency condos while the housing slump is still in effect and rent those out for income (taking advantage of the current renting frenzy).

We have been here for 6yrs, still no GC after 3yrs and most likely not until another 1-2yrs. I cant work on this devil visa, my hubby works but the company are struggling so his wages have been dropped 9k per year. They also say he has to now pay for his own h1b visa costs that run out in August. We bought our house at the peak, paying 560k and putting in over 300k in cash after we sold everything in UK...our mort payments were so high we had to refinance so now due to property values our home is valued at approx 270k so have lost everything we worked for all our life...we cant claim homestead, we have to keep renewing our driving licences every year, no medical at the company and the house insurance is a ridiculous price as we live in southwest florida. OH HOW I WISH I COULD TURN THE CLOCK BACK ....
Just feeling fed up and very very peed off - need to get it off my chest !!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
Is this a legal requirement? Is it specifically for petitions, or any legal costs incurred for the preparation of 'employer side' documents (eg. LCA)?

Yes, I have a specific set of circumstances in mind (my own,) but am mainly just after a reference and don't want to hijack...
All of the costs - attorney fees/filing etc must be provided by the petitioner, not the beneficiary, according to the lawyers that did mine (and my employer happily paid for all of it).
This became an issue, when they discovered that one small filing fee had been overlooked - and I offered to pay for it by check, in order to expedite the process. I was advised that this was potentially a risky move, because I could not be seen by the adjudicator to be funding (in part or whole) my own petition.
Their advice to me was "Don't do ANYTHING that could potentially jeopardise your application - this could".
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your input Awesome !!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 11:30 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here for 6yrs, still no GC after 3yrs and most likely not until another 1-2yrs. I cant work on this devil visa, my hubby works but the company are struggling so his wages have been dropped 9k per year. They also say he has to now pay for his own h1b visa costs that run out in August. We bought our house at the peak, paying 560k and putting in over 300k in cash after we sold everything in UK...our mort payments were so high we had to refinance so now due to property values our home is valued at approx 270k so have lost everything we worked for all our life...we cant claim homestead, we have to keep renewing our driving licences every year, no medical at the company and the house insurance is a ridiculous price as we live in southwest florida. OH HOW I WISH I COULD TURN THE CLOCK BACK ....
Just feeling fed up and very very peed off - need to get it off my chest !!
you can.

mail the house keys back to the bank.
or explain you're gonna bugger off back to England and you're gonna put the house on the market and want a deferral on the mortgage until the house is sold.
The bank will probably shit themselves if they think there's a chance of you walking away. They will negotiate with you if the alternative is them being lumped with a house.

Move back, I am serious, it may be a struggle at first, but at least you'll both be able to work, 4 weeks holidays and both have medical...... and no visa to mess around with.

As I said, it will be a struggle at first, but you're struggling now. so what's a bit of sunshine when you're having a crap time of it?

just my thoughts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.