Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pharmacist over the counter US/UK!

Pharmacist over the counter US/UK!

Old Dec 23rd 2007, 8:04 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pharmacist over the counter US/UK!

Originally Posted by Thydney
He started it
Yes, and you are encouraging him
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 9:44 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Make sure you aren't suffering from Hypertension. I have that and without any hypertensive medications I get headaches. I used to take asprin daily before I got it under control.
I have had my blood pressure tested as early as this week and its perfectaly fine according to the doctor,but thank you for the thought.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
When I asked a US pharmacy about OTC drugs with codeine, you'd think I'd asked her if I could borrow a needle to shoot up with! I will have to stock up on that stuff before I move over.
I remember a while ago somebody I worked with had a prescription for codeine and was telling everyone she talked to how she was all drugged up because of it, staff and clients. When she told me I asked her how much was in it and she said 15mg. I replied that if she ran out I had some English OTC stuff with 12.8mg in it (solpadeine max) that she could use in a pinch. Shut her up a bit.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:11 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

They took the only Sinutabs that worked for my dh's sinus off OTC the other year which pissed me off considerably as I have to put up with his bleeding whining when he gets a sinus attack - refuses to go to the doc for something so 'small' he says.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
They took the only Sinutabs that worked for my dh's sinus off OTC the other year which pissed me off considerably as I have to put up with his bleeding whining when he gets a sinus attack - refuses to go to the doc for something so 'small' he says.
Won't be small when he get the bill ....

Sudafed is the best for that ....
Old Dec 24th 2007, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
But the US sells antibiotic cream over the counter, and you can't in the UK.

Tylenol extra strength is 500mg paracetamol by the way - exactly the same as you're planning to stock up on. You can buy nice big bottles in the US - no limit on the amount, unlike the UK.

Different stuff in different countries I guess.
I know Tylenol contains paracetamol but I thought it had other stuff in it too? I have friends in the UK who found it more effective than regular parrats eat em all so always take them back. Might just be in their mind i guess.....

The limits in the UK were brought in a while ago now to help stop suicides - one of the most awful ways to top yourself by the way - at least you would have to stock up over time or go to several shops to top yourself!
Old Dec 24th 2007, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
I know Tylenol contains paracetamol but I thought it had other stuff in it too? I have friends in the UK who found it more effective than regular parrats eat em all so always take them back. Might just be in their mind i guess.....

The limits in the UK were brought in a while ago now to help stop suicides - one of the most awful ways to top yourself by the way - at least you would have to stock up over time or go to several shops to top yourself!
Some formulations of tylenol have other stuff. But plain tylenol is the same stuff as paracetamol as far as I know.

Yes, the suicide rate has dropped in the UK after they changed those rules. Apparently many of the potential suicides were so impulsive, if they had to go to a different store, they gave it up.

Yes, liver failure is a bad way to go. People sometimes get in trouble accidentally by taking various OTC meds, multiple of which include acetominophen - which they are unaware of.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 6:19 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Some formulations of tylenol have other stuff. But plain tylenol is the same stuff as paracetamol as far as I know.

Yes, the suicide rate has dropped in the UK after they changed those rules. Apparently many of the potential suicides were so impulsive, if they had to go to a different store, they gave it up.

Yes, liver failure is a bad way to go. People sometimes get in trouble accidentally by taking various OTC meds, multiple of which include acetominophen - which they are unaware of.
You are correct about the formulation of Tylenol being the same. It's just Tylenol by another name. However I'm surprised that they limited the availability of that medicine over meds that include morphine. Here in the US it's considered a controlled substance and requires a written prescription. It's also considered addictive. It just took me for a loop when I heard you guys can buy that over the counter.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
You are correct about the formulation of Tylenol being the same. It's just Tylenol by another name. However I'm surprised that they limited the availability of that medicine over meds that include morphine. Here in the US it's considered a controlled substance and requires a written prescription. It's also considered addictive. It just took me for a loop when I heard you guys can buy that over the counter.
Morphine is addictive. But the amounts sold otc in the UK are very low.

Tylenol is actually more dangerous imo. Opiates (such as morphine) give everyone the heebies, but are actually very safe drugs.

Go not too big an overdose of tylenol - and you need a new liver.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 6:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Morphine is addictive. But the amounts sold otc in the UK are very low.

Tylenol is actually more dangerous imo. Opiates (such as morphine) give everyone the heebies, but are actually very safe drugs.

Go not too big an overdose of tylenol - and you need a new liver.
Agree 100%.

At first I thought it was a nuisance when they limited the amount of paracetamol one can buy OTC in the UK, but now I'm all in favour of it. I think it not only reduces the risk of suicides, but it also makes people think twice as to whether they really need to take paracetamol. So often a walk in fresh air is all that's needed to clear a headache.

I'm appalled by all the advertising of Tylenol this and Tylenol that, as well as for other meds containing acetominophen. The general public is woefully ill informed about what is in these meds and do not realise the dangers of doubling up.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Agree - we have a chick in our ICU at the moment who took an attention-seeking panadol overdose.. doh. Has knocked her liver and kidneys out, and she's only 32... Merry Xmas to her family
Old Dec 25th 2007, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Agree - we have a chick in our ICU at the moment who took an attention-seeking panadol overdose.. doh. Has knocked her liver and kidneys out, and she's only 32... Merry Xmas to her family
Happened this year to a friend of mine's teenager. Except she wasn't attention-seeking.

Thankfully she recovered - barely.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 1:36 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

When I asked a US pharmacy about OTC drugs with codeine, you'd think I'd asked her if I could borrow a needle to shoot up with! I will have to stock up on that stuff before I move over.
Pet hate.... codeine is the best cough suppressant there is.... if they limit the sale as they have done with the nasal congestion drugs containing pseudoephedrine etc then I can't see any reason why they are not sold OTC.

I keep meaning to stock up when I go over but for some reason leave it to the last minute and then don't have time to even grab a huge bag of PG Tips.