British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pharmacist over the counter US/UK! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pharmacist-over-counter-us-uk-501220/)

Poppy girl Dec 22nd 2007 2:30 pm

Pharmacist over the counter US/UK!

Its just dawned on me today after yet another shopping trip in the UK that head ache tablets/pills etc in the US are only 200mg and in the UK we can buy paracetamol for 500mg non prescription so I decided to stock up but you can only buy 2 packs at a time I remeber years ago buying Boots 100's in the paracetamol!!

Also whats with Kaolin and Morphine for a bad stomach easily avalible in the UK kids can take it, but my Ex had a fit when I said that we use it openly with no worries, is it illegal to bring this Kaolin and Morphine into the states? tastes like crap excuse the pun but bloody works well.

There seems to be more non prescription open for us to buy in the UK then the US I never really took much notice before.

Tracym Dec 22nd 2007 2:50 pm

Re: Pharmacist over the counter US/UK!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 5696124)
Its just dawned on me today after yet another shopping trip in the UK that head ache tablets/pills etc in the US are only 200mg and in the UK we can buy paracetamol for 500mg non prescription so I decided to stock up but you can only buy 2 packs at a time I remeber years ago buying Boots 100's in the paracetamol!!

Also whats with Kaolin and Morphine for a bad stomach easily avalible in the UK kids can take it, but my Ex had a fit when I said that we use it openly with no worries, is it illegal to bring this Kaolin and Morphine into the states? tastes like crap excuse the pun but bloody works well.

There seems to be more non prescription open for us to buy in the UK then the US I never really took much notice before.

But the US sells antibiotic cream over the counter, and you can't in the UK.

Tylenol extra strength is 500mg paracetamol by the way - exactly the same as you're planning to stock up on. You can buy nice big bottles in the US - no limit on the amount, unlike the UK.

Different stuff in different countries I guess.

Ray Dec 22nd 2007 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 5696124)

Check under different name for Paracetamol you have Paracip or Tylenol

My Mum buys Nurofen (Ibruprofen) in small packs only in the UK
Here I bough a jar of 1200 ..with an extra 1200 free ..a 2 for 1 ... Im good for Ibruprofen until 3078
at current consuption ...
And here I found they give out bigger doses of antibiotics ...

Morphine over the counter ..... I can't see that ...

Tracym Dec 22nd 2007 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5696152)
Check under different name for Paracetamol you have Paracip or Tylenol

And here I found they give out bigger doses of antibiotics ...

Morphine over the counter ..... I can't see that ...

Just asked Keith that one - the is a teensy teensy ittle bit of morhpine in that med.

Poppy girl Dec 22nd 2007 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5696151)
But the US sells antibiotic cream over the counter, and you can't in the UK.

Tylenol extra strength is 500mg paracetamol by the way - exactly the same as you're planning to stock up on. You can buy nice big bottles in the US - no limit on the amount, unlike the UK.

Different stuff in different countries I guess.

I never knew it was 500mg I was having a chat with my room-mate before I left and she said that 200mg was the most I have Advil with me at the moment and it is only 200mg.

Thanks Tylenol it is then ;)

Ray Dec 22nd 2007 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 5696159)
I never knew it was 500mg I was having a chat with my room-mate before I left and she said that 200mg was the most I have Advil with me at the moment and it is only 200mg.

Ibruprofen is better ..you can get 12 packs there of Nurofen(same)

Or here I got 1200 Ibruprofen with a 2 for 1..so 2400
at present consumption ..Im good to 3078 ..

Tracym Dec 22nd 2007 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 5696159)

Advil = Ibupofen
Tylenol = acetominophen = paracetamol

The dosages are quite different for the different drugs. And, ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory, better for some things than paracetamol. Although asmatics can have problems with nsaids such as ibuprofen, and thus must take tylenol instead.

Poppy girl Dec 22nd 2007 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5696168)
Ibruprofen is better ..you can get 12 packs there of Nurofen(same)

Or here I got 1200 Ibruprofen with a 2 for 1..so 2400
at present consumption ..Im good to 3078 ..

I keep headache tablets everywhere never go out without them or I develop
withdrawel syptoms, you can bet your life the times I have forgotten I get a bad head.

I will add it was nice to visit the Dr's this week as I have bronchitis and only pay £6.95 for a prescription, and the dentist check-up, scale and polish £15 lovely jubly :)

Tracym Dec 22nd 2007 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 5696182)
I keep headache tablets everywhere never go out without them or I develop
withdrawel syptoms, you can bet your life the times I have forgotten I get a bad head.

I will add it was nice to visit the Dr's this week as I have bronchitis and only pay £6.95 for a prescription, and the dentist check-up, scale and polish £15 lovely jubly :)

That sounds a bit concerning.

You shouldn't get withdrawal symptoms (literally) from advil or tylenol or such.

And if you are getting constant headaches, probably should get that looked into (if you haven't already).

Sorry in any case, doesn't sound fun.

Ray Dec 22nd 2007 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 5696182)
I keep headache tablets everywhere never go out without them or I develop withdrawel syptoms, you can bet your life the times I have forgotten I get a bad head.
:)

Not enough sex ....

Poppy girl Dec 22nd 2007 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5696186)
That sounds a bit concerning.

Sorry in any case, doesn't sound fun.

Sorry girl I ment it in a joking way not literally lol.

I have had many check ups mine are more sinus related and from driving alot concentrating, always suffered since a child but 2 tabs and gone in 20 mins.

:D

Poppy girl Dec 22nd 2007 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5696192)
Not enough sex ....

You've heard the rumor then lmao

Tracym Dec 22nd 2007 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 5696195)
Sorry girl I ment it in a joking way not literally lol.

I have had many check ups mine are more sinus related and from driving alot concentrating, always suffered since a child but 2 tabs and gone in 20 mins.

:D

Oh glad you're ok then, sorry.

Ray Dec 22nd 2007 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 5696197)
You've heard the rumor then lmao

And stop eating chocolate ....before and after ....

Poppy girl Dec 22nd 2007 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5696204)
And stop eating chocolate ....before and after ....

Don't talk to me about Chocolate I have consumed more since Tuesday then I have in the past 12 months in the US...I have infront of me a bar of Glaxay,on the coffee table is everything from after 8 dinner mints to quality street and turkish delight I can't stop myself....