Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

PGCE UK to USA (for American expat)

PGCE UK to USA (for American expat)

Old Aug 19th 2021, 1:24 pm
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Aug 2021
Posts: 1
BrumtoBoston is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PGCE UK to USA (for American expat)

I'm writing to see if anyone has any experience transferring their PGCE to the USA. I am originally from the USA with a BA. I moved to the UK 10 years ago with my husband, but we are looking to move back to the USA. I am planning to start my PGCE this year, but am wondering if it is a waste of time and money if it won't transfer to the USA. We would be moving to MA. Does anyone have experience transferring credentials? I am aware I only need a BA and to pass the state test for the teaching license, but I will also need to take a state approved licensing course. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I know these questions usually involve people worrying about visas, but that isn't the issue- it is just more the equivalency and credential transfer. The department of education couldn't give me a clear answer so just looking for those with experience.
BrumtoBoston is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2021, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 30
imacd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PGCE UK to USA (for American expat)

Hi, I was a UK citizen with a BSc, PGCE and 12 years of teaching experience when I moved to Utah in 1996. The PGCE helped a little, in that I only had to take two more educational courses during my first year of teaching here. I count myself lucky, as many other qualified more experienced teachers from all over the world often had to take six or more educational courses at our local Uni. The courses were real easy, but a waste of time and money. Utah State board of Education certification dept. were really officious and you had to do what they say or just not teach. Fortunately, I had kept my PGCE syllabus, but this was not detailed enough for the certification dept. I was able to get one of my retired PGCE professors, to travel for an hour, and state on official University letterhead that I had basically covered some of the courses they wanted me to retake.

All my UK qualifications, including the PGCE, were assessed by I believe it was ACEI, one of three agencies used by the different certification depts. through out the US. It cost me $200 I think. They equated my PGCE to 30 postgrad units, But and it is a BIG BUT, would no equate it to a US masters degree. They said some crap about it not including a major thesis like US masters degrees, which I now know to be complete bull. However, I was able to use the PGCE for hours to adjust lanes after my first year, but not be placed on the Masters lane, which in teaching is very significant in terms of pay & time.

I would strongly recommend that you look into taking an online MA in education from the US, if possible, which will not only satisfy teacher licensure in MA, but also allow you to start on the Masters lane at your school. You may have to come back to the US a couple of times to satisfy course requirements, which may be a problem. It of course does not matter what I suggest, it is vital that any MA in education you take is also approved by the MA State board of education, Licensure dept.

You should also be aware, that a downside of taking an MA in education, as opposed an MA in your subject area, is that you will probably not be able to use it to teach at junior college level, if that might be something you a maybe considering for the future.

Hope this helps you somewhat.
imacd is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.