Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

PGCE & teaching in New York??

PGCE & teaching in New York??

Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Ali259 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PGCE & teaching in New York??

I will soon be moving to New York with my American husband. I have a BA from an American university and a PGCE in Secondary English. I am confused by all the conflicting information on the New York State Department of Education's website. Is it possible to gain NY state certification and teach with a PGCE? Has anyone else been through this? What documents do I need from my PGCE programme?

Thanks!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PGCE in New York??

Depends on the state, chances are you'll need to pass PRAXIS, what standards you need to meet to pass depend on the state.

You might, if the school district is desperate be allowed to teach without PRAXIS as long as you get it within a certain time frame.

Chances are though, you'll struggle to find a job because where they tend to be flexible, poor neighbourhoods, they don't have money for teachers, where they have money, they tend not to need extra hassle as teachers are everywhere, often with masters too for the more technical sciences/maths etc.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

gatsbygirl8 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: PGCE & teaching in New York??

We are going through this right now with my husband. He's British and has a BA from Uni Derby and a PGCE in secondary art education from Anglia Ruskin Uni. We though he'd just need to pass a few state exams and - voila! - he'd have his Illinois certificate. No such luck, unfortunately.

Despite his UK qualifications, he's still had to go back to university and take five required classes (15 hours taken over two semesters) plus sit three IL state exams before he'll be considered fully qualified. In the meantime, he's been substitute teaching as much as possible to make ends meet. It's a bugger, but that's the way the system is. My only consolation is that the same would probably be true of an American teacher who decided to move between states. Every state has their own certification requirements, which just complicates things for everyone - British or American.

My advice would be to head straight to you county Regional Office of Education (ROE) and speak to someone there. They'll be the ones sending in your application so they'll be able to advise you on the correct procedures. If New York is anything like Illinois, you'll fill in the application and post it off along with all your transcripts, etc. They you wait a few weeks for a "deficiency" letter to arrive. This will tell you what gaps there are in your qualifications and what you still need to meet NY's requirements. Then you'll either take the necessary classes at a local uni/community college or, if you don't show any deficiencies, you'll be awarded your certificate.

Good luck!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gatsbygirl8
...My only consolation is that the same would probably be true of an American teacher who decided to move between states. Every state has their own certification requirements, which just complicates things for everyone - British or American.
True, but a lot of districts can and do waive those requirements if the state you came from had a higher PRAXIS requirement or if you've got a lot of experience, or a Masters. Or at least allows you to take a job and do the exams while you are working.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

philbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nicephilbrown901 is just really nice

I'm in a similar situation. I have a british degree, a PGCE in Physics teaching and 10 years experience in state and private schools in UK up to A-level and IB. My wife's job is taking us to the Boston area for a few years and I am on L2 visa so have worked out I will have to apply for EAD on arrival. I am aiming/hoping to get teaching work in my subject from the September term onwards thus giving me enough time to sit the MA PRAXIS exam (METL I think) to make myself more employable.

There is a lot of info to sift through but it is clear I can't really do much until I enter the US proper. East Massachusetts seems to have plenty of schools both public and private and education seems to be pretty highly thought of in some of the areas we are looking at living.

Does anyone know the Physics/Science teacher situation in MA? (shortage subject or are they 10-a-penny)

How does substitute/cover teaching in the US compare to doing the same in the UK?

Thanks for letting me piggy-back on another thread.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by philbrown901

There is a lot of info to sift through but it is clear I can't really do much until I enter the US proper. East Massachusetts seems to have plenty of schools both public and private and education seems to be pretty highly thought of in some of the areas we are looking at living.

Does anyone know the Physics/Science teacher situation in MA? (shortage subject or are they 10-a-penny)

How does substitute/cover teaching in the US compare to doing the same in the UK?
Sub work, no idea how it compares...how it works is very different in each state, up in Maine it's a doddle and can be fairly decent in the small areas.

In MA, it's a bit of a waste of time. You have your background check etc, but then you're put on a list and the list cycles through until you get called up for a school in your area...and the list is long.

No idea how much demand for science teachers are, but more school districts are laying off or not hiring for retired positions than they are, so it'll be tough with no US experience.

Private schools, might be different, might have luck at the British School in Jamaica Plains if you're allowed to work as they do the UK curriculum.

Other than that, private tutoring is a good way to go, I know a couple of parents who do that on the side for quite decent money, but then they were teachers before having kids so already knew the parents/kids. Liability insurance wasn't very cheap though but they all said it's pretty much a must if home tutoring, possibly cheaper if tutoring in neutral ground like at a library.