Reload this Page >

Is this a PFIC

Is this a PFIC

Old May 15th 2018, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Overthere2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this a PFIC

What's a PFIC?
Many years ago, I had someone prepare my US returns. For various reasons, I have a few shares in an investment management company (rathbones (not the bread)), but am not a client of theirs! The preparer declared that these shares are a PFIC as the entire company is a PFIC. That doesn't make sense to me as the company makes it's money from charging clients for financial management. If Merrill Lynch moved to London, would it be a PFIC? Just asking for any opinion on this.

I've been marking it as a PFIC for years due to the preparer so don't know what would happen if I stop doing that and declare it isn't one. Might be best to sell the shares and invest in something else..
Old May 15th 2018, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

David_101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is this a PFIC

Shares in an individual company like Rathbones are likely a PFIC.
Old May 21st 2018, 10:24 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

What you need to understand (as you keep asking these questions) is that the whole thing is set up in such a way to make it extremely hard to invest in anything outside the US without going through a US entity. The official reason for this is to ensure the US Dept. of Treasury knows what is going on; the real reason is that Wall Street doesn't want the competition. If it were just a case of keeping an eye in people, form 3520-A and 8621 wouldn't be so hard to fill in, so they've made the hassle factor enormous.
Old May 22nd 2018, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you really want to keep UK stock, I would probably go via a US brokerage firm like Vanguard, who have the options of holding UK stock. When I say US firm, I mean opening the account with the US arm, not the UK arm.
Old May 23rd 2018, 9:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

But those are always hedged into US dollars, holding stuff in Sterling is incredibly hard.

If you look at the equivalent Canadian forms they're simple compared to the US ones, look at form 5471 for example then look at T1134, the Canadian equivalent. Or Form 8938 then look at T1135, the Canadian equivalent. Supposedly the complexity comes from US tax law, but I can't help noticing that form 8621 makes it extremely hard to hold non-US securities. You have to use a US registered broker (as you have use a UK registered one if you live in the UK) but if you hold foreign securities in another currency, it's an enormous ballache. It is in Canada as well but it's much easier than in the US. So if you are in the unhappy position of being a US person who lives outside the US, you really are properly buggered.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Scotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond repute

Rathbones may not be a PFIC. It depends how they make their money. From what I know of them they are investment managers so would make their money on investment management fees. This is an active trade or business so is not a passive activity, therefore by itself would not make them a PFIC. If they get a substantial amount of income from investments in other companies then they might be.

In short, to figure it out you would need their financial reports, and cross reference them with the PFIC definition.

A PFIC primarily is used as a passive investment vehicle. Characterization of a foreign corporation as a PFIC is determined by the satisfaction of either an income or asset test. The income test requires that 75 percent or more of a foreign corporation’s gross income consist of passive income. The asset test requires at least 50 percent of the foreign corporation’s average assets (based on either value or, in certain circumstances, adjusted tax basis) held during the tax year produce passive income. Typically, passive income is defined to include dividends, interest, rents, royalties, annuities, certain personal service contracts, income from notional principal contracts, and certain gains from sale of property. Rents and royalties that originate from an active trade or business are excluded from the definition of passive income.
As a shareholder you could also ask them. I went through this with another UK company previously.

It’s complicated. As a rule never invest in a non-us fund. UK Companies who’s primary income source is an active trade or business, like a manufacturer, are generally fine.

PFIC’s are a total ballache I agree. I personally have prepared 96 PFIC forms over the last 2 years and never wish to see one again.