Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pets - UK to USA

Pets - UK to USA

Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

AimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Pets - UK to USA

Originally Posted by heather123
It varies from state to state so you must check with the state of which u are going too
Got it! I had a feeling it would be that way. Trouble is at the moment we aren't sure which state we are moving to. Very dependent on where we find jobs.

Deep breaths, Aimee. Ack, I am finding this move a bit overwhelming. SO much easier when I moved to the UK. It was only me. Now I have a husband, 2 kids and 3 pets! :P
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

AimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura about

Anyone moved to Texas with pets? I cannot seem to find anything but curious if our pets will need the blood tests after they have had rabies shots to confirm it worked?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:48 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AimeeKat
Anyone moved to Texas with pets? I cannot seem to find anything but curious if our pets will need the blood tests after they have had rabies shots to confirm it worked?
We're in Texas. No, you do not need a serological test for Texas. About the only thing we needed for going to Texas was the fit to fly certificate. The customs officer was about to look through the pet passport but then saw we were from the UK so there was no need.

Note this was all 2010.

Here is a link for Texas: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/hea...al/pets/entry/

Here is some of the Federal guidance: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...rts_pets.shtml
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

thekettlewitch will become famous soon enough

The only requirement regarding rabies back in July this year was that the booster had been administered no less than 30 days prior to travel. Check out Mr Weeze's links, it's all there.

Also, we used KLM as we needed to break up the travel (moved from the Middle East) and IIRC they do not charge an pet entry fee when in transit at Schiphol whereas Frankfurt and some other European hubs do. The klm website is very detailed too if you're managing the pet travel yourself.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:00 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

We brought over our dog and rabbit at the end of September to Austin from Toulouse

The dog travelled with us on Lufthansa, cost was 300 euros to Houston, then 450ish dollars for the 30 minute flight to Austin. The pet passport showing rabies shots and certificate of health from the vet was all that was required to bring the dog into texas. Getting her through customs in Houston, taking a taxi to the United cargo hold, checked in with the petsafe people then getting a taxi back in time for the Austin flight was a bit stressful, expensive and I would probably just drive if I ever had to do that again.

So, bringing the dog with Lufthansa was great, easy and cheap and the dog seemed fine. Would highly recommend them.

The rabbit had to be brought over seperately since Lufthansa won't transport them in the cabin or on a passenger plane....so we used bagagedumonde who were expensive (860 euros) expected us to solve their problems and then we were charged another 40 dollars when we picked her up in Austin.

good luck with it all!
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Gforcewhoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Dog from Northern Ireland to Colorado, pet passport was the best way as all the vaccinations were listed and stamped and the health certificate.
It didn't cost us for the passport, only the vaccinations. He went with United from Belfast to Newark then had a layover for a few hours, walked and fed, then sent on to Denver.
The people who sorted the move were great as they are very experienced. Not cheap but better than some of the quotes we got to send him from Heathrow.

We didn't pick him up as we were arriving later but the pet resort people got him and looked after him really well.

Happy dog and happy family!
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 8:04 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

We've had a quote of £1600 for our two,cats door to door, Heathrow to Denver.
I like the ideas of sending them on a next day flight...
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 10:03 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch. That's painful!