Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pets - UK to USA

Pets - UK to USA

Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets - UK to USA

what a coincidence Heather, we are also in Fl with our DDB !!
Old Sep 30th 2013, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

heather123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Pets - UK to USA

Hi Flabound, that really is as we have not yet seen any other DDB since being here. Where about in Florida are u? We are in Palm Bay around an 1hr 30mins from Orlando. Our DDB "Vinnie" is only 7 months old but already weighs over 100lbs, he was just a baby when we brought him over but he has adjusted well to the heat 🐶😃
Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

jazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond reputejazzelle29 has a reputation beyond repute

Moving from UK to USA next March with my dog...and my horse! Re the dog: Called Virgin who can't do flights into Chicago til April...and wanted nearly £700 plus the cost of my flight. Called KLM....VERY impressed. They can move the dog from Heathrow, via Schipol to Chicago for 200 Euros. I did check that it was a KLM plane, not a flight partner (Delta). KLM ROCK!!!

The horse is a whole different deal. Thinking of popping her into the sea at Blackpool and wishing her luck lol. Going to cost around £6000 including the flights and quarantine...hence very small wedding, and starting married life in poverty but hubby to be is horse-crazy too, so he understands....
Old Oct 1st 2013, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read all the responses yet but I have 3 chihuahus's that we are taking with us and Pet air have been Amazing! !! I am sooooo scared but they assure me it will all run smooth
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Be very careful using Klm as we thought we got a really good deal with them too when we were quoted 200 euros!! Klm told us that everything would be good and my husband was ready to book with them but something just seemed to good to be true so I looked into the whole thing, only to find out that when we arrive in Schipol airport we would be transferred to Delta airlines who do not accept dogs!! I phoned Klm to complain about being given wrong information and all they could say to me was that they were not aware of this situation. They did apologies and assured me that they would update the website & train there cargo staff with this info but obviously this has not happened!! I just could not believe that I could have been stuck in Amsterdam with no way of transporting my dog unless I booked a whole new flight for him. Please double check all info as I wouldn't want u to be put in this awful situation. At the end of the day I think u only get what u pay for and I couldn't fault Virgin from start to finish they treated us and my dog exceptionally well . Also as far as I was aware Klm air crafts do not fly into USA it is always a partner aircraft but I'm not 100% sure on this. Also virgin is a much better flight/aircraft compared to klm
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Elizabeth I know no matter how many times people tell u not to worry but u will worry until you are reunited at the other end. It is amazing how well the dogs cope on the flight and its great when u see them at the other end soooo excited to see u where are u flying into? And what airline are u using? Hope I don't mind me asking
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:45 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heather123
Be very careful using Klm as we thought we got a really good deal with them too when we were quoted 200 euros!! Klm told us that everything would be good and my husband was ready to book with them but something just seemed to good to be true so I looked into the whole thing, only to find out that when we arrive in Schipol airport we would be transferred to Delta airlines who do not accept dogs!! I phoned Klm to complain about being given wrong information and all they could say to me was that they were not aware of this situation. They did apologies and assured me that they would update the website & train there cargo staff with this info but obviously this has not happened!! I just could not believe that I could have been stuck in Amsterdam with no way of transporting my dog unless I booked a whole new flight for him. Please double check all info as I wouldn't want u to be put in this awful situation. At the end of the day I think u only get what u pay for and I couldn't fault Virgin from start to finish they treated us and my dog exceptionally well . Also as far as I was aware Klm air crafts do not fly into USA it is always a partner aircraft but I'm not 100% sure on this. Also virgin is a much better flight/aircraft compared to klm

I so agree Virgin all the way.....and you are correct it's Delta 100% sure of that!
Old Oct 29th 2013, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

AimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura about

Can someone confirm that Delta airlines does not fly dogs from the UK to the USA?

Also, if we are not returning to the UK once we move to the USA that we do not need pet passports for our dog and 2 cats? So we just need the fit to fly cetificate and rabbies shots for our dog and 2 cats as well as all three microchipped?

Or, does it depend on the state we are travelling to?
Old Oct 29th 2013, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

if you are a billion per cent sure you wont return then no, you don't need passports. IIRC they are to show the vaccination for rabies when returning to the UK from a rabies country...as the UK doesn't count they are accepted with the paperwork.

BUT if you ever did go back its 6 months quarantine.......
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:22 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
if you are a billion per cent sure you wont return then no, you don't need passports. IIRC they are to show the vaccination for rabies when returning to the UK from a rabies country...as the UK doesn't count they are accepted with the paperwork.

BUT if you ever did go back its 6 months quarantine.......
No, they've changed those rules now - there is a thread on it in the MBTTUK forum. It's now much easier to avoid quarantine. You still have the approved carrier/routes issue, but maybe that will change too.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:31 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AimeeKat
Can someone confirm that Delta airlines does not fly dogs from the UK to the USA?

Also, if we are not returning to the UK once we move to the USA that we do not need pet passports for our dog and 2 cats? So we just need the fit to fly cetificate and rabbies shots for our dog and 2 cats as well as all three microchipped?

Or, does it depend on the state we are travelling to?
According to this, Delta at least state that they will take pets from the UK in the hold only.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...l-options.html

For what it's worth, we used KLM to bring our dog over in 2010 and it was all OK - a lot of research up front, but his paperwork was far less onerous than ours. Our routing was ABZ-AMS-IAH, and that was 100% KLM at the time. I believe that routing is still KLM planes, but I haven't used KLM since 2011 so can't be sure. Family tend to get that one, and I don't mention anyone saying anything about it being a Delta flight. It may well be a route specific issue.

As to whether or not to get the pet passport, yes, if you're not planning on returning you should be OK to go without it (though if you are going via a hub in Europe it could be a grey area/airline specific issue). If you no longer require the rabies titre - which I believe is now the case - for the pet passport the cost may have come down significantly though (that was about 200 GBP when we got it).
Old Oct 29th 2013, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

AimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura about

Thanks so much for your replies.

OK, so looks like up to date vaccinations for our two cats and dog and a fit to fly cert and we are set to go. Since we aren't coming back to the UK, it is good to know we don't have to do Pet Passports or Rabies shots.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 12:46 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Rabies titre, not shots! You are still getting the shots for your pets yes?

Last edited by Weeze; Oct 29th 2013 at 12:49 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Weeze
Rabies titre, not shots! You are still getting the shots for your pets yes?
Yes, I plan to get them all of their shots. Is there a list somewhere of what is needed?
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

It varies from state to state so you must check with the state of which u are going too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.