Reload this Page >

Pets on the move!

Pets on the move!

Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

sarah10666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pets on the move!

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have experience of transporting their pets to the US? I have a small dog who will need to be transported to Florida within the next year. Can anyone share any advice/info on airlines, cost, etc?

Thanks
Sarah
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:58 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pets on the move!

There have been many threads on the subject - though mostly about cats, because they're better than dogs.

Try the search thingy.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah10666
Does anyone have experience of transporting their pets to the US?
It'll look suspicious, don't you think, if you show up with your dog at the POE if you're only supposed to be visiting? The officer might get it into his head that you're trying to live in the US without the proper visa... and then it's a quick trip home for you both.

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:33 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It'll look suspicious, don't you think, if you show up with your dog at the POE if you're only supposed to be visiting? The officer might get it into his head that you're trying to live in the US without the proper visa... and then it's a quick trip home for you both.

Ian
Quick trip home for her, perhaps. 6 months in quarantine for the poor puppy.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have experience of transporting their pets to the US? I have a small dog who will need to be transported to Florida within the next year. Can anyone share any advice/info on airlines, cost, etc?

Thanks
Sarah

What is the weight of the dog? If it's under 10lbs certain airlines may allow you to take it in the cabin when you travel...if not it will travel in the hold of the plane.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

My dog is over a stone so unfortunately he will be unable to travel in the cabin (and would probably drive the passengers mad anyways!). I'm organising a visa through my job so he won't be going anywhere until that's sorted, I would never take him unless he was going there to stay for definite. Due to the ages of my parents their plans are different so that is why I was questioning the VWP on the other page. Thanks for the info about the search, I am new to the site so hadn't realised I could do that!

Last edited by sarah10666; Jan 16th 2010 at 4:50 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My dog is over a stone so unfortunately he will be unable to travel in the cabin (and would probably drive the passengers mad anyways!). I'm organising a visa through my job so he won't be going anywhere until that's sorted, I would never take him unless he was going there to stay for definite. Due to the ages of my parents their plans are different so that is why I was questioning the VWP on the other page. Thanks for the info about the search, I am new to the site so hadn't realised I could do that!
Welcome to BE Sarah.

In that case your dog will have to travel in the hold of the plane. There are many companies who can assist you with the transportation. Basically it will have to travel in a container...the size with depend on the height of your dog. If your dog has a rabies shot before it leaves the UK...check which type of vaccine it will need for Florida. It will have to be examined to make sure it is fit to travel before you leave...again the pet transportation company will assist with this. I don't know of any names but search the US forum for pet transportation companies etc...or maybe someone will come along with a recommendation.

If you start the process now of getting your dog a UK pet passport (Goggle DEFRA)...should you return to the UK at a later date the process of taking your dog back will be so much easier and it will not have to go into UK quarantine.

One more thought...check to see the breed isn't on the no fly list. Certain airlines will not transport breeds with known breathing difficulties...I think pugs are one. Also the time of year can be a factor...many airlines will not transport pets during the very hot summer months.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 6:48 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

We used http://www.petexports.co.uk/ for our cat and we were very happy with the service. However, I think they only do exports, not imports, so if your dog will be doing a round trip they might not be the best ones for you.

The Vari Kennel brand of flight kennels is very good, and somewhat of an airline industry standard. We got a small size one for about £40.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 8:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely check past threads, also the wiki as I think there was some info there about moving pets.

Time of year also can make a difference, certain airlines won't move animals to certain airports during the summer for instance, not sure if that's the case for Florida, but certainly for Texas and Georgia.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Thank you all so much for your help, I will look up those suggested sites. I was unaware that on the passport system a pet could be brought back ffrom the US to the UK without quarantine which is always great to know just in case. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost? I have been told conflicting things recently so I'm not sure now!
Old Jan 17th 2010, 3:27 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for your help, I will look up those suggested sites. I was unaware that on the passport system a pet could be brought back ffrom the US to the UK without quarantine which is always great to know just in case. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost? I have been told conflicting things recently so I'm not sure now!
I don't know how much the pet passport costs as ours was one way, but the flight itself cost £380 for the cat, the kennel was £40, the Fit to Fly certificate was about £70 and there was probably about £100 or so for vaccinations, including rabies.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sorry I don't know but it's a lot less hassle (and probably less expensive) if you get the Pet's PP before you leave the UK. Once you're here you will need to keep it up to date...I'm not sure what that entails.

If you take a look through some of the old threads in the MBTTUK forum it will give you some idea the hassle expats go through to get the Pet's PP from overseas.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Sarah

We are transporting or large rottweiler next month to Connecticut. We are using Pet Travel Services in Dunfermline. It's costing us just under 1,800 british pounds for them to do this. We take him to Edinburgh a couple of days before his flight and they do the rest, paperwork etc. Some states don't require rabies but we've had him done just in case we come back. They get the shot, then get a blood test 3 weeks later. You'll also need a fit to fly which I think has to be done within 10 days of travel. Will let you know how we get on.

By the way, I think it's a lot cheaper if you book your dog on the flight yourself and buy a crate, but to be honest, we wanted the simpler option.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Hi

We flew from Heathrow to San Francisco with our two westies in November last year.
We did everything ourselves and it was all straightforward. THey didnt need anything specific vaccination wise to get into the US as there is no rabies in the UK, but we still had them vaccinated and got their passports, so if/when we go back to England they wont need to go in quarantine. All you need from your vet is a fit to fly certificate and an ATA approved dog crate.
We flew with Virgin and the dogs were on the same flight as us, cost us £942 to ship them, the virgin staff were very helpful and i was constantly being updated by staff prior to departure on my dogs status.
When we landed it was a little confusing, as we had to go collect paperwork, then go to customs then go back to collect them, which i found stressful as i just wanted them back ASAP.
They were so pleased to see us and didnt seem traumatised at all by the whole experience and have settled in really well here
Any questions feel free to send me a message and good luck x

PS: I believe there our restrictions to Florida, based on the month of travel, pets cant fly if the temperature is going to be too high on the runway on landing, so double check that, also Virgin told me they only allow a certain number of pets on each flight, so the sooner you know when you are going the sooner you can book them .
We also got quotes from companies willing to sort everything for us, but it worked out between £500 and £900 more, if you are happy and confident to do it yourself then i would say do it, i was very reluctant and was going to use a company, until i spoke to someone on here in person who had done it themselves, i think also they may have flown to Florida with their dog, not too sure

Last edited by sarahlou145; Jan 18th 2010 at 6:31 pm. Reason: additional info.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

Hi everyone!

Thanks
Sarah
Hi Sarah

We flew our retriever over at the beginning of Nov last year when we moved over. We didnt enlist the help of any pet agents, it was really quite easy to be honest. You need to check with the animal services in Florida to see if your dog needs any additional vaccinations, but otherwise you can go to your vet no more than 10 days before the flight, and get the health certificate for the dog to fly. You only need a pet passport if you intend to bring the dog back over tot he UK. You can buy a dog crate from any related website, just make sure you get hte right size. We flew with virgin and it cost us 800gbp for our dog. Customs was easy (we flew into Dulles, DC)and it took us less than 15 mins to get our dog from her being loaded off the flight. I know many have used agents, but if you are happy to do it yourself, then you can - we chose virgin as they really seemed to know what they were doing with our dog, so that made us feel like we didnt need to get an agent to help out but that would be up to you.

Best of luck though - oh one last thing, it will also depend when you want to fly as some carriers will not fly pets certain times of the year due to either the heat or the cold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.