British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pet's Fee (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pets-fee-427918/)

Poppy girl Feb 20th 2007 12:01 pm

Re: Pet's Fee

Well I managed to get online last night some drops that go in the water which break down the tartar and also some mouth swabs with an ointment that lets you clean the cats teeth and kill and bacteria. $30 with shipping

My Mother when I called here said "don't be so bloody silly" lol guess Puss is going to have some DIY at home for now.

Oh Thank's for the unkind replys BASTARDS :rofl: they were amusing even if they were nasty.

Poppy girl Feb 20th 2007 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 4424531)
Either clean them yourself or give Puss cat treats that will do the job for you. I have had cats all my life and they have lived well into their teens and never had their teeth cleaned.

Same here always had cats and never a problem with teeth, and this one seems to be happy as larry no signs that he is in discomfort.
:)

Silly Sod Feb 20th 2007 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 4430029)
Well I managed to get online last night some drops that go in the water which break down the tartar and also some mouth swabs with an ointment that lets you clean the cats teeth and kill and bacteria. $30 with shipping

My Mother when I called here said "don't be so bloody silly" lol guess Puss is going to have some DIY at home for now.

Oh Thank's for the unkind replys BASTARDS :rofl: they were amusing even if they were nasty.

For the record I didn't mean to be nasty. But I guess I did sound like a nasty sod instead of just a silly sod so apols for that. Bleedin cats though, they get on me nerves!!! ;)

Poppy girl Feb 20th 2007 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4430410)
For the record I didn't mean to be nasty. But I guess I did sound like a nasty sod instead of just a silly sod so apols for that. Bleedin cats though, they get on me nerves!!! ;)

:) I know silly sod lol I was playing too.

Maz Feb 20th 2007 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 4424531)
Either clean them yourself or give Puss cat treats that will do the job for you. I have had cats all my life and they have lived well into their teens and never had their teeth cleaned.

Same here. There's a "Dental Diet" cat food out there, too, where the food bits (do they call them "kibbles"?) are larger, so they have to crunch them more, and that helps their teeth get clean. I switched my cats on to that once, and their teeth got really clean very quickly.

ironporer Feb 20th 2007 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4424746)
Box of bullets can be had for under $10 .......

Yep...when my 10 year old van needed more repairs than it was worth I got rid of it and got a new one.

New cats are a dime a dozen

Bob Feb 20th 2007 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4424746)
Box of bullets can be had for under $10 .......

gun costs a little more though :D

Ray Feb 20th 2007 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4433255)
gun costs a little more though :D

I can hire you one ...very reasonable rates ...

cranners99 Feb 20th 2007 6:02 pm

Can't abide cats myself and would happily drop kick it into the middle of next week, but I realise some are fond of them.

Poppy look here:

http://www.vetamerica.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=17

Later,

(waitnig for anti cruelty comments)

anabella Feb 20th 2007 6:09 pm

I wasn't kidding.. I hate cats.. they are evil things nothing good can be expected of them..

Poppy how are your puppies doing BTW? Do you still have them?

TouristTrap Feb 20th 2007 6:16 pm

I love them all, but my hubby absolutely DETESTS cats. He thanks god every day that I'm very allergic to the creatures, or I'd have a dozen black ones roaming around *cackle cackle cackle* :lol: :lol: 10 mins in a closed room with one and my throat closes up completely. Though I do adore them :)

TouristTrap Feb 20th 2007 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer (Post 4431358)
Yep...when my 10 year old van needed more repairs than it was worth I got rid of it and got a new one.

New cats are a dime a dozen

Not when you have to go through adoption counselling.....

Pony Feb 20th 2007 6:19 pm

This is a a bone of contention between Mrs TD and I (excuse the pun).
Mrs TD (who will be a qualified vet in May) says it is important for a cats health, and quoted numerous studies to back her claim. She has all our cats teeth cleaned periodically. Apparently it is important, and even more so in aging cats.
At the vet school she has to check the animals in (no such thing as a 'free lunch' even if we do pay $15k a year in school fee's). Each time she takes a cat it costs a couple of hundred dollars.
So IMHO it must be important if after all her schooling she feels it is important to do. I disagree as none of my cats in the UK ever had their teeth cleaned, but then again I am sure she knows more than me about this and the British are renowned for bad teeth :ohmy:

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 4424235)
Holy Crap

I just took Puss to the Vet's and they said that he needs to have his teeth cleaned? never had a cat's teeth cleaned before is this a US thing? Well I am going to have it done because I would hate to think he was in pain.

Rushie is going to have a field day on this one, they told me that it is going to cost $175 plus an extra $85 for the blood test if I want it and the heart monitor? Holy Crapper that's $270 bucks to clean the cat's teeth:huh:

The OH reckons that I am wacked paying this and that cat's teeth clean themselves?

Any thoughts am I getting ripped off the cat is 4 years old.

Poppy.

snorkmaiden Feb 20th 2007 10:29 pm

Some cats get dirtier teeth than others so if your vet thinks they need their teeth cleaning, I'd probably go ahead and do it, but I volunteer in cat rescue and see the results of not keeping on top of the cats oral health on a regular basis.

We usually get the cats when the owner didn't bother to clean teeth and the cat needs even more expensive surgery to have the teeth pulled. Also, dirty teeth can lead to some very painful conditions and can cause infection in the heart etc in the same way it can happen to humans.

The best thing you can do for your cats oral health is to actually clean their teeth yourself. It's best to do it as often as possible but anything is better than nothing.

I have two kittens with bad gingivitis at the moment, that can turn nasty quickly so I am just teaching them to get used to beef flavoured toothpaste :D

This is a great article on why they need their teeth cleaned.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...talcareforcats

Heather142 Feb 20th 2007 10:41 pm

And here is a teeth cleaning 'treat' specifically made for cats.

http://www.greenies.com/en_US/products_feline.asp