Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Petrol grades

Petrol grades

Old Mar 24th 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Petrol grades

Just returned from my Dad's funeral, which was very sad indeed.

But, when i filled the car up i noticed that the octane number for even normal petrol was higher than premium here. Any petrol-heads here care to shed light on this?

Keep it simple as I am no car expert! Cheers.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 2:46 pm
Grumpy Member

y2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to all
Default Re: Petrol grades

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill View Post
Just returned from my Dad's funeral, which was very sad indeed.

But, when i filled the car up i noticed that the octane number for even normal petrol was higher than premium here. Any petrol-heads here care to shed light on this?

Keep it simple as I am no car expert! Cheers.
Two different ways of measuring octane rating. Add approximately 5 to the US number to equal the UK measurement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
Old Mar 24th 2007, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

To explain this properly it cannot be kept simple.

I think you are sweating the small stuff. It can't be easy going to your dads funeral.

Maybe this will cheer you up instead.

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's RON and MON, RON is a general worldwide standard, why it's used in the UK....MON is more accurate, because of the way it's tested...the US use's an average of the two.

I don't really have a clue beyond that though, but it was explained a while back, in material science class, where everyone was a sleep in...