British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Petition to remove conditions of permanent residence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/petition-remove-conditions-permanent-residence-591046/)

PopeyePartridge Feb 12th 2009 2:13 pm

Petition to remove conditions of permanent residence

Hi everyone,

I am a greencard holder through marriage (wife is American) last year we filed to have my conditions removed on my greencard (we filed an I-751).

Got this today via email alert:

we transferred this CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED to our CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER location for processing because they now have jurisdiction over the case. We sent you a notice of this transfer. Please follow any instructions on this notice. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer service. We process cases in the order we receive them. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done. This case has been sent to our CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER location. Follow the link below to check processing dates.

Should I be concerned that it's been transferred to California? (although I read they have better processing times) it was just this sentence that got me:

CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER location for processing because they now have jurisdiction over the case.
Makes me sound like I've been sent to the headmasters officer (never was though,honest)

Am I just reading too much into this though?

Cheers,

Partridge

Ray Feb 12th 2009 2:17 pm

Re: Petition to remove conditions of permanent residence

Probably just moving the case to an area with more resources
don't worry ..its not uncommon

PopeyePartridge Feb 12th 2009 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7278171)
Probably just moving the case to an area with more resources
don't worry ..its not uncommon

That's what I thought to be honest,but am still a little anxious about it.
California has a far better processing time than Vermont does,in fact the difference is almost years.

Thanks for the reply.

Ray Feb 12th 2009 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by PopeyePartridge (Post 7278179)
California has a far better processing time than Vermont does,in fact the difference is almost years.

Thanks for the reply.

Don't believe all you read ...

PopeyePartridge Feb 12th 2009 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7278187)
Don't believe all you read ...

Indeed,hard to believe anything works in California to be honest.

Noorah101 Feb 12th 2009 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by PopeyePartridge (Post 7278179)

Thanks for the reply.

You have nothing to worry about. This is fairly common, to have a case transferred to another service center. It usually means a faster adjudication on your case.

Rene

PopeyePartridge Feb 12th 2009 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 7278251)
You have nothing to worry about. This is fairly common, to have a case transferred to another service center. It usually means a faster adjudication on your case.

Rene

Thanks Rene,I have no expat friends/don't know anyone who's been through the process,so I wasn't sure what it meant/whether I should be reading between the lines.

Noorah101 Feb 12th 2009 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by PopeyePartridge (Post 7278261)
Thanks Rene,I have no expat friends/don't know anyone who's been through the process,so I wasn't sure what it meant/whether I should be reading between the lines.

You've found a bunch of us here now! You are not alone! :D Welcome to BE! :)

Rene

PopeyePartridge Feb 12th 2009 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 7278284)
You've found a bunch of us here now! You are not alone! :D Welcome to BE! :)

Rene

Appreciate it,thanks :thumbup:

meauxna Feb 12th 2009 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by PopeyePartridge (Post 7278158)
Should I be concerned that it's been transferred to California? (although I read they have better processing times) it was just this sentence that got me:

Am I just reading too much into this though?

Cheers,

Partridge

No.

Yes. :)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587553

PopeyePartridge Feb 12th 2009 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7278456)

Well that sounds promising,thanks!

Next stop,citizenship. Hopefully that application goes to the California service center also :D

meauxna Feb 12th 2009 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by PopeyePartridge (Post 7278474)
Well that sounds promising,thanks!

Next stop,citizenship. Hopefully that application goes to the California service center also :D

Your N-400 form will go to a central mailbox, and I think they sit at a Service Center (or some storage) now until your Local Office is ready for you and your name checks clear.
You can watch processing times for your Local (aka District) Office starting now, and get an idea of their pace.

In this thread, you can see a bit of history & current processing dates plus goals for the coming year: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589992

PopeyePartridge Feb 12th 2009 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7278523)
Your N-400 form will go to a central mailbox, and I think they sit at a Service Center (or some storage) now until your Local Office is ready for you and your name checks clear.
You can watch processing times for your Local (aka District) Office starting now, and get an idea of their pace.

In this thread, you can see a bit of history & current processing dates plus goals for the coming year: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589992

Thanks for the link.

I believe I would have to wait for my conditions to be removed before filing the naturalisation paperwork?

meauxna Feb 12th 2009 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by PopeyePartridge (Post 7278591)
Thanks for the link.

I believe I would have to wait for my conditions to be removed before filing the naturalisation paperwork?

You can apply with N-400 as soon as you are otherwise eligible (there is a great wiki entry here.. look in the top blue bar). Look for the Guide to Naturalization linked in it, and read carefully to see when you qualify to apply.

If your I-751 has not been adjudicated by the time of your N-400 interview, they'll usually do it all in the same appointment.

I-751 does NOT need to be approved for you to file N-400. :)

Noorah101 Feb 12th 2009 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7278598)
I-751 does NOT need to be approved for you to file N-400. :)

What meauxna said. :)

Rene