Peter Kay

Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Peter Kay

Comedy fans have voted Phoenix Nights star Peter Kay Britain's most over-rated comic.

The Bolton funnyman, who stars in the hit Channel 4 sitcom and the John Smiths bitter ads, topped a poll compiled by comedy website Chortle.co.uk

He even managed to beat Jim Davidson into second place with Eddie Izzard third. Also in the Top 10 were 4: Harry Hill; 5: Graham Norton; 6: Roy Chubby Brown; 7: Ricky Gervais; 8: Billy Connolly; 9: Lee Evans; 10: Ben Elton.

His unwelcome gong doesn't suprise Steve Bennett, editor of Chortle.co.uk which compiled the fans' poll. He said: "Peter Kay's act is seen as very old school and he has a reputation for not doing anything innovative or exciting.

"Some people prefer comedy to be more inventive and original. They don't understand how he has become famous when there are talented people around doing more exciting things."

The news comes just months after DVD sales of Phoenix Nights broke records. The second series of the Channel 4 comedy became the fastest-selling UK TV show on DVD in October selling 160,000 copies in its first week of release. Kay has appeared in two series of the show as wheelchair-bound club owner Brian Potter and other characters.

His John Smiths bitter TV commercials were also voted best 2003 ad campaign.

Only Fools And Horses was selected as the most over-rated sitcom. Mr Bennett said: "It may have been great once, but there is a feeling that Only Fools And Horses is past its sell by date. The last three Christmas specials haven't been particularly good."

The Office was second, followed by Friends, then Coupling.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 2:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not eating any of that foreign muck.....

Garlic Bread?

Garlic Bread?

'ave I heard you right?

Garlic?

on Bread?

no thank you I have some milk rolls in my suitcase thanks very much.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:04 pm
cute as a button

Poppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant future

its a travesty, Peter Kay is hilarious....and voting the office as the second most over-rated comedy is tantamount to treason!!! off with their heads!

Poppy
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:32 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard any of Peter Kay's stuff so can't tell you if he's any good...my brother tells me i'm not missing much and that Bobby Ball is probably funnier. The Office is absolutley over rated though imo...somebody tell me what is funny about this show? Is it hilarious because it looks like a documentry?
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Poppy33usa
its a travesty, Peter Kay is hilarious....and voting the office as the second most over-rated comedy is tantamount to treason!!! off with their heads!

Poppy

Yes, voting the office as high as 2nd does seem bizarre, personally I have never found it funny at all !
Old Feb 27th 2004, 2:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tony_2003
Never heard any of Peter Kay's stuff so can't tell you if he's any good...my brother tells me i'm not missing much and that Bobby Ball is probably funnier. The Office is absolutley over rated though imo...somebody tell me what is funny about this show? Is it hilarious because it looks like a documentry?
Someone on another forum said "they made 3 series out of an idea that Monty Python would have done only one sketch of"
Old Feb 27th 2004, 2:49 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry don't agree with you lot about the office being no-good.

Its the funniest show I have ever watched by far, just last night on BBCA they had the "red nose day" (seen that episode about 8 times now) however its very funny.

"Can you imagine Dawn French, saying to Lenny Henry....You can't go and do red nose day, you haven't washed the dishes!!!...Piss off, I've got to feed some starving africans".

"If you buy a bum bag in the states, its called a fanny pack...cause Fanny means your arse over there.....not your minge".
Old Feb 27th 2004, 9:56 pm
@matthewb76

I have the BBC1 Xmas special of the Office. 3 years on from when Dave got sacked.
very funny if someone wants to borrow it (must return!)
Have been formatted for USA tellies.
pm me and let me know.

Incidently Lee and Dawn move to Tampa and are ****ing miserable. They come back to the UK on holiday and tell everyone how great their lives are...............but you know they're lying.

been there, done that. I was very familiar!