British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Pet Warning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/pet-warning-233658/)

sibsie May 31st 2004 1:36 pm

Pet Warning

A quick word of warning to anyone bringing over pets, especially cats and small dogs to the New England area.

On Thursday my wonderful Burmese cat who had been all over the place with me and moved countries twice with me was taken by a coyote. He wasn't out foraging in the woods, he was on the deck early morning.

After speaking to my local police and animal control, I've found out that I'm not alone and that several cats have gone in the last couple of months in my neighbourhood. Apparently coyotes are becoming a huge problem, especially in Mass which has heavily restricted the laws on controlling the coyote population. As I live on an island, the coyotes that are born here, stay here. Coyotes in Mass are also in very heavily built up areas too.

If you are bringing your cats over, try and keep them in as much as possible, and certainly from dusk til dawn.

doctor scrumpy May 31st 2004 1:48 pm

May I offer my condolences to you Sibsie.

Lion in Winter May 31st 2004 1:50 pm

Re: Pet Warning

Originally posted by sibsie
A quick word of warning to anyone bringing over pets, especially cats and small dogs to the New England area.

On Thursday my wonderful Burmese cat who had been all over the place with me and moved countries twice with me was taken by a coyote. He wasn't out foraging in the woods, he was on the deck early morning.

After speaking to my local police and animal control, I've found out that I'm not alone and that several cats have gone in the last couple of months in my neighbourhood. Apparently coyotes are becoming a huge problem, especially in Mass which has heavily restricted the laws on controlling the coyote population. As I live on an island, the coyotes that are born here, stay here. Coyotes in Mass are also in very heavily built up areas too.

If you are bringing your cats over, try and keep them in as much as possible, and certainly from dusk til dawn.

I'm sorry to hear that. I know how upsetting it is to lose a pet. You have to watch out for coyotes in many places. I even saw one here in the suburban garden of a friend.

cathy22w May 31st 2004 2:00 pm

Oh my gosh - that is awful. I am really sorry to hear this - my cat has also been everywhere with me and I can only imagine what you are going through.

Again - very sorry.

:(

Pulaski May 31st 2004 2:04 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. We have two cats and we'd be gutted if anything happened to either of them. :(

Until I came to live here in the US I was unaware of the phenomenon of the "house cat". It is common in the US for people with pet cats to keep them indoors all the time, which would, or course, be a shock for a car used to going outside. We have two cats, and both, since they were rescued and brought indoors, have never been allowed outside - the younger one escaped twice and has experienced a total of about three minutes of freedom! :rolleyes:

There are, I'm sure, many reason why people do this - the numbers of cats killed on the roads, coyotes, neighbors dogs, the risk of rabies, hoodlums with guns using cats for target hunting practice, snakes, etc. All of these are real risks, and cat owners would be well advised to consider making their cats house cats too.

Maggs May 31st 2004 2:50 pm

I am so sorry about your lovely cat. I had a Burmese many years ago that used all his nine lives up one way or another. They are the most adorable breed of cat and I totally sympathise with you. Thanks for the warning. My 11 year old tabby lady isn't too keen on the outdoor world so that is a good thing. Does anyone know if coyote's are in suburban north Chicago area? Sorry once again Sibsie.

Maggie

Maggs May 31st 2004 2:51 pm

Oops... just seen your thread. Was this in the chicago area?

Maggie

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
I'm sorry to hear that. I know how upsetting it is to lose a pet. You have to watch out for coyotes in many places. I even saw one here in the suburban garden of a friend.

Lion in Winter May 31st 2004 2:55 pm

Originally posted by Maggs
Oops... just seen your thread. Was this in the chicago area?

Maggie
Sibsie is in New England, but the coyote I saw was in someone's garden in Northfield.

(Sorry, maybe you don't know all the suburds yet. Northfield is a northern suburb, near Winntka, Wilmette, etc. Coyotes are definitely in the whole Chicago area and have become suburban like London foxes.)

thing1 May 31st 2004 3:04 pm

Sibsie, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :( My heart goes out to you.

On the warning front:

My best friend lives in Santa Barbara, CA and has to be careful about not letting her little Lulu (cat) get eaten by mountain lions. They have spotted them in her neighborhood. In Missouri, my sister-in-law's chihuahua got attacked by a pack of feral dogs. It is important to become aware of the dangers to one's pet in the area they have chosen to live...but not just the wild animal aspect...parasites and viruses take our furry friends away from us also if not protected. And sometimes we simply can't protect them 100% of time. My little dog got a "very rare" and deadly virus which she had been vaccinated for...leptospirosis.

My husband's cat, Boston, came over from the UK. When Boston lived in London, he was allowed to go outdoors daily. But when he came here I strongly advised my husband to never let him out on his own. We have lots of stray and outdoor cats in our neighborhood which I'm afraid might be cause for concern when it comes to Boston's safety. Plus there are lots of wild critters we have roaming about regularly(we live in the city). The last thing I would want is for him to get into a fight with an opossum, raccoon or get sprayed by a skunk. The only time Boston has been outdoors since he has been in the US is when he is on a leash.

Maggs May 31st 2004 3:21 pm

Thanks Lion, I will make sure to keep a look out for them. We are quite a long way out and closer to the countryside than the city which I suppose is more of a danger perhaps?

Maggie

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Sibsie is in New England, but the coyote I saw was in someone's garden in Northfield.

(Sorry, maybe you don't know all the suburds yet. Northfield is a northern suburb, near Winntka, Wilmette, etc. Coyotes are definitely in the whole Chicago area and have become suburban like London foxes.)

Lion in Winter May 31st 2004 3:59 pm

Originally posted by Maggs
Thanks Lion, I will make sure to keep a look out for them. We are quite a long way out and closer to the countryside than the city which I suppose is more of a danger perhaps?

Maggie
Yeah, there are probably moose, bison and wolves out where you are.:D

dbark May 31st 2004 4:02 pm

Sibsie,

So sorry to hear about your cat. We have a lovely Siamese cat, who also gets brave and goes out onto the porch. So far she has only been terrorized by the local tom cats, but I am always afraid of something worse.

Debbie

Pimpbot May 31st 2004 4:37 pm

Sorry to hear about your cat Sibsie.

I was surprised when I first heard the term house cat. But now having lived here long enough to know thats its just not safe for him to be out there, other than on the patio when we are there to. Its now not so strange. My wife was getting ready for work around 5am two weeks ago only to find a family of foxes patroling our patio!. We have since had several fox sightings around the house. Throw in the Coyotes, Scorpions and snakes, and our kitty ain't going anywhere. My wife has a "friendly" coyote that often walks around outside her office.

Henry George May 31st 2004 7:23 pm

Ohh come on what did you expect to happen!! What you did'nt think that in this vast land of wilde animals that it was not going to be safe to let poor old Tiddles outside. Seriously did this ever cross your mind? Did you not check with a vet, animal control, neighbor before letting your cat out. Dumbass.
RIP Tiddles

Pimpbot May 31st 2004 7:26 pm

Originally posted by Henry George
Ohh come on what did you expect to happen!! What you did'nt think that in this vast land of wilde animals that it was not going to be safe to let poor old Tiddles outside. Seriously did this ever cross your mind? Did you not check with a vet, animal control, neighbor before letting your cat out. Dumbass.
RIP Tiddles
Hopefully that will be your first and last post. Dumbass. :rolleyes: