Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Transfer Companies

Pet Transfer Companies

Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:43 am
Just Joined

lcl_sutherland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pet Transfer Companies

I am moving from London to San Francisco with my husband and cat and have been looking at Pet Relocation companies to use, but there seem to be so many that I wondered if anyone can recommend some good ones to use, and know of any to avoid.

Also, please let me know if there is anything in particular that I need to be aware of in regards to moving her. I know that she needs a Rabies shot more than 30 days out, with a vet certificate to prove it, along with a general health certificate from our vet 10 days before she leaves, but is there anything else?

I have also been told to double check with whatever airline we use to ship her for their requirements. So please let me know if there are any airlines that are better to use than others too!

Thanks

Claire
Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Transfer Companies

H...there are many, many threads on this subject. If you use the Search Function located in the pink bar at the top of the page...you should be able to find them. Go to 'Advanced Search' and put something like 'Pets' in the 'Search Title' box. Depending what airline you use you may be able to take a cat to travel in the cabin with you.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:05 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Or, check the USA wiki guide.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

We used Pet Air UK - highly recommended. We did all the paperwork ourselves and used our own vet to save money, but they also offer a more expensive package where they handle all the vet checks and paperwork.

When are you flying? Some airlines have periods where they won't ship animals due to weather conditions - usually in the height of summer.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
H...there are many, many threads on this subject. If you use the Search Function located in the pink bar at the top of the page...you should be able to find them. Go to 'Advanced Search' and put something like 'Pets' in the 'Search Title' box. Depending what airline you use you may be able to take a cat to travel in the cabin with you.

Hey! Thanks I saw those, but was looking more for Pet Relocation companies.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Or, check the USA wiki guide.
Hey! Thanks! I have already searched the Wiki and there didn't seem to be any relating to taking a pet to the US. They were all about taking pets from the US or to other loactions.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcl_sutherland
Hey! Thanks I saw those, but was looking more for Pet Relocation companies.
If it were my pet and it confirmed to the weight restrictions...I would takeit in the cabin. Less cost and less trouble IMO.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:42 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hey! Thanks! I have already searched the Wiki and there didn't seem to be any relating to taking a pet to the US. They were all about taking pets from the US or to other loactions.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Bringing_Pets
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving from London to San Francisco with my husband and cat...
I love my dogs, but I would never subject them to an international flight. I suggest you leave the cat behind and get a new one when you're in the US. Much better for all.

Ian
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I love my dogs, but I would never subject them to an international flight. I suggest you leave the cat behind and get a new one when you're in the US. Much better for all.

Ian
Neither would I unless it was an emergency...QMII is the way to travel with pets.

Leaving it behind may be a good idea...especially if it's used to roaming about out of doors. Most cats here tend to be kept indoors 24/7.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

We used Airpets based next to Heathrow as they came highly recommended by both my vet and from other research. They were excellent and the cats arrived safe and sound and were met by a vet this side, taken through customs for us and delivered to us at our hotel about an hour after we arrived at the hotel. We were on the same flight but it was one less worry to have them met by the vet arranged by Airpets whilst we stood in the queue for port of entry requirements. I'd definitely use them again when we return to the UK at some point.

Your cat will need to be microchipped as well if not done already. We had pet passports done by the vet before traveling.

Last edited by Phoodilicious; Jan 31st 2013 at 12:23 am. Reason: Added in about microchipping.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
We used Airpets based next to Heathrow as they came highly recommended by both my vet and from other research. They were excellent and the cats arrived safe and sound and were met by a vet this side, taken through customs for us and delivered to us at our hotel about an hour after we arrived at the hotel. We were on the same flight but it was one less worry to have them met by the vet arranged by Airpets whilst we stood in the queue for port of entry requirements. I'd definitely use them again when we return to the UK at some point.

Your cat will need to be microchipped as well if not done already. We had pet passports done by the vet before traveling.
Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Ailidh is an unknown quantity at this point

I travelled from Switzerland to Houston, taking the cat in the cabin with me. I took Lufthansa. It cost Euro 90. The cat to my amazement was absolutely fine during the long trip, slept the whole way in her carryon. My husband took the other cat on a United flight, also in the cabin. Also to his amazement the cat was fine. She's normally a real pain too and aggressive. She slept the whole way too.. And nobody had any accidents.

However, our two dogs travelled with us in the baggage hold on the Lufthansa flights and one of them died, so I don't advise shipping any pets in the hold.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

I would have liked to have had the cats travel in the cabin but as they don't even travel a short distance to the vet in the car without sounding like they are being murdered I didn't think the other travellers would appreciate their vocalisations! Has anyone travelled with a disgruntled cat in the cabin and had any bad experiences with other travellers/cabin crew?
Old Feb 1st 2013, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
Has anyone travelled with a disgruntled cat in the cabin and had any bad experiences with other travellers/cabin crew?
I haven't been in a cabin with a disgruntled cat, but I have been in a cabin with a cat. It's a living hell for those of us who are highly allergic to cats - and it's compounded when the crew can't be arsed to turn off the air recycler. And in case anyone is wondering, proximity isn't the issue. For someone who is allergic, being 1 foot away or 50 feet away... it makes no difference. I don't blame the cat, but I do blame the owner and the crew for being insensitive and inconsiderate. At the most basic level, I have the right to unobstructed breathing; no one has the right to bring Fifi into the cabin.

The only reason people want to bring pets with them is because they're selfish.

Okay... I'll get off the soap box for now.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.