Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Relocation UK to USA Reccomendations

Pet Relocation UK to USA Reccomendations

Old Oct 31st 2016, 4:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Relocation UK to USA Reccomendations

Originally Posted by cjblevins14
I am lookong at having my dog sent here to Washington state to be with me since my partner from the UK died this passed July while here in the states with me.I am very fearful of doing anything that could cause or dog any harm.He is with my partners daughter now. I know you used Pet Air, I have a quote from passportforpets.They have been communicating with me but I want more information on how they deal with a very anxious dogs who had never been crated.Can you tell me what and how Pet Air made you feel about these things?
Have you spoken to your dog's vet to see how he/she feels that the dog would handle this kind of stress? Usually sedatives aren't recommended for traveling, but if the animal is particularly nervous, perhaps the doctor might think that something is in order. Also, the person who currently has the dog should get the crate well in advance of the travel date, and start getting the dog used to spending time in it -- make it an inviting place to be, with a favorite blanket, toys, and treats.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

cjblevins14 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will want my partners daughter to do this as you are suggesting. I cannot fly over again to help get him ready as much as I would like to, since I flew over in August for my partners funeral. The cost of his flight will be all I can afford. Thank you for your thoughts.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Have you spoken to your dog's vet to see how he/she feels that the dog would handle this kind of stress? Usually sedatives aren't recommended for traveling, but if the animal is particularly nervous, perhaps the doctor might think that something is in order. Also, the person who currently has the dog should get the crate well in advance of the travel date, and start getting the dog used to spending time in it -- make it an inviting place to be, with a favorite blanket, toys, and treats.
On top of this it might be worth doing a few trial journeys in the crate in a car if possible.

One other thing to consider if you are likely to take the dog back to the UK is to get him/her chipped, this may make life easier on the return journey under pet passport
Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

agent welsh is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought all 3 of my pets over in August to Newark, New Jersey. My oldest Pet a 15 year old westie did just fine. She had only been crated once on her flight to the UK. My Vet said that it's best to not over think it. They all got their fit to fly and off we went.

Condolences about you partner.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=mrken30;12092117]On Marley is chipped and had his rabies vaccination in 2011..so that is done but it is for where he is now his chip is. I have asked that my partners daughter find out if that is ok that it us for there etc.
Again..thank you for your thoughts..
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for letting me know your babies all did ok..I know I am likely over worrying.In my state I am fearful more than I would normally be..I think.
Thank you for your thoughts and advice and your condolenses are much appreciated..Can you tell me what company or airline you used?
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cjblevins14;12092168]
Originally Posted by mrken30
On Marley is chipped and had his rabies vaccination in 2011..so that is done but it is for where he is now his chip is. I have asked that my partners daughter find out if that is ok that it us for there etc.
Again..thank you for your thoughts..
It seems likely that a rabies vaccination given in 2011 would have expired by now -- usually three years is the longest term. Also, check what kind of rabies vaccination is required in the destination state -- there are different types and you should ensure your pet receives the correct version. In the US, your pet will require heartworm protection meds, Lyme vaccine and DHLP vaccine (the latter two are often combined in one shot these days).
Old Oct 31st 2016, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can buy Revolution in the UK now which covers heart worm and fleas
Old Oct 31st 2016, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Yes all good ideas..we will ask about these as well.. thank you..
Old Oct 31st 2016, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

I will mention this to my family there.
Thank you..
Old Oct 31st 2016, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

agent welsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjblevins14
Thank you for letting me know your babies all did ok..I know I am likely over worrying.In my state I am fearful more than I would normally be..I think.
Thank you for your thoughts and advice and your condolenses are much appreciated..Can you tell me what company or airline you used?
We used Fetch a Pet, which is based in Colchester. The pets went on BA flights.
They picked them up from the house Labrador, cat, westie $2200 with bespoke crates made. I talked to them, went there, and emailed lots of times. They were pleased to help and show me around.