Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Relocation UK to USA Reccomendations

Pet Relocation UK to USA Reccomendations

Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:07 pm
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pet Relocation UK to USA Reccomendations

They are 'supposed' to allow it and for any sized dog if t's a service animal but I'm wondering if, in reality anyone has known them to ever allow this and if there has been dog in the cabin for a UK/US flight . . .
Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is some guidance from the US end
Air Travel Hotline
, I love this bit " Since then, a wider variety of animal (e.g., cats, monkeys, etc.) have been individually trained to assist people with disabilities."
Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the same information from the UK end
https://www.guidedogs.org.uk/service.../#.V1s1RLgrJmM
Old Jun 12th 2016, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megalaser
They are 'supposed' to allow it and for any sized dog if t's a service animal but I'm wondering if, in reality anyone has known them to ever allow this and if there has been dog in the cabin for a UK/US flight . . .
We just flew our cats in the cabin this past Wednesday on KLM via Amsterdam from Edinburgh. I just posted a thread about the experience if you want to read about it - http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...lantic-878755/

Also, regarding dogs in the cabin, I flew to Chicago via Amsterdam earlier this year. My husband and I were recorded as vegetarian and therefore received our meals early on the flight from AMS to ORD. Just after I unwrapped the food, I felt something move between my feet. I was quite startled and then thought it must have been my imagination. I felt it again a few seconds later and almost threw my food tray over to my husband in order to lift the seat tray up and check out what was on the floor. When I did, a small dog jumped up on my lap!!!! So yes, they are on flights Again, due to regulations, I believe one has to fly out of the UK and to the USA from a European airport in order to have pets in the cabin.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jgraham95
Greetings all,

Looking for some help on your experiences with Pet Relocation. I recently have obtained a visa and will be moving over to Atlanta, Georgia from Edinburgh and am trying to figure out the best options for bringing my dog over.

I have been told of 2 options to use, 1 being a dedicated Air-freight and the other is via the chargeable excess baggage fee on my flight over with airlines such as KLM or British Airways.

Now I have been looking into costs via Air-freight and all these dedicated services have been quoting me in excess of £3000 which covers everything including vaccinations, passport, etc. However my dog already is up to date with vaccinations, chipped and valid passport so other than filling out the paperwork, purchasing a kennel and booking the flight I feel this sort of cost to be rather expensive. On the other hand I have seen Airlines such as KLM quoting between 150-300 euro's to accompany me on my flight over and I heard British Airways offers similar options around the £900 mark.

As I have no experience in this I was looking to see what others thoughts are from their experiences of using these services and what you would recommend. My main worry is my dog safety in transportation conditions where she will not be neglected, stressed or be in storage that has excessive noise or poor heat and ventilated conditions including if there are concerns during the trip that she will be well looked after or that I am close by to check up on her or have her checked up on.

I have read that various people recommend the Excess Luggage option but there is never mention on duration of trip and number of stops in their experiences. As this will be at least 12+ hours travelling I want things to be as pain and stress free as possible for my dog.

What method of transportation have you all had experience with and which transporters/airlines have you used? Would you recommend any in particular or recommend any to avoid?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I appreciate any input you have to offer.
Hello,

We just moved from Edinburgh and flew our 2 cats in the cabin from Edinburgh to Atlanta via Amsterdam on KLM. I could be mistaken, but if they are being flown in the hold from Edinburgh, I believe you have to use Extrodinair from Edinburgh airport - Pet Travel | Extrordinair
Old Jun 15th 2016, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jgraham95
Greetings all,

Looking for some help on your experiences with Pet Relocation. I recently have obtained a visa and will be moving over to Atlanta, Georgia from Edinburgh and am trying to figure out the best options for bringing my dog over.

I have been told of 2 options to use, 1 being a dedicated Air-freight and the other is via the chargeable excess baggage fee on my flight over with airlines such as KLM or British Airways.

Now I have been looking into costs via Air-freight and all these dedicated services have been quoting me in excess of £3000 which covers everything including vaccinations, passport, etc. However my dog already is up to date with vaccinations, chipped and valid passport so other than filling out the paperwork, purchasing a kennel and booking the flight I feel this sort of cost to be rather expensive. On the other hand I have seen Airlines such as KLM quoting between 150-300 euro's to accompany me on my flight over and I heard British Airways offers similar options around the £900 mark.

As I have no experience in this I was looking to see what others thoughts are from their experiences of using these services and what you would recommend. My main worry is my dog safety in transportation conditions where she will not be neglected, stressed or be in storage that has excessive noise or poor heat and ventilated conditions including if there are concerns during the trip that she will be well looked after or that I am close by to check up on her or have her checked up on.

I have read that various people recommend the Excess Luggage option but there is never mention on duration of trip and number of stops in their experiences. As this will be at least 12+ hours travelling I want things to be as pain and stress free as possible for my dog.

What method of transportation have you all had experience with and which transporters/airlines have you used? Would you recommend any in particular or recommend any to avoid?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I appreciate any input you have to offer.
Hi,

I have been involved as a volunteer relocating animals from the Middle East to the US and Canada for 2 years. We have relocated over 150 animals. I would not bother paying to ship the pet as cargo it is a waste of money. To enter the US all you need is proof of rabies vaccination a minimum of 30 days before you fly. Both 1 and 3 year vaccines are OK. You will need to deworm and de-flea them within 5 days of travel, but the CDC in the US NEVER asks to check this, but it is an official requirement.
I would fly from the UK to the US with KLM or Lufthansa via Amsterdam or Frankfurt. If your lay over is greater than 4 hours they will take the pet out of the crate at the airport in the "pet hotel", so I advise to go for a long'ish layover for your pets sake.
Contrary to what you may have been told, this is actually an easy thing to do. In the US you will get your pet at the luggage carousel. From there your rabies vaccination will be looked at by a CDC person, and they will give you a piece of paper to show customs that they have checked the vaccine book. Customs do not routinely check paperwork in the US. I have never had a bad experience (I have flown over 20 animals myself) with customs. Most of the time they are animal lovers and want to talk about the dog!

PM me if you have any questions, and good luck!
Old Jun 15th 2016, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone taken a bulldog breed over to the US?

I will (hopefully) be relocating to the US soon and I have a French Bulldog which I would obviously love to take with me as he's like my child. Obviously I will speak to the vet prior to anything happening but Bulldogs struggle to breath at the best of times and so I wouldn't want to do anything to stress him/risk his health.

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Has anyone taken a bulldog breed over to the US?

I will (hopefully) be relocating to the US soon and I have a French Bulldog which I would obviously love to take with me as he's like my child. Obviously I will speak to the vet prior to anything happening but Bulldogs struggle to breath at the best of times and so I wouldn't want to do anything to stress him/risk his health.

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Perhaps you need to think about sailing. Here is an NYT article on the topic, and if you Google you will find a lot more:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/ny...ewanted=1&_r=2
Old Jul 27th 2016, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Bluenose2205 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by si250
I Had my dog stay with family for a month and then got him sent over by a company in the UK called passportforpets.
They collected him from Worcester and drove him to their depot by Heathrow where he stayed the night, next morning he was on the plane Heathrow to Chicago. It all cost £1300
Hi . We intend to send our three dogs to the states a couple of days before we leave the uk . Our sister in law will collect them from the airport. How easy is it to collect them , and what ID would she need ?
Old Jul 27th 2016, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Bluenose2205 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by megalaser
I'm wondering - has anyone on here (or knows anyone) that has ever flown with their dog in the CABIN of the aircraft on a transatlantic flight? As a service dog or whatever, has anyone done this or seen a dog in the cabin or knows anyone that has done it? It's my understanding that all dogs are flown across the Atlantic in the cargo hold.
We came back from the states in January. There was a woman with a very small dog on her lap . This was with KLM.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

agent welsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bluenose2205
Hi . We intend to send our three dogs to the states a couple of days before we leave the uk . Our sister in law will collect them from the airport. How easy is it to collect them , and what ID would she need ?
My sister is picking up my pets. She just needs her Driving Licence and is picking them up in the BA cargo area of the airport.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

carlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agent welsh
My sister is picking up my pets. She just needs her Driving Licence and is picking them up in the BA cargo area of the airport.
Same here. My In-Laws are collecting as our cats are going over before us. You just need to make sure their name is on the form for collection and they bring ID.

I did look in to arranging it all myself direct with the airline but as United are the only carrier which covered our route (with planes that can take pets in the hold) you have to go through their agency in the UK (PBS).

I know there's been advice on here recently that you can arrange it yourself and it's worth looking in to - just didn't work for us.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Elliecat is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just moved to Maine from the UK (May 2016) with 3 cats and 2 dogs. You cannot have them in the cabin. We used PetAir flying Heathrow to Boston and I cannot recommend them enough. They help with everything and handle all the paperwork. Yes it's expensive but I felt my fur babies welfare was worth every penny. Please feel free to ask me any questions and I'll gladly help.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

cjblevins14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elliecat
We have just moved to Maine from the UK (May 2016) with 3 cats and 2 dogs. You cannot have them in the cabin. We used PetAir flying Heathrow to Boston and I cannot recommend them enough. They help with everything and handle all the paperwork. Yes it's expensive but I felt my fur babies welfare was worth every penny. Please feel free to ask me any questions and I'll gladly help.
Hello I am looking at bringing my English Springer Spaniel to Seattle Washington from North Wales ..I have gotten a quote from passportforpets and have just sent off a query to Pet Air.. I am very concerned for my dog as he had not really ever been crated. He is with my partners daughter now..My partner died while in the states with me this past July 2016..I am grief stricken would like to have our dog with me but I could not deal with something going wrong and losing him as well..can you help me find peace in having a very people loving dog who does not like being on his own at all being flown so far. I worry what the stress it would do to him..I know you used pet air..what are they like..?
Old Oct 31st 2016, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

cjblevins14 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am lookong at having my dog sent here to Washington state to be with me since my partner from the UK died this passed July while here in the states with me.I am very fearful of doing anything that could cause or dog any harm.He is with my partners daughter now. I know you used Pet Air, I have a quote from passportforpets.They have been communicating with me but I want more information on how they deal with a very anxious dogs who had never been crated.Can you tell me what and how Pet Air made you feel about these things?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.