Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old May 8th 2005, 4:40 am
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by shepslady
Well it was a new one on me too & they think Im the weird one for refusing to eat peanutbutter sandwiches with my chilli...Im sorry but I will stick to my cornbread. Nice to know someone else agrees with me!
Nothing wrong with Marmite either but I guess thats an English thing although I have got my husband addicted to it. I also like Vegemite too

Cornbread???!!! BBAARFF!!!
Old May 8th 2005, 5:33 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin
Cornbread???!!! BBAARFF!!!
Apparently that point was emphatic enough to make twice!

Are you an Ipswich supporter, by chance?
Old May 8th 2005, 5:35 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin
Cornbread???!!! BBAARFF!
lol so what do you like to eat your chilli with then
Old May 8th 2005, 5:40 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
lol so what do you like to eat your chilli with then
Perhaps he doesn't like chili?

nb: I write nearly everything in British English but since I am a native Texan I cannot bring myself to write "chilli" and it makes me laugh to see my British friends call the rock band "Red Hot Chilli Peppers." Now earlier I was pointing out how silly the US media are to call England's Labour Party the "Labor Party" but since RHCP is also a proper name I think my friends ought to follow the same rule

To our west the Spanish word for pepper is spelt "chile" .... which makes me wonder why the California-based band went with "chile"?

Factoid: New Mexico is famous for its dried chile wreaths
Old May 8th 2005, 2:15 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I write nearly everything in British English but since I am a native Texan I cannot bring myself to write "chilli" and it makes me laugh to see my British friends call the rock band "Red Hot Chilli Peppers." Now earlier I was pointing out how silly the US media are to call England's Labour Party the "Labor Party" but since RHCP is also a proper name I think my friends ought to follow the same rule
Right with you there. Last week I was even moved to write brief Mr-Angry-Expat-in-New-Jersey emails to prominent US publications pointing out the Labour/Labor confusion. I got back replies telling me that US publications all rely on the "AP stylebook", which insists on the American spelling. That totally misses the point about Labour being a proper name so I gave up and didn't pursue it any further.

But if I ever have to refer to RHCP in future, I shall be sure to use the correct spelling.

Last edited by elfman; May 8th 2005 at 2:25 pm.
Old May 9th 2005, 7:04 pm
Franklin

I have just wasted 2 hours with two scam outfits. My firm's phone system was "slammed", switched from our normal provider to a third party provider. I can't believe companies would operate like this, but hey, welcome to life in the jungle! Everyone wants a bite of your rear end!

Old May 10th 2005, 3:41 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Wells ****ing Fargo - muppets oh and if I was on about the UK - Abbey ****ing National - muppets -I mean how hard can it be to move money ?
Old May 10th 2005, 5:25 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
I have just wasted 2 hours with two scam outfits. My firm's phone system was "slammed", switched from our normal provider to a third party provider. I can't believe companies would operate like this, but hey, welcome to life in the jungle! Everyone wants a bite of your rear end!

You need to request a PIC freeze.
Old May 10th 2005, 6:05 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Walking in the pharmacy, placing a prescription for something that is pre-packaged and does not need to be counted, and being told, "It'll be ready in 45 minutes." WTF! There are no other customers in the whole store!
Old May 10th 2005, 4:11 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Pay Pal, when they temporarily freeze your account and accuse you of money laundering when all you are trying to do is send money to the UK to pay off the debts and child support. Muppets.
Old May 10th 2005, 10:17 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Walking in the pharmacy, placing a prescription for something that is pre-packaged and does not need to be counted, and being told, "It'll be ready in 45 minutes." WTF! There are no other customers in the whole store!

yes - this is the bggest load of bollocks

I was told to come back 3 hours latest for a sealed package

I promptly complained to walgreens head office
Old May 10th 2005, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Pay Pal, when they temporarily freeze your account and accuse you of money laundering when all you are trying to do is send money to the UK to pay off the debts and child support. Muppets.
I sent some money home yesterday and the bank have just called wanting to know whats its for..cheeky shits I'll be expecting the FBI round later looking for drugs..
Old May 10th 2005, 11:53 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by woodsey
I sent some money home yesterday and the bank have just called wanting to know whats its for..cheeky shits I'll be expecting the FBI round later looking for drugs..

What are nearly concealing there in your avatar madam?

Old May 11th 2005, 1:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

******* speed limit signs that are different on either side of the street....there's this place that goes from 50 down to 35 just before a couple buildings, but on the other side of the road, it stays 35 for a mile past the buildings...muppets.
Old May 11th 2005, 2:25 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Bob
******* speed limit signs that are different on either side of the street....there's this place that goes from 50 down to 35 just before a couple buildings, but on the other side of the road, it stays 35 for a mile past the buildings...muppets.
That's not a muppet, it's a speed trap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.