Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Dec 28th 2004, 2:04 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
In the UK I tended to frequent post-offices that were staffed by self-employed people. I often went to a village post-office in my village near Bath, there were two windows staffed by two workers who did not work for the post office. They were not paid by the UK PO so I guess what they earned depended largely on how much service they sold to Joe public like me. There was but a short wait and much background village gossip, but not to the staff serving you, they would say "NEXT!" The line was never long, I guess they wanted the business!

Unless I am mistaken, Federal post offices are staffed by Federal workers, their earnings are not impacted by how many customers they serve. They are paid a regular hourly rate ... Lairdside has more knowledge of this area, so I will bow to her expertise. Where are you Lairdside?!!!? Came out wherever you are! *LOL*
Hmm. Yes and no. USPS employees are Federal employees. Mamagement are salaried and non management are hourly paid (and eligible for union coverage).

However, the USPS does not receive any tax dollars.. so profits will cause cutbacks (whilst management are busy squandering cash left, right and center).

Basically and PO which is not efficient and profitable risks closure.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 2:04 am
Velouria

In the UK I tended to frequent post-offices that were staffed by self-employed people. I often went to a village post-office in my village near Bath, there were two windows staffed by two workers who did not work for the post office. They were not paid by the UK PO so I guess what they earned depended largely on how much service they sold to Joe public like me. There was but a short wait and much background village gossip, but not to the staff serving you, they would say "NEXT!" The line was never long, I guess they wanted the business!

As far as the Federal PO goes I will bow to Lairdside's expertise. Lairdside works for the Federal PO!
true - i did notice the smaller post offices got people through quicker than the general ones.. in the end i just went to the sorting office - way quicker and i got to know everyone there

Old Dec 28th 2004, 2:07 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Velouria
we drove through nevada to get to california then back again up to calgary

a fair amount of snow here... unsuccessfully tried to drive up a hill today, but although the wheels were turning, i was going nowhere (fast too!) enough for toboganning im told!

dont talk to me about work - i worked a 12 hour shift on boxing day :/
*HUGS* - I live in the Sierras... Lake Tahoe.... I don't suppose you came by me?

You need snow tires and or/chains and 4WD
Old Dec 28th 2004, 3:13 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Let me first respond with a Merry Christmas!
And a Merry Xmas to you, too!
The ACLU has made a tactical and strategic error, they don't have to protect us against the religious far right, that job belongs to the Constitution, not the ACLU.
Think the religious far right has the Constitution firmly in their sights. A homophobic amendment would go down very nicely. And how about overturning Roe v. Wade in the Supreme Court for a double whammy?
I never thought about this issue until this Christmas when the efforts by the ACLU and its partners to undermine Christmas grew quite loud.
Nearly as loud as your greeting, perhaps?
I don't give a dam about the religious right; I don't believe they will ever have a controlling influence in destroying traditions like Christmas. Now if the religious far right sought to destroy Christmas like the ACLU then I would have an issue with the religious far right, but as far as I can tell the religious far right is not objecting to Christmas or Christmas carols or the use of the term "Happy Christmas".
Think the religious right is probably quite happy with keeping Xmas. Seems they only want to destroy non-Christians, homosexuals and murderers…while protecting the rights of the unborn and reinventing science. And collecting those love gifts, of course!
... I suspect this will be a major issue at the next election and I suspect 80% of the population will vote against any party that supports the ACLU and its drive to outlaw traditions like Christmas.
Well 52% of the population proved themselves brain dead at the last election, but I think 80% is a touch high! Personally, I think the next election will probably be decided on the crumbling economy and total failure of the dozo W and his swarmy henchmen in all their policies.
I don't like Orwellian tactics and will refuse to cooperate.
Neither do I! Therefore, I will take the middle ground and respect the ACLU as a counter balance to far right religious loonies.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 4:43 am
Velouria

Originally Posted by lairdside
*HUGS* - I live in the Sierras... Lake Tahoe.... I don't suppose you came by me?

You need snow tires and or/chains and 4WD
no ! that was going to be our original route, but we headed back from mission viejo, CA towards vegas then north through salt lake city...

yes - 4WD! if only my budget could afford it still, wait a few minutes, this snow will all be gone by the next chinook!

Old Dec 28th 2004, 2:01 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light
Default Pet Peeves peculiar to living in Jesusland

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Personally, I think the next election will probably be decided on the crumbling economy and total failure of the dozo W and his swarmy henchmen in all their policies.
I doubt it. Those hardest hit by Bush's billionaire's club agenda have already demonstrated their capacity to vote against their own economic self-interest. And they won't get to hear about his failures, since they refuse to touch any news media that isn't overwhelmingly skewed in favour of Bush (the Murdoch empire and its imitators), believing everything else to be tainted with liberal bias, defined as giving any coverage at all to opposing viewpoints. For example, our local paper, the Island Packet publishes both liberal and conservative columnists and editorial cartoons in roughly equal measure, but they still get letters complaining of "bias" from people who want the liberal columnists and cartoonists expunged. Not only that, but, like many smaller papers, their news is mostly cut and pasted from wire services such as Reuters and the Associated Press (usually the latter). Those same letters protest that the news should be filtered through Murdoch's distorting lens before it is presented to them, lest they be exposed to an unauthorised opinion or unfavourable fact.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 3:07 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Just my response on religious rights, ACLU, 'free country' and all that rubbish.
thats something I've never understood in all my years here.
To me freedom means that I can say merry Christmas if I want to. It means I can speak freely on my opinion. It means I can practice my religion.
I dont think it means I should push my religion on anyone else. I dont think it means I cant respect other people's beliefs.
It seems if you are a fanatic on your beliefs or if you are a minority you have rights here. But if you happen to be white, work for a living, and average you better keep your opinions to yourself and watch what you say.
I think the original 'rights thought' (or whatever) may have been meant to be a good thing. But the US has let all these little groups take it to far. It's outrageous and is definitley a 'pet peave' of mine!
Old Dec 28th 2004, 9:07 pm
Franklin

And a Merry Xmas to you, too!

Think the religious far right has the Constitution firmly in their sights. A homophobic amendment would go down very nicely. And how about overturning Roe v. Wade in the Supreme Court for a double whammy?

Nearly as loud as your greeting, perhaps?

Think the religious right is probably quite happy with keeping Xmas. Seems they only want to destroy non-Christians, homosexuals and murderers…while protecting the rights of the unborn and reinventing science. And collecting those love gifts, of course!

Well 52% of the population proved themselves brain dead at the last election, but I think 80% is a touch high! Personally, I think the next election will probably be decided on the crumbling economy and total failure of the dozo W and his swarmy henchmen in all their policies.

Neither do I! Therefore, I will take the middle ground and respect the ACLU as a counter balance to far right religious loonies.
The more Democrats are seen to be linked to the ACLU mindset the more the Democratic Party (DP) will bleed because Middle America does not support the ACLU mindset, and this should be abundantly clear by now. Thus, the more the ACLU grab news headlines trying to destroy traditions like Christmas etc. the less chance the DP has of getting back in power and we need a universal health care system to bring dignity to Americans who lack access to decent health care. As a pragmatist I say the Democratic Party must ditch the ACLU mindset (and the ACLU) or it will wither and become unelectable. The ACLU no longer speaks to justice and liberty, but for reasons known to them they seek to subvert the will of the majority by, among other things, undermining traditions like Christmas.

My reference to 80% was not a reference to 80% voting in one direction, but 80% of the people voting on culture issues – I think the majority will vote against the ACLU mind set and any party that supports the ACLU, but the figure will not be 80%; sorry for the lack of clarification.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Dec 28th 2004 at 11:01 pm.

Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Just so that it is clear where I my roots and beliefs are...
Hell…we’ve been a busy boy today! 1800 words, no less! After 3 <Ctrl J>’s I even managed to read it all! If I may say so, breaking it into a few extra paragraphs might also have helped the reader.

As you quote my post, I would assume you are referring to me. You make some strange assumptions. Please allow me to correct them. You seem to imply that I support the Democrats and ACLU, and also wish to deprive the US of the fine benefit of a social healthcare system. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I am strictly independent and have always voted for who I thought would best do the job. My politics tend to lean right on fiscal matters and left on almost everything else. Personally, I would vote for any hope of breaking the Republican/Democrat stranglehold on the country. Realistically, I will vote for the bastard that pissed me off least.

I do not support the ACLU; I merely respect them for their stance. They, together with the UN and France, are the whipping posts for the hatred of the right. So be it. If it wasn’t the ACLU it would be someone else as Fox News and “fascist radio� needs to talk about something between sensational, sex-related murder trials. Leave them alone! I think the world is far better with them than without them.

On the healthcare front, I wholly support a socialized healthcare system. The present US system sucks. The best model at the moment seems to be the Spanish one. See my posts elsewhere in BE for further confirmation of this.

IMHO, the economy sucks! And the outlook isn’t much better. I don’t think I could ever bring myself to vote for such a vile turd as Bush and his cronies, but at least if he’d done something good with the economy I might have been able to overlook the fact he is a born-again, alcoholic, total failure who’s only there because daddy put a silver spoon in his mouth. Sorry, but I cannot see one saving grace for the first 4 years of this administration. And much as I don’t like to get depressed, there ain’t much hope for the next 4, either!
Old Dec 28th 2004, 11:03 pm
Septicity

Don't you hate it when people cut their posts after you've replied!

Here was PA's original post to which I replied...

Just so that it is clear where I my roots and beliefs are; I support pragmatic things like, but not limited to, full employment and to get it I support a TOTAL FULL PULL OUT OF THE WTO AND ASAP. Because I believe so strongly in full employment anything that speaks against full employment must go. The WTO is killing jobs so our membership MUST GO. America is getting pulverized; great states have bled jobs because of our stupid membership of the WTO. I support the Unions because they want the USA to pull out of the WTO. So don’t think of me as a dyed in the wool Republican. Yes I believe in free enterprise and small businesses, but I support small businesses. I don’t support big business who seem to like the WTO; I wanted Gephardt to do better and end up as the Vice President candidate because Gephardt had strong union support and Gephardt is a great guy (picking Edwards to run as VP was a big mistake), Gephardt had the union vote and represented Middle America which would have acted like a counterweight to Kerry’s east coast roots, but Gephardt lost badly in the first run-off and then I liked Howard Dean (but two east coast politicians on the Democratic ticket would not have worked, but Edwards was a bad pick), I believe in a central health care provision that is paid for by everyone (I support doubling the price of gas to pay for it, so that everyone pays for it) and adding VAT so that everyone pays for it and not play on the stupid idea that only the rich need pay for it, it has to come out of everyone’s pocket. But I will vote against the Democratic Party at every election from here on out if the Democratic Party does not stand up for Middle America and Middle America traditions. It’s no longer “the economy stupid�, but Middle America traditions and jobs, but traditions come first and Ohio put traditions before the economy and even before jobs, Middle America doesn’t support the ACLU mindset, so the Democratic Party better watch out and stop supporting the ACLU mindset if they want to win an election.

That said, Middle America doesn’t support the ACLU mindset. Democrats who support the ACLU are actually hurting their nose to spite their face, the more Democrats are seen to be linked to the ACLU mindset the more the Democratic Party will bleed because Middle America does not support the ACLU mindset, that should be abundantly clear by now. Thus, the more the ACLU grab news headlines the more the Democratic Party will bleed. As a pragmatist I say the Democratic Party must ditch the ACLU mindset or it will remain unelectable. It's no longer about the economy, Middle America hates the ACLU mindset. So supporting the ACLU like you do is not taking the middle road - and please don't come up with the lame excuse that supporting the ACLU is simply a counter to the far right - that's BS even if you can't see it.

My reference to 80% was not a reference to 80% voting in one direction, but 80% of the people voting on culture issues – I think the majority will vote against the ACLU mind set and any party that supports the ACLU, but the figure will not be 80%; sorry for the lack of clarification.

I think you think too much about the religious far right. The only amendments that stand any chance of getting through the next Congress with the necessary votes and carry enough states would be an amendment that bolsters the reference to "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. On information and belief over 90% (perhaps over 95% and as much as 99%) of Congress support the Pledge of Allegiance and like it or hate it this is clearly the will of the majority and not just the religious far right. The more the Democratic Party point fingers at the far right the more the Democratic Party will, like it or not, bleed. Like it or not, the more Democratic Party supporters call 52% of the population idiots the more the Democratic Party will bleed.

Your reference to the economy is now obsolete, the economy is picking up and picking up quite strongly; I only really know about the biotech/chemical sectors, but for a fact the chemical sector is picking up very well and posting big profits (see, e.g., December 20, 2004 issue of Chemical & Engineering News, which posted at the top of its front page, “BUSINESS: OPTIMISM RETURNS AFTER AN EXTENDED HIATUS�).

Anyway, the issue is more complicated than the iconic “it’s about the economy�, the issue is jobs; the economy might be doing well but if jobs seriously and continually lag behind the economy this will remain an issue. But that said, even in Ohio where manufacturing jobs have been hit hard the majority of voters still voted for Bush (and there was a large turn out of voters) - but more than they voted against Bush they voted against the ACLU mindset. Ohio voters were more concerned about the road the Democrats seem to be taking which is pro ACLU mindset (I am not inferring that most voters in Ohio thought about the ACLU, but they voted against the Democratic Party because it was taking up the wrong causes that spoke against the culture and aspirations of Middle America).

Look at Daschle, Senate minority leader, a top Democratic Party Senator who lost his seat because he breathes the ACLU mindset and so no longer represented the culture and aspirations of the voters in his state who hate the ACLU mindset. Like it or not, be in denial if you like, but this is a major problem for the Democrats right now; they support the ACLU mindset which is out of tune with the majority of voters in Middle America. The Democratic Party is bleeding voters and will carry on doing so while cares more about things that don’t interest Middle America. Middle America is fed up to the back teeth with the anti-Christmas mind set and will vote against any party that seems to support or pay lip service to the ACLU type mind set. The ACLU is doing great harm to the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party should come out against the ACLU and thereby steal the clothes of the Republican Party. As I see it right now, unless the Democratic Party go back to what is important to middle America and stop blaming the religious far right (which is such a ridiculous pass-the-buck-make-excuses-remain-in-denial-anal-response) the Democrats will keep on losing because it is no longer “It’s the economy stupid�, but “culture wars� and middle-America can’t stand the ACLU mind set and any politician in middle America that pays lip service to the ACLU will face a massive backlash and end up being voted out of office. That’s the truth; deny it if you want to, but it’s how it is, and more over how it will be at the next election. Oh, and talking about “it� will not do, Middle America will spot shallow or contrived “talk�.

There might be a call for an amendment that speaks to marriage being between a male and female. 10 out of 11 states (90.9% of the states who had this issue on voters’ cards at the last election) voted against marriage between two people of the same sex; like it or hate it, this cultural view is held by the vast majority of the people, 10 out of 11 is quite a large majority; so I see this as a possible amendment, but only that, a possibility. I just don't see time being spent on this issue. As each state takes up the issue as sovereign states I feel (like Kerry) that state laws should apply and an amendment that speaks to letting individual states decide this issue, including the right for a state on this issue not to abide by or agree with another state's decision. If the individual state supreme courts refuse to go with this, then I think it will become a federal amenment issue, but not in the upcoming session of Congress - i.e. not in Bush's second Presidency.

It’s for the Republican Party to lose the next election. Imho if the ex-NYC mayor runs the Republicans will be in trouble. If the egocentric out of tune Governor of California manages to get the amendment he is seeking and runs the Republicans will be in trouble. It’s no longer the economy stupid, but culture wars and in the culture wars the majority will vote against the party that sounds or feels like a branch of the ACLU. Hate it as much as you like, but it’s a case of “Ain't that the truth.�

Don't get me wrong, support the ACLU, as you say you support the ACLU, but please don't insult my intelligence that you support the ACLU because the religious far right are such a bogey man, please spare me that excuse. You just support the ACLU and would support the ACLU mindset even if there was no religious far right. You are an ACLU guy regardless. You would rather be an ACLU guy than help the Democratic Party bring in a universal health care system that brings back dignity to ordinary Americans who can't afford decent health care. I want the Democratic Party to move away from the ACLU mindset and focus on getting results, but it can only get results IF IT WINS AN ELECTION. Sorry, but those like you who support the ACLU and claim to be Democrats are not doing the Democratic Party any favors whatsoever. The way the ACLU are going at it now and the way many "democrats" speak about 52% being stupid and take up ACLU causes the more the Democratic Party needs to free itself of these parasites who rather speak about lofty goals while wrecking any chance of the Democratic Party actually coming up with results -> a universal health care system. The ACLU are not going to deliver a universal health care system, blathering on about ACLU causes will not bring a universal health care system, why don't you wake up to that? The ACLU is killing the Democratic Party's chances of winning the next election. Everytime the ACLU grab the headlines the more harm they do to the Democratic Party cause, the DP must wake up and ditch the ACLU and in so doing so purge themselves of the ACLU supporters. Results matter, and a universal health care system is sorely needed and is needed in our lifetime. Destroying Christmas instead of getting a universal health care system seems pretty dumb thing to me.

Last edited by fatbrit; Dec 28th 2004 at 11:07 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 11:09 pm
Franklin

Hell…we’ve been a busy boy today! 1800 words, no less! After 3 <Ctrl J>’s I even managed to read it all! If I may say so, breaking it into a few extra paragraphs might also have helped the reader.

As you quote my post, I would assume you are referring to me. You make some strange assumptions. Please allow me to correct them. You seem to imply that I support the Democrats and ACLU, and also wish to deprive the US of the fine benefit of a social healthcare system. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I am strictly independent and have always voted for who I thought would best do the job. My politics tend to lean right on fiscal matters and left on almost everything else. Personally, I would vote for any hope of breaking the Republican/Democrat stranglehold on the country. Realistically, I will vote for the bastard that pissed me off least.

I do not support the ACLU; I merely respect them for their stance. They, together with the UN and France, are the whipping posts for the hatred of the right. So be it. If it wasn’t the ACLU it would be someone else as Fox News and “fascist radio� needs to talk about something between sensational, sex-related murder trials. Leave them alone! I think the world is far better with them than without them.

On the healthcare front, I wholly support a socialized healthcare system. The present US system sucks. The best model at the moment seems to be the Spanish one. See my posts elsewhere in BE for further confirmation of this.

IMHO, the economy sucks! And the outlook isn’t much better. I don’t think I could ever bring myself to vote for such a vile turd as Bush and his cronies, but at least if he’d done something good with the economy I might have been able to overlook the fact he is a born-again, alcoholic, total failure who’s only there because daddy put a silver spoon in his mouth. Sorry, but I cannot see one saving grace for the first 4 years of this administration. And much as I don’t like to get depressed, there ain’t much hope for the next 4, either!
I cut it down ...

I hope you realize that the ACLU are destroying the Democratic Party's chances of winning an election in the foreseeable future - I am not speaking about the Presidency, but Congress and the Senate. Congress has spending power and the power to make federal law. Without spending power and law making power in the hands of the DP there is no chance of a universal health care system, none whatsover. And FYI: the word "socialist" will, if expoused by the DP or become associated with the DP, render the DP further unelectable. Is that what you really want? I don't think so. It is time for DP supporters to get savvy and look for results. Results can only come if the DP controls Congress and the Presidency. Senate too would help, but Congress has the spending power, not the President and not the Senate. Please get real. I hope DP supporters and the DP leadership finally gets real and wakes up to what Middle America wants: results that count, not support of the ACLU and its wayward over the top efforts to destroy Middle America traditions like Christmas.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Dec 28th 2004 at 11:11 pm.

Old Dec 28th 2004, 11:13 pm
Franklin

Don't you hate it when people cut their posts after you've replied!

Here was PA's original post to which I replied...
I cut it before reading your response, it was too long.

Old Dec 28th 2004, 11:40 pm
Septicity

I hope you realize that the ACLU are destroying the Democratic Party's chances of winning an election in the foreseeable future - I am not speaking about the Presidency, but Congress and the Senate. Congress has spending power and the power to make federal law. Without spending power and law making power in the hands of the DP there is no chance of a universal health care system, none whatsover.
I don’t believe the ACLU are destroying the DP’s chances. The only people who seem to be aligning the two together are the spin doctors on the right. Sure, they share some of the same aims, but then so did Hitler and Gandhi! The more the DP tries to disassociate itself from the ACLU, the more the right will try to push them together in their supporters’ minds. Don’t forget that many of the 52% believed that Saddam was directly responsible for 9/11 and that WMD have already been found in Iraq. The only thing the 52% will understand is no money in their pocket and burying their dead children. And even then, they’ll no doubt blame it on the other side!

And FYI: the word "socialist" will, if expoused by the DP or become associated with the DP, render the DP further unelectable. Is that what you really want? I don't think so. It is time for DP supporters to get savvy and look for results. Results can only come if the DP controls Congress and the Presidency. Senate too would help, but Congress has the spending power, not the President and not the Senate. Please get real. I hope DP supporters and the DP leadership finally gets real and wakes up to what Middle America wants: results that count, not support of the ACLU and its wayward over the top efforts to destroy Middle America traditions like Christmas.
I love the word “socialist� (and “liberal�) as much as you love the word Xmas. However, I believe the word is currently “progressive�

Don’t think 48% is really that unelectable! It was a close election. We’re not talking a Thatcher win of the eighties or a Blair win of the nineties here. The inequalities come from the first-past-the-post system.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:00 am
Septicity

I cut it before reading your response, it was too long.
I'm sure it wasn't deliberate! However, as my post makes even less sense without it, I have taken the liberty of reposting it for the benefit of bored insomniacs.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:08 am
Franklin

I don’t believe the ACLU are destroying the DP’s chances. The only people who seem to be aligning the two together are the spin doctors on the right. Sure, they share some of the same aims, but then so did Hitler and Gandhi! The more the DP tries to disassociate itself from the ACLU, the more the right will try to push them together in their supporters’ minds. Don’t forget that many of the 52% believed that Saddam was directly responsible for 9/11 and that WMD have already been found in Iraq. The only thing the 52% will understand is no money in their pocket and burying their dead children. And even then, they’ll no doubt blame it on the other side!

I love the word “socialist� (and “liberal�) as much as you love the word Xmas. However, I believe the word is currently “progressive�

Don’t think 48% is really that unelectable! It was a close election. We’re not talking a Thatcher win of the eighties or a Blair win of the nineties here. The inequalities come from the first-past-the-post system.
As I thought, you are in denial. Look, the red states have a higher birth rate than the blue states - they are going to have more red voters - got it? The DP can't win the Presidency unless they get some of the red states. If California goes for a proportional electoral vote system the DP is dead in the water unless it captures the initiative in Middle America. Harping on about ACLU causes and attacking traditions like Christmas is not going to win back votes in the red states. But you won’t really listen to that pragmatism cause you are in denial.

It’s not a 52%-48% issue. Time moves on, a concept you seem to be having difficulty with. The next election is going to be much harder for the DP; the DP needs to win more seats in Congress - got that yet? The DP needs to be back in power, the ACLU is not helping the DP cause. The more you and other "democrats" like you call the 52% who voted for Bush idiots (a lame excuse for not winning the Congress, Senate or the Presidency) the less electable the DP becomes, but you don't get it 'cause you are in denial. We need pragmatists who seek results and to do that we DP back in power in Congress and the Senate. While the DP could win the Presidency without Congress in DP’s hands there will be no universal health care system - got that yet? We need DP Congressmen/women to win back seats in the red states. Why? BECAUSE CONGRESS HAS SPENDING POWER (not the President) and without Congress in the bag there is NO CHANCE of getting a universal health care system, something this country BADLY needs. Why don’t you read the U.S. Constitution and get to the nuts and bolts of how this country is governed instead of re-mouthing “first past the post� red herring, BS diatribes. We don’t need that; we need the DP in control of Congress. Do I sound angry - you bet. We let Bush win because of the ACLU stupid mindset, we rather believe in BS anti-American tradition pipe dreams and destroy Christmas than win Congress, the Senate, and the Presidency. Meanwhile the DP is still stuffed to the gills with those that speak to 52% of Americans being stupid and blaming it all on the religious far right - yeah right, stay in denial and we will remain unelectable and fail to win back the Congress et al.

On reflection we are moving from the goals of the pet peeves thread ... the OP (me) wanted to discuss pet peeves ... in good humor of course ... and now we are in bad humor ... lets move this to PMs.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Dec 29th 2004 at 12:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.