Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Dec 21st 2004, 4:26 pm
Senor Member ( no typo)

expat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really nice
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Come on ... got to have a few.

I have loads, biggest one is the lack of roundabouts. The number of times I have come off at a wrong exit and driven miles before I could get back on course. How I miss them, roundabouts I mean! God how I miss them!

It's no funny matter either. On one occasion the map told me to get off at exit "#7" (I think it was #7, but my mind has removed most of my memory because of the trauma of it all!) ... but there was exit 7A, 7B, 7C ... you get the picture. I took the wrong exit and boy did I get payback. I was driving a truck full of furniture from Chicago to my "new" apartment near DC. I ended up on what I can only describe as an unwanted journey into rural USA ... exit road turned into a narrow country lane and I started to panic. The truck was very big and the roof was getting an undeserved thrashing from low cut trees and tree branches ... but there was a ditch running parallel to the narrow road and I couldn't risk a 3 point turn ... finally I drove onto someone's long drive and finally managed a 3 point turn (more like a 10 point the truck was so big and awkward). Boy was that a terrible panic/mess.

Roundabouts ... Give me roundabouts or give me death! Mutated from Patrick Henry's "Give me liberty or give me death!"
if it's roundabouts you need come on over to Spain masses o' the bleedin' things....and don't forget the rules concerning them either .

As you appraoch the roundabout...close both eyes cross yourself...and go for it ! Ok ?
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 4:57 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Holiday gear/stuff for you to wear/own/display.

i.e. how Americans like to buy things to wear or use for specific holiday.

e.g. Easter themed china, clothing, decorations, yard stuff.

NC Penguin
Yeah, my missus does this. When she worked at Walgreens she used to always wear themed headgear, like bunny ears at Easter, reindeer antlers at Christmas, a fake head wound on Martin Luther King Day (OK, I made that last one up) etc.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 5:45 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nxylas
Yeah, my missus does this. When she worked at Walgreens she used to always wear themed headgear, like bunny ears at Easter, reindeer antlers at Christmas, a fake head wound on Martin Luther King Day (OK, I made that last one up) etc.
I should 'fess up that I'm wearing a Christmas scene sweater today. It features four penguins though. I didn't buy it either. It was the final present from my Secret Santa at work. I could hardly hand it back to her, could I?
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 6:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I... I could hardly hand it back to her, could I?
You could...would be a bit rude and entertaining though
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

My pet peeves:

1)4 way junctions, if ever there was an ill conceived idea these are a shining example. I do like the turn on red but I f**kin' hate that when the light turns green people are allowed to cross as well (on your right). I also hate the junctions without lights, those stop signs are a pain in the arse especially here in SF, there's one every 15 metres!

2)The word is Herbs not 'erbs!

3)Bread, it's all shite.

4)Chocolate, ditto.

5)It's Happy Christmas, not Happy Holidays...why is everyone so scared to say Christmas?

6)Health insurance, now this really pisses me off. If I take a PPO I pay more a month but I then owe 20% of the final bills (which never stop coming), but if I take an HMO I pay much less and have a much smaller co-pay....what's not right here?

7)Two weeks holiday a year, disgusting.

8)The supermarkets...mmm crappy 1980's Presto springs to mind.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 11:02 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Having an angry day there, immunise?

Actually, my least favorite junctions are the ones with the flashing reds. You never know what the other street has - flashing red, flashing orange, or green.

The three-second-warning in interstate signage is always a right hoot too. But I do appreciate that they number exits after mileposts - makes a big difference out here in the west. And fortunately it has been a long time since I've lived anywhere enamored of left-hand exits.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

The "rebates" here when you buy an item in a store. It is never or rarely given to you over the counter and you have to collect so much paperwork and jump through so many hoops to get it and have to wait much longer than it says to get it if ever. Just give us the money up front, or have it off the price before it is sold.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 1:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
The "rebates" here when you buy an item in a store. It is never or rarely given to you over the counter and you have to collect so much paperwork and jump through so many hoops to get it and have to wait much longer than it says to get it if ever. Just give us the money up front, or have it off the price before it is sold.
aye, that really gets my goat to, but they make so much money from the scam because people don't send in the right bits and bobs so they don't have to pay out, well annoying.
Old Dec 24th 2004, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, that really gets my goat to, but they make so much money from the scam because people don't send in the right bits and bobs so they don't have to pay out, well annoying.
You just reminded me, T-Mobile never sent me my bloody $100 rebate yet!!!
Old Dec 24th 2004, 4:20 pm
Senor Member ( no typo)

expat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really niceexpat01 is just really nice

Originally Posted by immunise
My pet peeves:

1)4 way junctions, if ever there was an ill conceived idea these are a shining example. I do like the turn on red but I f**kin' hate that when the light turns green people are allowed to cross as well (on your right). I also hate the junctions without lights, those stop signs are a pain in the arse especially here in SF, there's one every 15 metres!

2)The word is Herbs not 'erbs!

3)Bread, it's all shite.

4)Chocolate, ditto.

5)It's Happy Christmas, not Happy Holidays...why is everyone so scared to say Christmas?

6)Health insurance, now this really pisses me off. If I take a PPO I pay more a month but I then owe 20% of the final bills (which never stop coming), but if I take an HMO I pay much less and have a much smaller co-pay....what's not right here?

8)The supermarkets...mmm crappy 1980's Presto springs to mind.

As for the bread thing, I gotta bread maker that way I get the bread I want and like and not the store bought kaka !
Old Dec 24th 2004, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, street lights in highways are pretty rare esp. smaller cities e.g durham
Old Dec 26th 2004, 12:43 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

My pet peeves:

I get 37 days a year vacation so not too bad for the US, it's MERRY CHRISTMAS (and a Happy New Year)...people say it here and 25% of the local population is Jewish....but I note, the FT had a header stating that it would not be issuing on December 25th and "Happy Holidays" so the UK is not immune.

You are restricted with a HMO as to your care providers, you must designate and cannot directly self refer but must use your designated gatekeeper. With a PPO you have much more flexibility imho.
Old Dec 26th 2004, 1:43 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see you back Lairdside!
Old Dec 26th 2004, 1:45 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ray
Nice to see you back Lairdside!
Good to be here - came to wish everyone Merry Christmas but the place is deserted
Old Dec 26th 2004, 5:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lairdside
Good to be here - came to wish everyone Merry Christmas but the place is deserted
Merry Christmas, V, and Happy New Year!
Glad to see you drop in every now and again-- warm wishes your way
mo & DAH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.