Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet insurance - California

Pet insurance - California

Old Feb 17th 2020, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pet insurance - California

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a pet insurance company to cover a 5 year old dog with no pre existing medical conditions (rough collie). Also, does anyone have or deem it necessary to have insurance to cover against being sued should our dog get into a scrap with another dog and cause minor injury. He's not a viscous dog at all but will stand his ground if need be,

Thanks in advance

Mic
Old Feb 17th 2020, 1:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet insurance - California

Liability coverage is typically part of your homeowners insurance in the US - and ours has an exclusion for pitbulls. If you are renting for a while you probably need broader liability coverage than just for your dog, but I am not sure if renters insurance typically includes liability coverage.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 1:58 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

our vet is pushing this careplan https://vcahospitals.com/find-a-hospital
I'd rather just put the money aside to pay for regular care though.

https://www.petinsurance.com/ is well known insurance provider

Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:04 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mic1
Hi all,

Also, does anyone have or deem it necessary to have insurance to cover against being sued should our dog get into a scrap with another dog and cause minor injury. He's not a viscous dog at all but will stand his ground if need be,

Thanks in advance

Mic
As Pulaski says, this should be covered by your owners/renters insurance. However, you need to be incredibly careful to always keep him leashed and not let him get into such situations. Beyond being sued, you risk him being impounded or worse if he causes injury to another pet or person.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
As Pulaski says, this should be covered by your owners/renters insurance. However, you need to be incredibly careful to always keep him leashed and not let him get into such situations. Beyond being sued, you risk him being impounded or worse if he causes injury to another pet or person.
Is vet treatment expensive there Nutmegger? I was so glad we had pet insurance for our goldie, he snapped a cruciate ligament a couple of months before we moved to the UK (surgery $6,000) and then did his other one two weeks after we arrived! (£3,500). First was covered by pet insurance, second wasn't. Ouch, for all of us.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Is vet treatment expensive there Nutmegger? I was so glad we had pet insurance for our goldie, he snapped a cruciate ligament a couple of months before we moved to the UK (surgery $6,000) and then did his other one two weeks after we arrived! (£3,500). First was covered by pet insurance, second wasn't. Ouch, for all of us.
Ouch, those surgeries are indeed incredibly expensive! Hope they were both successful. Pet insurance isn't as "everyday" in the US as it apparently is in the UK, and I have never had it. I used to work on the principle that a young dog would have the minimum expense, and it would escalate as the dog aged, thus evening out. However, about 25 years ago I was offered part-time work at my friend's husband's veterinary hospital, which gave me professional courtesy prices on care for the five dogs I had at the time. I am still working for them, and it's the gift that keeps on giving, even though I only have three dogs these days!
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch, those surgeries are indeed incredibly expensive! Hope they were both successful. Pet insurance isn't as "everyday" in the US as it apparently is in the UK, and I have never had it. I used to work on the principle that a young dog would have the minimum expense, and it would escalate as the dog aged, thus evening out. However, about 25 years ago I was offered part-time work at my friend's husband's veterinary hospital, which gave me professional courtesy prices on care for the five dogs I had at the time. I am still working for them, and it's the gift that keeps on giving, even though I only have three dogs these days!
Oh wow, 5 dogs sounds like heaven to me! Come to think of it so does three, especially with mates rates on vet care.

Both surgeries successful thanks, very sadly though we lost him just under two years later to liver cancer so we didn't get to bring him home again.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It appears you are not asking about vet/healthcare insurance for your dog but as Pulaski and Nutmegger advised homeowner insurance against damage/injuries done by your dog to humans, animals and non-human,.

Check the laws in your city, county, state on animal control. Most will not allow you to have your dog roam free but that it must be confined to your property with a lead or a fence. A "Beware of Dog" sign posted perhaps. Walk your dog on a leash. If having guests, confine your dog especially if there are children visiting. Also check if the breed of dog is allowed in your city, county or state.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Liability coverage is typically part of your homeowners insurance in the US - and ours has an exclusion for pitbulls. If you are renting for a while you probably need broader liability coverage than just for your dog, but I am not sure if renters insurance typically includes liability coverage.
Mine with Nationwide did not.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:33 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Rete

It appears you are not asking about vet/healthcare insurance for your dog but as Pulaski and Nutmegger advised homeowner insurance against damage/injuries done by your dog to humans, animals and non-human,.

Check the laws in your city, county, state on animal control. Most will not allow you to have your dog roam free but that it must be confined to your property with a lead or a fence. A "Beware of Dog" sign posted perhaps. Walk your dog on a leash. If having guests, confine your dog especially if there are children visiting. Also check if the breed of dog is allowed in your city, county or state.
Sorry if I took the thread off topic Rete, I thought that as the OP had referred to her dog's age and that there were no pre-existing medical conditions, that they were also talking about healthcare insurance. Lots of differences to here, no type of insurance at all for injuries caused by your pets.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Beyond being sued, you risk him being impounded or worse if he causes injury to another pet or person.
There are two branches to the "or worse" possibility - if your dog is aggressive either the police, victim, or third party, might shoot it, or if your dog is running free anywhere where hunting is allowed, which may include state parks as well as private land, it could be accidentally targeted as a game animal. Blaze orange/ "hi-vis" vests for dogs are recommended to reduce the risk of a dog being accidentally targeted. ... hunters wear blaze orange hats and/ or clothing for the same reason.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 3:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are two branches to the "or worse" possibility - if your dog is aggressive either the police, victim, or third party, might shoot it, or if your dog is running free anywhere where hunting is allowed, which may include state parks as well as private land, it could be accidentally targeted as a game animal. Blaze orange/ "hi-vis" vests for dogs are recommended to reduce the risk of a dog being accidentally targeted. ... hunters wear blaze orange hats and/ or clothing for the same reason.
And the third is being impounded and euthanized as a public safety risk.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 4:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Rete

Sorry if I took the thread off topic Rete, I thought that as the OP had referred to her dog's age and that there were no pre-existing medical conditions, that they were also talking about healthcare insurance. Lots of differences to here, no type of insurance at all for injuries caused by your pets.
Actually, I think the OP was asking about both pet health insurance and pet liability insurance, so everyone is on point!
Old Feb 17th 2020, 4:03 pm
Concierge

NP. Healthcare insurance for pets is a big thing as it is so expensive if your pet requires more than routine yearly exams and vaccinations.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We use Trupanion, they offer coverage in both the US and Canada, and we have never had a major claim, but the times we have had to call them for something they have been top notch service. Only covers non-routine heath-care, vaccines are not covered for example, never did find a plan that covered such, but vaccines are minimal cost and are no longer annual at least where I am so brings down the cost.

Our vet can also direct bill them which is a plus.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 17th 2020 at 5:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.