Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet insurance - California

Pet insurance - California

Old Feb 17th 2020, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet insurance - California

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Liability coverage is typically part of your homeowners insurance in the US - and ours has an exclusion for pitbulls. If you are renting for a while you probably need broader liability coverage than just for your dog, but I am not sure if renters insurance typically includes liability coverage.
Renters typically offers offers liability for damage to the rental, and protections for accidents that occur within the rental, not sure if one would be covered it dog bits someone outside the rental property though, rental insurance isn't as comprehensive generally as homeowners insurance is.

Our dogs breed is on the not covered list for our policy (we live in a high risk area and most insurers wont even cover this building/area so we have very limited options) and she is only a 10 pound breed, so not just pit bulls, sometimes breeds you would never expect are on such lists along with pit bulls.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Renters typically offers offers liability for damage to the rental, and protections for accidents that occur within the rental, not sure if one would be covered it dog bits someone outside the rental property though, rental insurance isn't as comprehensive generally as homeowners insurance is.

Our dogs breed is on the not covered list for our policy (we live in a high risk area and most insurers wont even cover this building/area so we have very limited options) and she is only a 10 pound breed, so not just pit bulls, sometimes breeds you would never expect are on such lists along with pit bulls.
One solution would be to add Umbrella Insurance to a renter policy.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
One solution would be to add Umbrella Insurance to a renter policy.
Given that renters insurance (in the US) is dirt cheap, I suspect that you won't be able to add umbrella coverage (for general liability outside of your rental unit), as that is only available as a (dirt cheap) add-on to other coverage (typically home owners insurance).
Old Feb 17th 2020, 6:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
..... Lots of differences to here [Australia], no type of insurance at all for injuries caused by your pets.
Actually pet/dog liability insurance is offered in Australia (read all the way to the end).

Maybe if Google is ever made available in Australia, you will have access to this amount of information?
Old Feb 17th 2020, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Given that renters insurance (in the US) is dirt cheap, I suspect that you won't be able to add umbrella coverage (for general liability outside of your rental unit), as that is only available as a (dirt cheap) add-on to other coverage (typically home owners insurance).
That's what I thought, but it seems that it is available (including for dog bites!) although I do not know the cost. https://www.trustedchoice.com/umbrel...faq/#faqitem_0
Old Feb 17th 2020, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty cheap here, if you live in a low risk area/building can be as little as $19/month, we pay just under $40 a month as we are high risk area/building, and we added on earthquake coverage since we are in a at risk area for earthquakes and the general policy doesn't provide coverage for damage/loss due to earthquakes, need the add on. $1 million liability. Regular deductible is $2,500 with $30k in contents coverage, earthquake deductible is 15% of the total claim amount. No coverage in the event of a tsunami or seawater flooding, which is the only real risk for flooding, not ground floor, and not near a river or stream, so no flood coverage, the risk is too low in my view to have it, although we do have coverage for flooding inside the unit caused by sewage back up.

Never looked into umbrella coverage but I would suspect if it were available as an add on, the insurance companies would offer it at time of buying with other add on's they offer and they never do.

Old Feb 18th 2020, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the useful info, it does seem that where we're heading, its dogs on leads (or leashes!) absolutely everywhere in public other than a handful of fenced off dog parks. Also, i thought the rules around the beach was extremely fair towards dog owners, the only time dogs aren't permitted on the beach was between 9am and 6pm, June 15th to September 10th. I was talking to one very interesting dog owner, he was saying that before we even take our dog out on its very first walk, especially on open land, he said programme in all the surround vet practices that hold stock of snake anti venom. He told a few stories of dogs poking noses into the brush and getting bitten, then he said the clock is ticking and if you want to save your dog and the last thing you want to be doing is looking on the internet for local vets. Not something i would ever think about in Surrey but sensible advice i think.

Old Feb 18th 2020, 1:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Actually, I think the OP was asking about both pet health insurance and pet liability insurance, so everyone is on point!
Originally Posted by Rete
NP. Healthcare insurance for pets is a big thing as it is so expensive if your pet requires more than routine yearly exams and vaccinations.
Thanks girls

Old Feb 18th 2020, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Actually, I think the OP was asking about both pet health insurance and pet liability insurance, so everyone is on point!
As you say, everyone has been on point. Thanks again