Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet insurance

Pet insurance

Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet insurance

ok, Petplan said that from the age of 5 years upwards cats price increases 5-20% depending on increases in vet bils due to animals aging health.

Im not too fussed about this because Gins always been a relatively healthy cat so hopefully there wont be much of an increase.

Atm, the price quoted was $15.29 per kitty, with a $29.22 down payment which covers and the first and last month, the 10 months inbetween would be at the $15.29 price.

Make sure you get a quote online to get your 5% discount, and then over the phone they should still give you that discount once they bring up your quote on their computer.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:52 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
ok, Petplan said that from the age of 5 years upwards cats price increases 5-20% depending on increases in vet bils due to animals aging health.
Yep, I got a similar reply. She also said that once they pass 15 the age related increases stop and the only increase would be general inflation.

Better, she also confirmed that if we move state, no matter what age she is, while they will have to issue a new policy it will still count as continuous coverage, protecting her cover for any chronic conditions etc.

Other info:

1. The 30% co-pay for referrals is already 20% in some states and will, most likely, be 20% across the board within the month.

2. The language in the policy about them paying "reasonable fees", as per the American Animal Hospital Association Veterinary Fee Reference Guide is apparently just to protect them against an unscrupulous vet hiking the charges upon finding out about the insurance. She says they've never had to use it in the USA, but it's a very common practice in the UK!

So I'm convinced. I'll be signing her up today.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:16 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Yep, I got a similar reply. She also said that once they pass 15 the age related increases stop and the only increase would be general inflation.

Better, she also confirmed that if we move state, no matter what age she is, while they will have to issue a new policy it will still count as continuous coverage, protecting her cover for any chronic conditions etc.

Other info:

1. The 30% co-pay for referrals is already 20% in some states and will, most likely, be 20% across the board within the month.

2. The language in the policy about them paying "reasonable fees", as per the American Animal Hospital Association Veterinary Fee Reference Guide is apparently just to protect them against an unscrupulous vet hiking the charges upon finding out about the insurance. She says they've never had to use it in the USA, but it's a very common practice in the UK!

So I'm convinced. I'll be signing her up today.
I rest my case
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

on the phone they said our cats have to have a full "Wellness" health check with a vet within 30 days of getting the pet insurance or before we get it, because they need to know there is no pre-existing conditions, and will need a copy of the health check for each kitty.

This doesnt bother me too much, the kitties are all in fine health. but i'll be getting the health check before i take out the insurance so i dont get caught up in the 30 day thing incase we go over that time whilst planning for the baby and my checkups.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
This doesnt bother me too much, the kitties are all in fine health. but i'll be getting the health check before i take out the insurance so i dont get caught up in the 30 day thing incase we go over that time whilst planning for the baby and my checkups.
I would do the opposite - but I can see why you might not be able to, with the baby and all.

Day 1. Take out policy.
Day 2. Policy effective start date.
Day 3. Accident/Injury cover begins.
Day 16. Illness cover begins.
Day 17. Get complete check up.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:16 pm
Banned

begmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nicebegmohsin is just really nice

I'd be grateful for a little help, please.

It's been a long time since we had a kitten who was eligible for insurance, and never in the US.

What can y'all tell me about insurance plans. I'm fixin' to take Velvet, the new kitten, to the vet's for a complete blood work up, etc, but I suspect it might be best to get her insured first. Just in case anything shows up.

She has a clean bill of health from the SPCA, so no pre-existings that I know of.

Thanks.
If the kitten regulary works out in the gym it might increase the insurance premiums. Also you need to find out if the kitten drives around or not that could be a factor which increases your premium.

top kat
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Juswus
I hadn't seen that either! Congrats
Thanks .

Since all the above, we've taken out Petplan for Velvet and she's settled in nicely. However...

I was driving home from a job interview Tuesday, when the phone rang. It was the FiL and could I stop in on my way past?

Turns out that a feral cat had a litter near his work, late November. The cold weather apparently was too much for them, apart from one little girl that he rescued, hid in the machine shop and fed on hamburger.

So, as I type this, Esmerelda is sleeping on my lap. She's 6 weeks old and, if the vet's calculations are correct, probably has the same birthday as velvet.

Here's a picture of her killing her sister's toy and one of Velvet, on the sofa in my study where she sits to watch me work.
Attached Thumbnails Pet insurance-velvet-sofa1.jpg   Pet insurance-esmerelda-feather-1.jpg  
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:24 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks .

Since all the above, we've taken out Petplan for Velvet and she's settled in nicely. However...

I was driving home from a job interview Tuesday, when the phone rang. It was the FiL and could I stop in on my way past?

Turns out that a feral cat had a litter near his work, late November. The cold weather apparently was too much for them, apart from one little girl that he rescued, hid in the machine shop and fed on hamburger.

So, as I type this, Esmerelda is sleeping on my lap. She's 6 weeks old and, if the vet's calculations are correct, probably has the same birthday as velvet.

Here's a picture of her killing her sister's toy and one of Velvet, on the sofa in my study where she sits to watch me work.

OMG!! What a sad tale, with a happy ending, for an adorable little kitty, welcome Esmerelda
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

lol me and you just fall into resucing cats in distress!

congratulations on your new family member, shes a cute little thing
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:23 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks .

she couldn't have had better luck than finding you
Old Jan 9th 2010, 3:20 am

Thanks Ladies.

Here they are, having a nap.
Attached Thumbnails Pet insurance-velvet-esme-1a.jpg  
Old Jan 9th 2010, 8:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ladies.

Here they are, having a nap.
Tough life, eh?
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really nice

I'm proposing to take my dog along when we relocate to Charleston, SC in a month or so.

She currently has pet insurance (in UK) at about £7 per month which covers her for the usual vet stuff, but also covers us if she runs out into the road, causes a multiple pile-up, killing dozens of people and costing £millions in legal/insurance/medical bills. I've had a quick look at pet insurance in USA, but there seems to be no mention of this kind of disaster cover.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hellopaul
I'm proposing to take my dog along when we relocate to Charleston, SC in a month or so.

She currently has pet insurance (in UK) at about £7 per month which covers her for the usual vet stuff, but also covers us if she runs out into the road, causes a multiple pile-up, killing dozens of people and costing £millions in legal/insurance/medical bills. I've had a quick look at pet insurance in USA, but there seems to be no mention of this kind of disaster cover.

Any thoughts?
You might find that this is part of your homeowner's policy. Alternatively, you could probable get additional cover for it, for a small amount.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really nice

You might find that this is part of your homeowner's policy. Alternatively, you could probable get additional cover for it, for a small amount.
I'll need to investigate further...and what's with the Greek sea walls I'm receiving from your signature?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.