Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Personal Trainer coming to Tampa area from scotland..

Wikiposts

Personal Trainer coming to Tampa area from scotland..

Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:52 am
Just Joined

ironsmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Personal Trainer coming to Tampa area from scotland..

Hi Folks,

New on here so hope everyone is well.. First of all I just just read the thread below in relation to 9/11. So sad and my heart goes out to anyone affected.
My story is that Im currently going through the k1 process. Im at Noa1 stage and constantly checking both visa journey and USCIS (youve all been there right) Anyway its starting to dawn on me that im actually making this move and its a flippin scary thought.. starting from scratch!! My fiance rachel is a professional dancer currently working on the "dance to the music" show at busch gardens.. Im in the fitness profession.. Personal trainer/group instructor/presenter/course tutor/kids football coach..
What Im thinking is I really dont want to work full time in a gym.. part time would be cool and teach the odd class so I have guaranteed income.. However Im told the real way to make money is going self employed.. I know its a long shot but does anyone know anyone I can contact or been through this experience and willing to share? What is the demand like for PT's over there.. will my mad accent help out;0)? Is there a doctor referral scheme in the states for PT's? Finally I also go around schools over here doing talks and taking fitness classes as part of "health weeks". Do schools in tampa have budgets for such things or do they work purely in house..
Any info would be greatly appreciated.. I know I cant work for a bit after I arrive but Id really like to use this time to make as many contacts and prepare myself best I can..

Cheers.

Ally.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal Trainer coming to Tampa area from scotland..

hi!

We have an excellent Marriage Based Visas forum here too.

Personal training is very popular where I live, but I'm in the opposite corner of the country from you. I'd recommend some targeted googling; I don't know how many of our Tampa members are familiar with PT.

I'm sure Ray will know and chime in about his regime though!
Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:35 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironsmurf
Hi Folks,

New on here so hope everyone is well.. First of all I just just read the thread below in relation to 9/11. So sad and my heart goes out to anyone affected.
My story is that Im currently going through the k1 process. Im at Noa1 stage and constantly checking both visa journey and USCIS (youve all been there right) Anyway its starting to dawn on me that im actually making this move and its a flippin scary thought.. starting from scratch!! My fiance rachel is a professional dancer currently working on the "dance to the music" show at busch gardens.. Im in the fitness profession.. Personal trainer/group instructor/presenter/course tutor/kids football coach..
What Im thinking is I really dont want to work full time in a gym.. part time would be cool and teach the odd class so I have guaranteed income.. However Im told the real way to make money is going self employed.. I know its a long shot but does anyone know anyone I can contact or been through this experience and willing to share? What is the demand like for PT's over there.. will my mad accent help out;0)? Is there a doctor referral scheme in the states for PT's? Finally I also go around schools over here doing talks and taking fitness classes as part of "health weeks". Do schools in tampa have budgets for such things or do they work purely in house..
Any info would be greatly appreciated.. I know I cant work for a bit after I arrive but Id really like to use this time to make as many contacts and prepare myself best I can..

Cheers.

Ally.
If you don't already have NSCA and ACSM certifications, I'd get them ASAP, as the industry is certification-obesessed over here (and the training you got in the UK may not match some of the stuff they do here, especially regarding exercise testing). I'm gobsmacked that our sport science students don't even know how to calculate a %HRR, run a two-stage cycle test, or know what Bruce and Balke are ...
Old Sep 12th 2010, 3:36 am
Just Joined

got that one covered.. I made sure I did the NASM over here to get me started..
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:53 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm sure Ray will know and chime in about his regime though!
2 things you learn in Florida .. how to clean you AK47 and avoid exercise ..
it will kill you in this humidity
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:05 am
Just Joined

ha.. on the contrary I love the humidity for training.. I did half the training I do here when I was in Tampa for the whole of may.. I ate like a horse yet lost 14lbs..
As for the AK47.. never held a gun.. never will..
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:09 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

ha.. on the contrary I love the humidity for training.. I did half the training I do here when I was in Tampa for the whole of may.. I ate like a horse yet lost 14lbs..
you are young.. the average age in Florida is high
be careful then
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:12 am
Just Joined

Ray.. If I am ever accosted in humid conditions by a pensioner wielding an AK47 you'll be the first person I call for help!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:20 am
Ray

Ray.. If I am ever accosted in humid conditions by a pensioner wielding an AK47 you'll be the first person I call for help!
LOL ... Dont bother ... it probably will be me .....
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, that's what you say now.....have you not seen this thread? : http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683324

According that that, all of Florida is a crime ridden hole, apparently. But I wouldn't recommend an AK47....that is just Ray being cheap, much better choices out there!

Welcome to the board....Good luck with the move over here!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
LOL ... Dont bother ... it probably will be me .....
That was no fair.. you didn't leave it long enough for one of us to come up with that line...
Walked straight into it.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was offered a Chines SKS for 300 bucks, seemed a nice bit of equipment.

All the Personal trainers I have come across are self employed. You deal directly with them, I presume the Gym gets a cut.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

All the Personal trainers I have come across are self employed. You deal directly with them, I presume the Gym gets a cut.
If you read this post with a dirty mind, that could sound oh so wrong
Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
If you read this post with a dirty mind, that could sound oh so wrong
Just as well we have nobody on this site who could possibly think that way.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:08 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Boiler
I was offered a Chines SKS for 300 bucks, seemed a nice bit of equipment.

about the right price ...
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Sea...x?Keywords=sks