Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Personal Property Insurance

Personal Property Insurance

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

CEO DMF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Personal Property Insurance

Wondered if anybody can recommend any good insurance companies for personal property insurance?

My husband and I move around a lot over here with his job and we always stay in an apartment with rented furniture, so it is just for clothes, electrical equipment and jewellry.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 6:30 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal Property Insurance

Originally Posted by CEO DMF
Wondered if anybody can recommend any good insurance companies for personal property insurance?

My husband and I move around a lot over here with his job and we always stay in an apartment with rented furniture, so it is just for clothes, electrical equipment and jewellry.

get a renters policy through any major Insurer within the USA (Allstate, State Farm, Home Owners, Farmers)
especially one that the policy can be transfered from state to state when you move.

This is more important should you accidentaly burn the place down that you have enough liability in place should you be sued for the repairs.

Jewellery is an endorsed item, and should be placed on its own Personal Articles policy.

For example, If your house burns down and you file a claim that you had 20 10krt diamond rings, it just won't fly. If you have a lot of nice, expensive jewellery then a personal articles is what you need, as well as the renters policy.

Last edited by Manc; Sep 22nd 2004 at 6:49 pm. Reason: to add the bit about jewellery
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 7:12 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CEO DMF

Just wondering. If your husband's job involves a lot of moving about, is there some kind of insurance cover for your possessions in travel insurance he might be covered under by the employer?

NC Penguin
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 7:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Just wondering. If your husband's job involves a lot of moving about, is there some kind of insurance cover for your possessions in travel insurance he might be covered under by the employer?

NC Penguin
what are you basing this opinion on?
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:16 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
what are you basing this opinion on?
I believe that my spouse's employer's travel insurance may cover personal possessions. I'm basing this on the many consultants I used to work with at this company.

Perhaps other employers in the US offer similar cover. It doesn't hurt to ask.

NC Penguin
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:18 pm
@matthewb76

I believe that my spouse's employer's travel insurance may cover personal possessions. I'm basing this on the many consultants I used to work with at this company.

Perhaps other employers in the US offer similar cover. It doesn't hurt to ask.

NC Penguin
I would argue that it should be covered by an inland marine policy whilst in transit due to the company relocating them all the time (at company expense), however once at point B, this coverage would stop. and a regular Homeowners/Renters policy would come into force. As the employer who is insuring the stuff, has at that point no insurable interest in the personal property.

Last edited by Manc; Sep 22nd 2004 at 8:23 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

CEO DMF is an unknown quantity at this point

NC Penguin

We've looked into that and as we settle for about 6 months in each place doesn't seem to work. We aren't "travelling". Think you can only be in a place for 90 days and you have to have a permanant address somewhere where the insured are travelling from - we don't!! We are homeless vagabonds.

We will get the renters insurance, called up a couple of the nationals and they said we can easily move it from State to State and I really do wanna be insured in this land of the free and litagous!!

Thanks for help.