British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Personal experiences of immigrating (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/personal-experiences-immigrating-315492/)

Laska Jul 22nd 2005 7:20 pm

Personal experiences of immigrating

Hi folks,

I know that immigrating/emigrating is stressful and can be a long and laborious process from what I have researched. I was wondering if anyone would like to write here about their experiences and how long your visa/green card took to come through and what requirements you had to fulfill? Did you hire an attorney and do it while you stayed in America or did you do it while you were in UK?
I always believe in getting personal points of view and the real deal so to speak. It speaks volumes of more valuable information than what you can read on INS sites.

Thanks in advance :)

fatbrit Jul 22nd 2005 7:35 pm

Re: Personal experiences of immigrating

It's very variable depending on the method you use. Which particular visa are you thinking about?

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 22nd 2005 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
This is the situation: I was in Texas in the spring visiting friends and I am now thinking about moving there. The opportunities fit what I am looking for in life and I feel that if I don't try I will regret it. A little bit about me: I am 24/female from Northern Ireland. i graduated last year with a BSC. Honours degree in Zoology and my speciality is canine behaviour.

I have friends in Texas and one is opening up a canine behaviour business and wants to hire me. He says that he can't find anyone else with my skills

Bit of a generalisation, but I think Marriage is the main on here, Work second but predominately IT/Financial Services/Management.

Most people would I think say worry about getting the Visa first, most intendee's faill this hurdle.

rincewind Jul 22nd 2005 8:10 pm

There isn't enough hosting space on this site for me to post mine :D

fatbrit Jul 22nd 2005 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
Bit of a generalisation, but I think Marriage is the main on here, Work second but predominately IT/Financial Services/Management.

Most people would I think say worry about getting the Visa first, most intendee's faill this hurdle.

Agree. Without the visa, it really ain't worth pursuing anything else.

To add to your idea of numbers, I'd also add my guess that many who ended up here never planned it or dreamed it -- it was just part of the weirdness of life's paths. Not much help to the OP, I know!

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 22nd 2005 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
To add to your idea of numbers, I'd also add my guess that many who ended up here never planned it or dreamed it -- it was just part of the weirdness of life's paths. Not much help to the OP, I know!

Good point, me too.

Sarah Jul 22nd 2005 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind
There isn't enough hosting space on this site for me to post mine :D

LOL , ain't that the truth!

All I can say is I WISH I could've afforded a lawyer to do all the crap for me. Oh and when you come into the states for good, the POE experience is probably the most traumatic. It can either be smooth and swift or hell on earth. I came through JFK and experienced the latter.

rincewind Jul 22nd 2005 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
LOL , ain't that the truth!

All I can say is I WISH I could've afforded a lawyer to do all the crap for me. Oh and when you come into the states for good, the POE experience is probably the most traumatic. It can either be smooth and swift or hell on earth. I came through JFK and experienced the latter.

I experienced both. But then I did use the VWP five times :D

ladylisa Jul 22nd 2005 8:29 pm

My husbands company lawyers did all our paperwork, thank god because it was difficult enough just filling out the bits they told us to let alone doing anything else. I personally didnt have any trouble at entry to the US in my case Chicago, god knows why as I also used out my B2 welcome!

Having said that there are many times when I have wondered whether all the hastle was worth it, especially when I couldn't go home this year for my Grandmothers funeral. There are times when your busy jumping through hoops and every ones saying you must be so pleased to get your visa and I could honestly just say shove the bloody visa where the sun doesn't shine. :D

TouristTrap Jul 22nd 2005 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by ladylisa
There are times when your busy jumping through hoops and every ones saying you must be so pleased to get your visa and I could honestly just say shove the bloody visa where the sun doesn't shine. :D

I've known quite a few people who did just that......highly qualified and hard-working folk, who said bugger it and left for countries that were more welcoming to immigrants. Knowing some of them, I say that the US lost out in a big way.

USBound Jul 22nd 2005 10:33 pm

I never planned on coming over here... job market in the UK just turned to crap - after 2 redundancies in 12 months I decided... what the heck... give it a go.

My PERM application is now in progress. :-P

Bob Jul 23rd 2005 12:57 am

It's expensive, the USCIS mis-information line it proper shite....and the whole process takes ages, would think it was a third world country or somin' :D

AdobePinon Jul 23rd 2005 1:58 am

Been through seven (I think :o) visas. Now in the process of deconditioning my green card - wish me luck! Never had a lawyer, but I did pay for a one-time consult to check over my original green card app before I sent it in. Mistakes or missing information on that one can cost a lot of time and money.

Main advice I'd have. Always be aware of ALL your options at least two years into the future at any given point, including all of the visas you may be eligible for, or become eligible for. Read the USCIS instructions to the letter. Don't call them unless you have no other option. Keep a stack of cash in the bank because USCIS loves to take it from you. Don't e-file your US tax returns - you'll need paper copies at some point. Keep a record of all the dates you are outside the US, and where you went. Try to plan your applications for around your visits home - you'll often be stuck here (unable to leave) waiting for some piece of paperwork to get completed. When you have to leave the US without a visa, always be aware of the nearest walk-in US Embassy / Consulate (there are none in the UK that I remember), so that you can get a new visa issued ASAP.

Lynne Jul 23rd 2005 2:23 am

I think for me, frustrating was the whole process. My husband was head hunted by a company here. They first contacted him in September 1993, had a telephone interview and then he came over in October of 1993 for a look round and discuss terms. Once we agreed to the move the company's lawyers started the green card process. In August of 1994 we received notification from the lawyer that we had received labor certification. This was after the DOL placed adverts for the job in all the trade journals nationwide and the CEO of the company had to write to explain why they were bringing someone in from outside the USA. In December of 1994 we received our letter with our appointment at the US embassy in London , that was to take place in January 1995. We quite our jobs in February of 1995 and arrived in the USA on March 22nd.

The amount of paperwork was a minefield and there seemed to be no rhyme nor reason to it. At the same time we were going through our green card process a friend of ours was also going through it. Their paperwork was totally different to ours probably because they were already in the US.

I have to confess that there were times when I couldn 't care less whether we got the GC or not. The hardest part was being in limbo, not being able to make any definite plans.

The company were patient but part of our deal was that we were not going to come unless it was on a green card.

Laska Jul 23rd 2005 9:35 am

Thanks everyone. This gives me much better insight as to the long fight ahead of me, but I'm prepared to do it. I don't have any prospects in Northern Ireland or in the UK in general with regards to my profession, and I'm young and do not want to waste my life in N.Ireland as it will eventually become ruled by terrorists as a united Ireland. Unfortunately marriage based visas are out as I can't marry an American guy.. My boyfriend is Dutch! :D I'm going next week to the consulate to get the B2 visa and to get back to The States and that will give me 90 days. According to INS at DFW I don't really need this but because of my refusal before, I want to be doubly sure that I'm not turned back on the next plane back to the UK. I have to see my attorney in August and he is going to set the wheels in motion for a visa extension or work permit.

It won't be easy. I know that for sure, but hey other people have done it and I'm not a loser or a quitter so I'm going for it!