Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Permission from my daughters father to moveto the US

Permission from my daughters father to moveto the US

Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

PORTBRITDOG is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Permission from my daughters father to moveto the US

First i'd like to say hello to you all, i only just joined.
My daughter(14) and i are planning to move to NC (i'm engaged to a US Citizen), and although we have been working on the fiance visa through a US lawyer, i was told i also needed a letter of permission from my daughters father,who sees her maybe once a year and does not contribute at all, we were never married so there is no legal arrangement as such, i wonder if anyone has needed the same "permission" and if not is there any other way i can get through this without going to court to get it?
Thank you in advance
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

CAProgrammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Permission from my daughters father to moveto the US

Originally Posted by PORTBRITDOG
My daughter(14) and i are planning to move to NC (i'm engaged to a US Citizen), and although we have been working on the fiance visa through a US lawyer, i was told i also needed a letter of permission from my daughters father,who sees her maybe once a year and does not contribute at all, we were never married so there is no legal arrangement as such, i wonder if anyone has needed the same "permission" and if not is there any other way i can get through this without going to court to get it?
Thank you in advance
From the "Documents Required for the Interview" page on the London embassy website:

"Custody Decree: A single parent must present a court decree awarding custody to the applying parent, or a notarized statement from the non-applying parent granting permission for the child(ren) to immigrate to the United States."

You don't need to go to court to get it if the father is willing to give you a notarized statement granting permission. I think the court option is only if the other parent won't give you this notarized statement.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:38 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you in advance
This was the subject of a recent thread. I will make a request that you not shoot the messengers.

This is a matter related to the convention on international child abduction to which both the US and the UK are signatories.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Nov 17th 2011 at 2:42 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

i was told i also needed a letter of permission from my daughters father...
You can't remove your daughter from UK jurisdiction without either written permission of the father or a court order.

Ian
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

She wouldn't need permission if he's not on the birth certificate or have any parental responsiblities.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

His name is on her birth certificate as we were together when she was a baby and i continued to hope there would be a continuous and healthy relationship between them although this hasn't been the case.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can't remove your daughter from UK jurisdiction without either written permission of the father or a court order.

Ian
This is what i will attempt to speak to him about tonight although i was told by him that he won't do anything to help me in general, fingers crossed.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
This was the subject of a recent thread. I will make a request that you not shoot the messengers.

This is a matter related to the convention on international child abduction to which both the US and the UK are signatories.
Thank you Mr. Folinsky, the thread was very helpful , i am just trying to prepare for the worst and hope the better when i speak to him this evening, if i read right it looks like i can get a solicitor to write a notirized letter.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for the feed back, will check in once i've spoken to the father.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 8:56 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the feed back, will check in once i've spoken to the father.
Does Dad entertain any thoughts of immigrating to the US himself seven years down the road? Being nice to daughter might be a good start.

BTW, it is not a matter of being nice to YOU, it is a matter of being nice to his daughter.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Does Dad entertain any thoughts of immigrating to the US himself seven years down the road? Being nice to daughter might be a good start.

BTW, it is not a matter of being nice to YOU, it is a matter of being nice to his daughter.
Couldn't agree with you more Mr.Folinsky, it has been the basis of raising my children, to always look at the their future when making decisions, weather it be about their basic needs to the relationships they may have with family and the rest of Society. I've tried for 14 years to stress this to my daughters father with very little success and following the very short conversation i had with him last night, having again stressed to him the option of holidays spent with her would always be there i pretty much just got a "right, ok,don't have much to say about that" answer. He has been living in France for a number of years, i wonder if that makes any difference either.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Permission from my daughters father to moveto the US

Couldn't agree with you more Mr.Folinsky, it has been the basis of raising my children, to always look at the their future when making decisions, weather it be about their basic needs to the relationships they may have with family and the rest of Society. I've tried for 14 years to stress this to my daughters father with very little success and following the very short conversation i had with him last night, having again stressed to him the option of holidays spent with her would always be there i pretty much just got a "right, ok,don't have much to say about that" answer. He has been living in France for a number of years, i wonder if that makes any difference either.

In your first post you say that your daughter's father "doesn't contribute at all". Tell him that if he doesn't give his permission to allow your daughter to move to the US then you will claim maintenance from him to help pay towards her upkeep (it makes no difference that he is living in France). I'm sure he'll come round if he gets hit in his pocket!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishmum
In your first post you say that your daughter's father "doesn't contribute at all". Tell him that if he doesn't give his permission to allow your daughter to move to the US then you will claim maintenance from him to help pay towards her upkeep (it makes no difference that he is living in France). I'm sure he'll come round if he gets hit in his pocket!
When i was contacting some years ago by the CSA i had some hope until they sent me a letter saying that he was to pay £5 pound a week after they had assessed his financial situation, i was aamazedat this and never even received that for some unknown reason, it seems he knows what he can and get away with, a man that possesses 5 horses, acres of land and provides holiday tours for holiday makers, the sad thing about this is my daughter feeling insignificant in his eyes.
I will have to get a nnotarizedletter from a solicitor and hope he will sign it, if not it looks like it will be court wich will be even more distressing for my daughter even though she says she will tell them how she feels about it all i would like to avoid that for her sake.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Did the lady in this thread find resolution in the end i wonder? Many thanks
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I will have to get a nnotarizedletter from a solicitor and hope he will sign it...
The letter doesn't need to come from a solicitor - you can write it, but perhaps it's a good idea to have a solicitor deliver it and wait while he signs. From where I sit, it'll be well worth the money.

... if not it looks like it will be court...
Get him to sign a letter, if possible... because if he really wants to be a wanker, he can assert his rights in court and it might take years to sort it out.

... she says she will tell them how she feels about it all...
I can't remember what the age is (16? 18?) but at some point she can make the decision for herself... at which point, her father's input is no longer required.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.