Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

permanent resident Question

permanent resident Question

Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

ycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really nice
Default permanent resident Question

Hi. I hope some one can help out. I came to the US in Jan of this year, after a long wait to join my Family. After a month or so I got my permant resident card its valid for 2 years. I have to go back home to the UK to visit my family for 6 day, I just bought my flight ticket. What I need to know is do I have to have any other paper on my return journey or will my passport and permant resident card do? I am stressed because if I need to get any papers I dont have I hope I have enough time to get them. Thank you so much
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:40 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: permanent resident Question

Originally Posted by ycats
Hi. I hope some one can help out. I came to the US in Jan of this year, after a long wait to join my Family. After a month or so I got my permant resident card its valid for 2 years. I have to go back home to the UK to visit my family for 6 day, I just bought my flight ticket. What I need to know is do I have to have any other paper on my return journey or will my passport and permant resident card do? I am stressed because if I need to get any papers I dont have I hope I have enough time to get them. Thank you so much
You're good to go. Enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:14 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Just go. Passport and permanent residence card (Green Card) are all you need. You can come in and out of the country at will as long as your passport and green card are valid.

note: if you leave the US for > 6 months that's when you have to pay a bit more attention to the rules. The issue of "green card abandonment" might come up.

But for now, enjoy your trip home.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

ycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really nice

Thank you so much. And Thanks to every one at BritishExpats .com for the help and support, I dont know what I would have done with out y'all
Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Just go. Passport and permanent residence card (Green Card) are all you need. You can come in and out of the country at will as long as your passport and green card are valid.
Strictly speaking, he just needs his Greencard. That's all he needs to enter the US, but yes, without a passport, getting on the plane to the UK might be a hassle.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Ive just got my 2 year Green Card and just returned from UK - All I had on me were GC/UK Passport and Marriage Cert (passport still in maiden name)
All was totally fine - and stood in US Citizen line and got a welcome home!!