British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   permanent resident card re-entry question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/permanent-resident-card-re-entry-question-466887/)

uktoamerica Jul 17th 2007 4:37 pm

permanent resident card re-entry question

Mmmm just a quick question - I'm traveling back to the USA after a nice break (3 weeks) in the UK... I have a permanent resident card - I presume I go in the USA passport line at my destination in America? I know how busy the airport can be so want to save time....

fatbrit Jul 17th 2007 4:38 pm

Re: permanent resident card re-entry question

Originally Posted by uktoamerica (Post 5068274)
Mmmm just a quick question - I'm traveling back to the USA after a nice break (3 weeks) in the UK... I have a permanent resident card - I presume I go in the USA passport line at my destination in America? I know how busy the airport can be so want to save time....

Usually, yes. But read the signs carefully.

hatfield1 Jul 17th 2007 5:44 pm

I have always gone to the foreign Line Show your passport and GC and you’re in. Shorter line too. They will even let my wife and son threw and they are American. :thumbsup:

TruBrit Jul 17th 2007 5:48 pm

yep, i've just been out the country for a few weeks in the uk and like you i'm a green card holder. just use the residents line, no probs :)

uktoamerica Jul 17th 2007 7:38 pm

Thanks all! Much appreciated :)

Bob Jul 17th 2007 7:53 pm

Depends on the airport, and how busy they are, but just ask someone when you get there...

Patrick Hasler Jul 20th 2007 9:13 am

Originally Posted by hatfield1 (Post 5068524)
I have always gone to the foreign Line Show your passport and GC and you’re in. Shorter line too.

You can't have been through JFK or Newark :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I am always told by INS to take the US citizen line and it's far shorter.

frrussre Jul 20th 2007 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 5081655)
You can't have been through JFK or Newark :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I am always told by INS to take the US citizen line and it's far shorter.

Ditto.
Reg. Frank R.

uktoamerica Jul 21st 2007 6:24 pm

I landed at Philadelphia airport (hate that airport!) and went to the Residents line which also had a scrolly message saying "Residents/Permanent Legal Residents" - so that was easy to follow!.... slightly shorter lines than the visitors section.

surly Jul 22nd 2007 2:27 am

Originally Posted by uktoamerica (Post 5087881)
I landed at Philadelphia airport (hate that airport!) and went to the Residents line which also had a scrolly message saying "Residents/Permanent Legal Residents" - so that was easy to follow!.... slightly shorter lines than the visitors section.

If you become a US citizen you'll have to get in the long line at LHR.

Elvira Jul 22nd 2007 2:28 am

Originally Posted by surly (Post 5088862)

Rubbish!!! :rolleyes:

surly Jul 22nd 2007 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5088865)
Rubbish!!! :rolleyes:

It certainly is not. :rolleyes:

DollyLlama Jul 22nd 2007 2:32 am

Originally Posted by surly (Post 5088862)

Not if they keep their UK passport..........

surly Jul 22nd 2007 2:37 am

Originally Posted by DollyLlama (Post 5088869)
Not if they keep their UK passport..........

I thought you where required to travel to and from the US under your US passport. Is that incorrect, and can you show me where is says you can travel to and from the US using a UK passport if you are an American Citizen.

DollyLlama Jul 22nd 2007 2:39 am

Originally Posted by surly (Post 5088874)
I thought you where required to travel to and from the US under your US passport. Is that incorrect, and can you show me where is says you can travel to and from the US using a UK passport if you are an American Citizen.

You use your US passport to leave the US and enter the US if you are a US citizen.
You can use your UK passport to enter the UK.