Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Permanent residency and home ownership

Permanent residency and home ownership

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Kraken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent residency and home ownership

My husband moved to the US from the UK about three years ago. Last January we filled out our application to have his conditional resident status switched to permanent resident status. This is being processed in Nebraska. As of today, they are processing similar applications that they recieved six days before ours.

A couple of weeks ago we were pre approved for a mortgage using my husbands income and credit to qualify. Today, our mortgage broker is concerned that her chosen lender may refuse to fund the loan due to the fact that we are still waiting on this final document. We have a contract on a house.

My question is, have any of you purchased a mortgage under similar conditions ? I am feeling really anxious about this and wonder what other folks in similar situations have done. any input would be appreciated.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:41 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent residency and home ownership

Did you get the mortgage with the caveat that he was a GC holder, or did they make the offer on whatever his status was at the time?

My wife got a mortgage while on an H1-B. They told us it was about a 1/2 % higher than it would have been if we had a GC. Never did get around to refinancing that....
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:48 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a house with a conditional GC no problems.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I bought a house with a conditional GC no problems.
Me too. Got my conditional card in the November, got the mortgage in April. And ours wasn't even a straightforward mortgage. We put no money down, 2 mortgages and had the seller pay the closing costs. No problem at all.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

KentuckyYid is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Kraken
My husband moved to the US from the UK about three years ago. Last January we filled out our application to have his conditional resident status switched to permanent resident status. This is being processed in Nebraska. As of today, they are processing similar applications that they recieved six days before ours.

A couple of weeks ago we were pre approved for a mortgage using my husbands income and credit to qualify. Today, our mortgage broker is concerned that her chosen lender may refuse to fund the loan due to the fact that we are still waiting on this final document. We have a contract on a house.

My question is, have any of you purchased a mortgage under similar conditions ? I am feeling really anxious about this and wonder what other folks in similar situations have done. any input would be appreciated.
I work in the industry and that shouldn't be a problem at all. There are a lot of liars working in the industry (sad but true) and it could be they're having other issues with your mortgage but telling you its his immigration status.

Is yours one loan up to 100% or is it a combo loan (2 loans)? If its a combo there could be problems with the second loan as they're in the non conforming market and have stricter immigrant guidelines.

Let me know if you need further help or if there is anything I could do.

Spamming I know, but if you want me too take a look at your loan and get it closed on time let me know.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 9:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kraken
Today, our mortgage broker is concerned that her chosen lender may refuse to fund the loan due to the fact that we are still waiting on this final document.

You need Mister Mortgage Broker to recall this information from the lender if it's gone out.
For their purposes, your husband is a US Legal Permanent Resident. Period.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:13 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately a preapproval isn't worth the paper its printed on; your broker is right to be worried about funding as many lenders, in light of recent events have really revised their guidelines, especially for foreign nationals...so that is why they put the status as a loan condition... BUT you still should be seen as a perm resident for all good and purposes so there shouldn't be a problem in the first place. I also say that its something else to do with your file.

IMO your broker needs to get on the horn and either find another lender to source the loan or get insight from the underwriter and/or processor as what is going on. In any event, if the loan is to be swapped, make them stick to your GFE if its in favour to you as I would be concerned about the rate(s) they are giving you and if they have changed in the interim etc.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Any mortgage professional worth their salt would have known the loan program to put you into avoiding any potential problems.

In this case a 'Flex100' or somthing similar such as 'Home Possible' would have got you through UW without doubt on his immigration status.

I'm still not buying that his status is the real issue. They're just buying time while they look at the real issue which could be something with the appraisal etc.

Is yours 100% financing?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

In our experience two years ago, the problems were all with credit rating (ours was nil at the time because we'd just come over) and not at all with immigration status (were were on H visas). The thing that would have made a major difference with struggles that we had was money for deposit. If we could have had 20% of the house value, we would have eased our way into a mortgage. But with only 5% we really struggled, though we made it in the end by sheer persistence. So I'd be surprised if you have a problem at all with the question of immigration status; I would not be surprised if you had problems related to credit ratings.

Good luck.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Goodacre
In our experience two years ago, the problems were all with credit rating (ours was nil at the time because we'd just come over) and not at all with immigration status (were were on H visas). The thing that would have made a major difference with struggles that we had was money for deposit. If we could have had 20% of the house value, we would have eased our way into a mortgage. But with only 5% we really struggled, though we made it in the end by sheer persistence. So I'd be surprised if you have a problem at all with the question of immigration status; I would not be surprised if you had problems related to credit ratings.

Good luck.
Eh?

Did you get one of those no credit rating mortages? Blimey your interest rate must be sky high! Refinance that puppy as soon as you can if true.

Without a credit score of at least 550 (with other stipulations) it would be wasting your time applying for even a sub prime mortgage.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck.
But the OP has been here 3 years, and he's married to a US citizen. He probaly has a spanky credit score right now unless his USC had a horrible score. My DH arrived here non-existant and was +780 in a year or so.

I suspect the OP has confused MMB by bringing up "conditional" when that has nothing to do with anyone *except* USCIS and MMB doesn't know what it means and has confused Mister Lender.

Is Missus OP on the loan as well?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

Originally Posted by KentuckyYid
Eh?

Did you get one of those no credit rating mortages? Blimey your interest rate must be sky high! Refinance that puppy as soon as you can if true.

Without a credit score of at least 550 (with other stipulations) it would be wasting your time applying for even a sub prime mortgage.
No, we managed to get a really good rate by getting an International Credit Check (which basically meant them phoning up all our British lenders) and showing them employer's letters and the like, so we landed on our feet after a struggle.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
But the OP has been here 3 years, and he's married to a US citizen. He probaly has a spanky credit score right now unless his USC had a horrible score. My DH arrived here non-existant and was +780 in a year or so.

I suspect the OP has confused MMB by bringing up "conditional" when that has nothing to do with anyone *except* USCIS and MMB doesn't know what it means and has confused Mister Lender.

Is Missus OP on the loan as well?
Right -- that was what made me think that they should be fine. In other words credit score is more important than residency, at least in our experience.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

No, we managed to get a really good rate by getting an International Credit Check (which basically meant them phoning up all our British lenders) and showing them employer's letters and the like, so we landed on our feet after a struggle.
Funny that, I mentioned international credit reports in another thread just today.

They're a good get out if you need it.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:06 pm
Russell Beattie

rbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nice

I originaally came over on a H1B and bought a house after 1 year. The H1B status was not a problem and I got a good finance rate. I would look to another lender who will guide you better.